Guest viewing is limited

Japan and ... Overtime

At my workplace we have to submit a timesheet every month, but we aren't allowed to write more than 8 hours worked per day. Even though it is not uncommon for some people to be in the office for more than 12 hours...

Reactions: Yuriko
i don't want to work in Japan...unless i was a private business owner.
In my home country i make a very healthy salary working 37.5 hours a week with maybe 5 hours of overtime per month.
I cant imagine working 12 hours a day!

Canada seems a great country to live. I like J. Trudeau very much. ☺️

pathetic...
overtime is more or less what people do here...
of course people should feel free to play their cards, so just kick it...
people who dont stick with the japanese work ethics dont really work here..

Think you're referring to my message about Pokémon. Actually all of the Pokémon players here are Japanese. I learnt a lot about a salaryman's psyche through Pokémon Go...

Ive worked for 2 Japanese companies. both were basically day-care for adults. nobody does very much all day, long meetings in the morning, long lunch breaks, cigarette breaks, more meetings. Then at 4pm everyone starts to get motivated to come up with things to do, and actually start working, and they remain busy until about 8 or 9pm, then they spend 30 mins to 1 hour going to a convenience store to get dinner and eating at their desks. then do some more work or chat to each other, then leave, claiming they have worked a 12-13 hour day when actually they've probably done 4-5 hours actual work. repeat x 5 then sleep all weekend. back in on Monday.

I think people's experience in here are similar to mine. Productivity and deliverables are not measures like in the West, decision making is convoluted and people aren't particularly efficient.

The company where I work is trying to reduce overtime. Easiest way to do this is to actually pay all managers overtime and judge people on doing things rather than attending 8 hours of mundane meetings.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Think you're referring to my message about Pokémon. Actually all of the Pokémon players here are Japanese. I learnt a lot about a salaryman's psyche through Pokémon Go...
But, wait... if its Pokemon Go by definition they arent supposed to stay at the office, right?

Reactions: Smokyyoshi
I had plenty to do today but managed to achieve 70% of work and left work at 18:15. I could have gone staying until 22:00, to combat one task after another, if I need to achieve in stupid demand, but I don't give a shit. lol. Number of tasks are on the other end, waiting to be updated, I didn't reply, ones that got replied from UK, after 17:00, Didn't contact places, where I was going to,,,didn't search contact venues for year end party,,,so there are some tasks you can do it the next day. If you can't do that, just go on and on endlessly, you may kill yourself, ended up being severely depressed, severly pesimistic, can't wake up in the morning.., commit suiside on Chuo line commuter train,..etc. You don't want to und up like that, you see. what you need to do? it's impostant to drop things and do it another day.

I had plenty to do today but managed to achieve 70% of work and left work at 18:15. I could have gone staying until 22:00, to combat one task after another, if I need to achieve in stupid demand, but I don't give a shit. lol. Number of tasks are on the other end, waiting to be updated, I didn't reply, ones that got replied from UK, after 17:00, Didn't contact places, where I was going to,,,didn't search contact venues for year end party,,,so there are some tasks you can do it the next day. If you can't do that, just go on and on endlessly, you may kill yourself, ended up being severely depressed, severly pesimistic, can't wake up in the morning.., commit suiside on Chuo line commuter train,..etc. You don't want to und up like that, you see. what you need to do? it's impostant to drop things and do it another day.
Absolutely! :)

Reactions: Yuriko
When I was working for Japanese companies I usually refused to do OT and said very clearly that I need to spend time with my wife if I don't want her to spend time with someone else.

When I was working for Japanese companies I usually refused to do OT and said very clearly that I need to spend time with my wife if I don't want her to spend time with someone else.

And did they reply : "oh you're still young , in 10 years you will screw other women and talk about it on a pervs forum?":)

That's got me thinking. How many people could you be sleeping with every month instead of working overtime....
we don't live to work, we work to live.
I don't need to earn more and live less, I don't even do nomikai, I want to drink with my friends not with people I see everyday at work.

Reactions: cabbie and Frenchy
I work in a very japanese company. And from what i have observed, i have realised that most of my colleagues really do not have a life which is reflective of their replie when i ask them how their weekend was etc.. responded by the usual cleaning or reading a book reply.

As an extension to that, i can clearly tell that they love sitting in office for no reason other than to just chat and not be in the presence of their wives with whom they have zero intimacy left anyways. Its like the more time you spend in office, the bigger your dick is. Luckily my supervisor is a family oriented person and leaves as soon as the work is done. And is also the most effective senior manager of the lot.

Reactions: ur19877
reading a book reply
Reading is a quite mind broadening hobby. I dont see how someone who spends their weekends reading would be more braindead than someone who goes into the outdoor for example.

Also most Japanese people I've encountered dont even have their weekends off, lol

Reactions: Muku1 and MikeH
Reading is a quite mind broadening hobby. I dont see how someone who spends their weekends reading would be more braindead than someone who goes into the outdoor for example.

Also most Japanese people I've encountered dont even have their weekends off, lol
was gonna say the same thing. Ive not worked with many people interesting enough that would've spent their weekend reading.

Correct. I agree. My point was that reading is still anti social and that they still dont have any people to interact with outside office life