Guest viewing is limited

Japan ISP's - A Fresh Look - Best Performance vs Cost?

TAG Manager

Executive Leadership
Reaction score
I've been in Japan for ~15 years and believe it or not, I've kept the same contract for ISP service at my home and former apartments since I've been here. I went through a few upgrades over time but now I have NTT FLETS Hikari 1gpbs service with a selected ISP.

Sadly, the current ISP or my neighborhood has become over saturated and from 4pm until the next morning, download speeds are severely neutered to the point of running at or below 5mbps and sometimes even 1mbps. (upstream isn't really affected, I can still upload at 200-600mbps reliably even during the evening hours) - During the daytime, the network runs at ~400-800mbps on average. With this information, I have eliminated localized network issues from my fiber line into the house and the internal home network. (it's clean and well configured) I've even run tests to configure the most optimal MTU for NTT's PPPoE implementation. (For tech people, I have an optimized 1gpbs internal home network with a proper switch and a router running Merlin)

So, that all said... I've been looking at new ISP options and reading reviews in Japanese to figure out what the best possible option is that doesn't become useless in the evening hours. (I need at least 10-20mbps of reliable downstream bandwidth in the evening hours)

Right now, I'm focused on NURO but still doing my own review research. Also, I prefer FTTP connections, not the coaxial broadband or wireless solutions.

I'm curious for people reading TAG that reside in Japan - What are you ISP experiences?

I guess I'm looking for feedback, especially if you have NURO Hikari line. Also would like to hear from SoftBank line users since that's another service that I'm considering.

For a benchmark - my current ISP costs come to ~4,300 yen which is rolled into my overall NTT bill which totals to 8,000 yen for all services that I get that are billed through NTT. (Again 1gpbs line speed, non-IPv6)

Cost isn't much of an issue so long as the performance and reliability is there. My current service was great for years but recently in the past year or so, it's really become unreliable. It's gotten to the point of relying on my iPhone hotspot to get some things done. :(

Thanks in advance for any input you'd like to share.

I can’t get too technical with my advice or ISP situation because I simply don’t have that kind of knowledge or skills, but my basic situation at home is using NURO Hikari. Not 100% on the cost, but I’m fairly sure it’s under ¥5000 per month. The ball and chain would never open the purse strings for anything more than that.

Also, we just have the internet connection, no fancy cable channel package like you can get with AU Hikari.

In terms of speed, again I can’t give you specific numerical details, but I can say that in the 2.5 years we’ve had NURO, I’ve never once had speed issues. I watch high-res videos on YouTube, Netflix and Amazon Prime in those prime usage hours you mentioned and I’ve never had an issue with lagginess.

One caveat should be that I live in the burbs up in Saitama, and my area is all houses and small apartment buildings. No big mansions with concentrated populations.

In sum, I have NURO and I’m very satisfied.

In sum, I have NURO and I’m very satisfied.
Thanks for your feedback. If you don't mind, could you run a few samples of your connection at various points of the day using fast.com? (standard config, just use default options when you enter the page)
I randomly use speedtest.net as well but I find that fast.com is more static in reliability of real-world numbers.

My streaming (YT, NetFlix, Hulu, etc) is usually okay - that traffic seems to be prioritized over other types of traffic. My business work takes a beating when I need stable bandwidth.
In my other business, I deal with large tables of data which require the bandwidth to effectively work with them with my local tools.

Thanks for your feedback. If you don't mind, could you run a few samples of your connection at various points of the day using fast.com? (standard config, just use default options when you enter the page)
I randomly use speedtest.net as well but I find that fast.com is more static in reliability of real-world numbers.

My streaming (YT, NetFlix, Hulu, etc) is usually okay - that traffic seems to be prioritized over other types of traffic. My business work takes a beating when I need stable bandwidth.
In my other business, I deal with large tables of data which require the bandwidth to effectively work with them with my local tools.
Yeah sure thing. I’ll have a go when I get home today. FWIW, email downloads are quite quick too. I get files upwards of 20~30mb, and they download in just a few seconds.

Yeah sure thing. I’ll have a go when I get home today. FWIW, email downloads are quite quick too. I get files upwards of 20~30mb, and they download in just a few seconds.
Cheers. Good to know... if I happen to be home during the day, my current config works great. Evenings just are painful... :(

Reactions: SoapFTW
Lunchtime and my DoCoMo Wi-Fi keeps consistent speeds. (although they have bad days too... but not as bad as my home service at night!)

docomo_2019_12_11.JPG

Reactions: SoapFTW
I got a 61 speed using fast. I'm in a highrise with the whole floor (8 units) using the same so daytime is a lot faster and after lets say 7pm it can be a pinch slower for streaming but everynight is different. Weekends suck that's for sure.

Netflix has been a problem but it's my machine I think. (not a puter geek at all)

Your Internet speed is

Mbps

Show more info
Latency

Unloaded
6 ms

Loaded
28 ms

Upload
Speed
70 Mbps
Client Hachioji, JP X So-net

Server(s) Tokyo, JP | Osaka-shi, Osaka, JP
Settings 70MB
160MB

I got a 61 speed using fast. I'm in a highrise with the whole floor (8 units) using the same so daytime is a lot faster and after lets say 7pm it can be a pinch slower for streaming but everynight is different. Weekends suck that's for sure.

Netflix has been a problem but it's my machine I think. (not a puter geek at all)
Yeah, that's a hard issue when you're on a shared line. In reality, we're all on a shared line of some type. Just depends on how saturated that line is.
Netflix is fairly adaptable to devices and the connection used - it'll run fine on PC/Devices that are 10+ years old. (maybe not super HD, but usable)

Thanks Chris, like I said.......have no idea but at least some feedback eh

Reactions: TAG Manager
Yeah, that's a hard issue when you're on a shared line. In reality, we're all on a shared line of some type. Just depends on how saturated that line is.
Netflix is fairly adaptable to devices and the connection used - it'll run fine on PC/Devices that are 10+ years old. (maybe not super HD, but usable)
The trouble I get with Netflix is I'll get past the initial screen with my name on it and then the menu hit, I put my mouse on it and it freezes.....can't do anything.. Need to restart. Machine is 5 years old and kinda custom made (games) but it's got bugs.

I usually use speedtest so I can the pretty colors and graph.

I have NURO and I am more than happy. I pay like 4000yen for a 2Gbps connection. I don't know huw much the real speed is, but I top up the WiFi connection for sure. Netflix at 4K works without issues at any time of the day.

The only issue is that I had to pay for them to bring the fiber until home, but only once.

I’m lucky - building has a dedicated connection direct with KDDI shared between residents, we kind of are our own ISP. . I’ve never had an issue, we have good QOS on the routers making sure no data hogs (mainly me... ) impact other residents.

In my other business, I deal with large tables of data which require the bandwidth to effectively work with them with my local tools
I don’t live in Japan so not much help from me there. But if streaming media is ok, then is it really congestion or just prioritized throttling? Have you tried running behind a VPN? Whenever my throughput is taking a hit I noticed I can get a lot of my speed back just by going through my VPN. Granted, by nature of the VPN it’s not max speed and ping does goes up, but it’s still better than the throttled speeds for me.

I've been in Japan for ~15 years and believe it or not, I've kept the same contract for ISP service at my home and former apartments since I've been here. I went through a few upgrades over time but now I have NTT FLETS Hikari 1gpbs service with a selected ISP.

Sadly, the current ISP or my neighborhood has become over saturated and from 4pm until the next morning, download speeds are severely neutered to the point of running at or below 5mbps and sometimes even 1mbps. (upstream isn't really affected, I can still upload at 200-600mbps reliably even during the evening hours) - During the daytime, the network runs at ~400-800mbps on average. With this information, I have eliminated localized network issues from my fiber line into the house and the internal home network. (it's clean and well configured) I've even run tests to configure the most optimal MTU for NTT's PPPoE implementation. (For tech people, I have an optimized 1gpbs internal home network with a proper switch and a router running Merlin)

So, that all said... I've been looking at new ISP options and reading reviews in Japanese to figure out what the best possible option is that doesn't become useless in the evening hours. (I need at least 10-20mbps of reliable downstream bandwidth in the evening hours)

Right now, I'm focused on NURO but still doing my own review research. Also, I prefer FTTP connections, not the coaxial broadband or wireless solutions.

I'm curious for people reading TAG that reside in Japan - What are you ISP experiences?

I guess I'm looking for feedback, especially if you have NURO Hikari line. Also would like to hear from SoftBank line users since that's another service that I'm considering.

For a benchmark - my current ISP costs come to ~4,300 yen which is rolled into my overall NTT bill which totals to 8,000 yen for all services that I get that are billed through NTT. (Again 1gpbs line speed, non-IPv6)

Cost isn't much of an issue so long as the performance and reliability is there. My current service was great for years but recently in the past year or so, it's really become unreliable. It's gotten to the point of relying on my iPhone hotspot to get some things done. :(

Thanks in advance for any input you'd like to share.

This thread just answered my most recent question I posted...well for you that is.

I don’t live in Japan so not much help from me there. But if streaming media is ok, then is it really congestion or just prioritized throttling? Have you tried running behind a VPN? Whenever my throughput is taking a hit I noticed I can get a lot of my speed back just by going through my VPN. Granted, by nature of the VPN it’s not max speed and ping does goes up, but it’s still better than the throttled speeds for me.

VPN does not fix the local bottleneck. It still has to pass through the same pipe to get out and come back in.

Asahi Net aggressively throttles. You may not notice it with regular use but when I had to do a reinstall I hit the very modest limit and was pegged at some ridiculous limit like 128k/s for 24hr

VPN does not fix the local bottleneck. It still has to pass through the same pipe to get out and come back in.
Yeah it won’t fix an actual bottleneck. But if that ‘bottleneck’ is due to ISP throttling under the guise of ‘congestion,’ it could help is what I was getting at. Perhaps the situation in Japan is different (and better) than it is in the states with some of our shadier ISPs. Lol.

Asahi Net aggressively throttles. You may not notice it with regular use but when I had to do a reinstall I hit the very modest limit and was pegged at some ridiculous limit like 128k/s for 24hr
Asahi is a known problem; it's a definite avoid... lol

Yeah it won’t fix an actual bottleneck. But if that ‘bottleneck’ is due to ISP throttling under the guise of ‘congestion,’ it could help is what I was getting at. Perhaps the situation in Japan is different (and better) than it is in the states with some of our shadier ISPs. Lol.
I'll have to run some load tests with heavy streaming to see if it chokes out or not during one of the heavily-throttled times. They may just be simply cutting downstream bandwidth, no matter what the traffic type is.
Within the past year, there was significant, noticeable change on the network. Before I had the 1gbps line, it was a 200mbps line and the hardware wasn't changed... just the line speed. During the time I had the 200 line, it was at peak performance most of the time. Even after I got the 1gbps line, I was seeing ~300-700mpbs regularly. Now, in the evenings,I can easily upload a 5gb data file with a steady 300mbps, but download that same file again? ...come back in a couple of hours. Haha.

Reactions: Acid Burn
fast.com at ca. 17:20 says 60 Mbps. NTT Hikari/OCN, connection is fibre coming into the house from the utility pole in the street (western Tokyo). I assume it's a 100mbps connection (speedtest.net says download 100/upload 89). Have had it since about 2011 and no real issues, or noticeable slowdowns at particular times. Don't use any streaming services apart from Youtube though...

19:45 tonight, 40mbps on NURO. Nothing dazzling, but nothing feels slow either.

Attachments

• 70F48F73-D8F8-4A25-81EA-79ED37BE0626.png
    70F48F73-D8F8-4A25-81EA-79ED37BE0626.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 130
Those tests are useless, bandwidth management software recognises them and doesn't touch it. Do an SSL upload and watch your speed drop.

Reactions: Acid Burn
Those tests are useless, bandwidth management software recognises them and doesn't touch it. Do an SSL upload and watch your speed drop.

They are fine for the purpose at hand. (y)