Guest viewing is limited

Japan Opening Up? From April 8, 2022 | Now October 11, 2022 - Normal Tourism.

TAG Manager

Executive Leadership
Reaction score
Update: October 11th details have been updated:

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

==========================================================================

Previous stuff below is out of date.....

Just caught this article passing through the news....

https://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_...OwX5VUZ_zsUoySLHPN8-vnJUqnoUGnaDaDkYuyY2naSDQ

【速報】米英仏など106か国の入国拒否を解除 あさってから (From Friday, April 8, 2022)

政府は先ほど、新型コロナウイルスの水際対策について、アメリカやイギリス、フランスをはじめ、ヨーロッパやアジアなどの106か国の入国拒否措置を解除することを決定しました。

政府は先ほど、国家安全保障会議の緊急事態大臣会合を持ち回りで開催し、106か国の入国拒否をあさってから解除し、水際措置を緩和することを決定しました。

対象国の感染状況やワクチン接種状況などを総合的に判断したもので、解除の対象になるのは、▽北米のアメリカやカナダ、▽ヨーロッパのイギリス、フランス、ドイツ、イタリア、▽アジアのタイやインドネシアなどです。一方、入国拒否措置が継続されるのはロシアやイラク、エチオピアなど56の国と地域となります。

Last edited:
Reactions: Camellia Marie
What exactly does it mean? Moving towards opening to tourism? I'll wait for anymore statements, but seems like good news!

What exactly does it mean? Moving towards opening to tourism? I'll wait for anymore statements, but seems like good news!
They've updated the restrictions page:

For the time being, foreign nationals who have stayed in any of the following 159 countries/regions within 14 days prior to the application for landing are denied to enter Japan in pursuant to the Article 5, paragraph (1), item (xiv) of Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, unless special exceptional circumstances are found. Note that foreigners (from the countries and regions where the entry bans do not apply) are not denied to enter Japan even when they arrive in Japan via those countries or regions, which are subject to denial of permission to entry, for refueling or transit purpose. Those who entered those countries or regions will, however, be subject to the entry ban.

The following 106 countries will not be subject to denial of permission to enter Japan from 0:00 am (JST) on April 8, 2022.

• Asia: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Timor-Leste
  • Oceania: Fiji
  • North America: Canada, United States of America
  • Latin America and the Caribbean: Argentine, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guyana, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela
  • Europe: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan, Vatican
  • Middle East: Bahrain, Israel, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates
  • Africa: Botswana, Cabo Verde, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Rwanda, Seychelles, Tunisia
It sounds like that as long as you meet the entry conditions, tourists will be allowed back in... (Edit: Not tourists, I don't think... based on how it's written.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken1988
They've updated the restrictions page:

It sounds like that as long as you meet the entry conditions, tourists will be allowed back in...
This is the most Japanese way to say this type of stuff, lol. They just can't be frank and straight forward about it. Interesting to say the least, though. Going to wait a couple more days for more news on it. I just entered the country ~2 weeks ago for work, too..

FWIW, a Japanese delegation came to our city this week to meet with elected officials and speak at a major tourism conference, where the spokesperson announced that Japanese tourism would return in full force by this June. Granted, they made no mention of when American tourists would be granted reciprocal considerations but this definitely hints at a slow shift toward reopening.

Now, the downside to that: It seems like everyone (and I mean fucking EVERYONE) I speak to on the West Coast and in Honolulu is planning a trip to Japan just as soon as it's open again. Why? They don't know. Where in Japan? They don't know (or either Tokyo or Kyoto, just because). I suspect it's much like with awful children. If you tell them they can't have something, they only want it more. You tell idiot, snowflake millennials that they can't come to Japan and they suddenly want to come over more badly than ever and for no good reason at all.

So get ready. Aside from the screaming, spitting hordes of Middle Kingdom curb-squatters in need of Japanese make-up, condoms and tampons, you've got throngs of cheap, restless Western idiots just dying to go dress up like a Geisha in Kyoto or jam up the turnstyle window at the JR stations all across Tokyo asking stupid fucking questions about their rail passes and throwing in three or four Japanese words so they can tell their friends back home in Eugene, OR how cultured they are.

I already booked my tickets for November. So, yeah.

FWIW, a Japanese delegation came to our city this week to meet with elected officials and speak at a major tourism conference, where the spokesperson announced that Japanese tourism would return in full force by this June. Granted, they made no mention of when American tourists would be granted reciprocal considerations but this definitely hints at a slow shift toward reopening.

Now, the downside to that: It seems like everyone (and I mean fucking EVERYONE) I speak to on the West Coast and in Honolulu is planning a trip to Japan just as soon as it's open again. Why? They don't know. Where in Japan? They don't know (or either Tokyo or Kyoto, just because). I suspect it's much like with awful children. If you tell them they can't have something, they only want it more. You tell idiot, snowflake millennials that they can't come to Japan and they suddenly want to come over more badly than ever and for no good reason at all.

So get ready. Aside from the screaming, spitting hordes of Middle Kingdom curb-squatters in need of Japanese make-up, condoms and tampons, you've got throngs of cheap, restless Western idiots just dying to go dress up like a Geisha in Kyoto or jam up the turnstyle window at the JR stations all across Tokyo asking stupid fucking questions about their rail passes and throwing in three or four Japanese words so they can tell their friends back home in Eugene, OR how cultured they are.

This one was epic ! Thanks! :)
(But seriously getting used again to loud and clueless Chinese, Americans, Brits, Frogs etc will take some patience and efforts )

Reactions: Keihan
I doubt all countries would be on the list. Would depend more on those countries getting their stuff in order in the next few months I’d imagine more so than anything Japan can or would do.

Reactions: Cinnabums

faf.png

Tornado = all the westerners arriving to Japan day 1 tourism opens
Man = everyone else in Japan

Luckily I arrived here for business not so long ago, so I'm good! ;)

Reactions: Requiemmorrow
The Immigration Law's Article 5.1.14 is no longer applied to the entries from those 106 countries. Until now, their "lifting entry restrictions" was based on their widening the list of exemptions to that clause (returning residents, spouses, relatives, new entries for enrolling uni, etc.). As 5.1.14's gone, they stop screening if your case is on the list of exemptions when you apply for a visa.

As the MOFA statement says, they have suspended the visa waiver program for all countries (US, Canada included). They will maintain an entry quota and control the number of entries through visa issuance for the foreseeable future. They will probably ask you to apply for a tourist visa even after they resume accepting tourists. That said, there is no vaccine requirement for entry to Japan.

faf.png

Tornado = all the westerners arriving to Japan day 1 tourism opens
Man = everyone else in Japan

Luckily I arrived here for business not so long ago, so I'm good! ;)

You hit right on the spot!
Honestly, although tourism is good for the economy I feel quite happy walking around Japan major cities and not to be bothered by a huge wave of lousy tourists.

You hit right on the spot!
Honestly, although tourism is good for the economy I feel quite happy walking around Japan major cities and not to be bothered by a huge wave of lousy tourists.

Chinese tourists abused the business track scheme in 2020, and they will do it again (use business visa for tourism purposes). You'd better hurry.

You can come and go as you please. You will need a PCR to return and depending on your vaccine status and where you come back from will determine the quarantine requirements. (You may need a PCR test to leave Japan depending on your destination)

Example: Coming back from US with vaccine+booster, you just need to do a PCR test before you board and when you land in Japan. If it’s negative - you can go home by train and no quarantine requirement. (As of now, it could change)

You can come and go as you please. You will need a PCR to return and depending on your vaccine status and where you come back from will determine the quarantine requirements. (You may need a PCR test to leave Japan depending on your destination)

Example: Coming back from US with vaccine+booster, you just need to do a PCR test before you board and when you land in Japan. If it’s negative - you can go home by train and no quarantine requirement. (As of now, it could change)

As long as they stick with PCR on entry, they’ll cap it. Too difficult to go above 10k tests a day.

Given where I am from, getting a PCR test overseas is a real pain in my ass. I wish they’d eliminate that…

Reactions: TAG Manager
What is exactly required to prove that you are traveling on business? Have some colleagues from the US planning to come over but hard to understand if a visa is required or not.

Reactions: cuckhimnow
Reactions: Maxblack
Visa waiver program is suspended, so yes, a visa is required.

And they still have all the requirements and restrictions in place they had six months ago.

Amongst other stuff you need to submit a visiting plan listing all the meetings you will have with participation lists and your previous travels for the preceding 14 days for example.

Also the inviting company is then responsible if you don't follow the plan or manage to get covid or some other STD during your trip.

Yesterday I saw in the news that relatives, more so first and second grade family are able to enter japan to see their children with residence status. I forgot to save the link…
This would still have to be discussed with each embassy but seems to be possible.

Yesterday I saw in the news that relatives, more so first and second grade family are able to enter japan to see their children with residence status. I forgot to save the link…
This would still have to be discussed with each embassy but seems to be possible.
This is what you are referring to I believe:

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/...-now-enter-japan-for-short-term-visits-041322

Family members of foreign residents can now enter Japan for short-term visits
Japan is granting visas to first- and second-degree relatives of foreign residents, namely parents and children

Japan has been taking its time in easing border restrictions. While there are no immediate plans to reopen for tourism just yet, the government has begun expanding its scope of visa eligibility, especially for new entries into Japan.

According to a Japan Times report which quoted a Foreign Ministry official, the country has recently begun granting visas to first- and second-degree relatives of foreign residents, in addition to foreign students and business travellers. First- and second-degree relatives include parents, siblings, grandparents and grandchildren. While the daily reports that visas are issued on a ‘case-by-case basis’, the following are examples of those who may be eligible for a short-term stay in Japan.
  • Immediate relatives (of first- and second-degree) of permanent residents or Japanese nationals who want to visit Japan

• Family members who need to care for a foreign resident in Japan or who need to travel to Japan for bereavement purposes

• Family members who need to accompany a minor to Japan, or those who cannot travel independently
Spouses and children of Japanese nationals and permanent residents are already eligible for visas prior to this most recent ease in restrictions. However, fiancés or partners who cannot legally prove their relationship are not eligible for a visa. Foreign nationals who are seeking to reunite with family members in Japan are encouraged to contact their designated embassies or consulates for guidance.

Reactions: Sudsy