Japanese Mobil Number Required

Huncock

TAG Member
Reaction score
Would it be easy to get pre-paid local sim card or sim with phone around the airport or would it be better to get one in town?

Also if you could help with some insight of companies or deals or anything really.

I looked at a few sites, where they do require mobil number before sending the girl to the hotel,

Ta

Would it be easy to get pre-paid local sim card or sim with phone around the airport or would it be better to get one in town?

Also if you could help with some insight of companies or deals or anything really.

I looked at a few sites, where they do require mobil number before sending the girl to the hotel,

Ta

Your best best is to check with the SIM card providers at the airports. Narita has quite a few options to choose from. It is highly recommended to do this at the airport... It is possible in-town, but much more expensive and a little harder to find.

If you have a phone that unlocked, you can just get a SIM card. s
If your phone is locked, you'll need to get rental phone.

Your best best is to check with the SIM card providers at the airports. Narita has quite a few options to choose from. It is highly recommended to do this at the airport... It is possible in-town, but much more expensive and a little harder to find.

These rental phones- are there any that are IPhone quality, I.e. they can take photos, get online, etc. ?

These rental phones- are there any that are IPhone quality, I.e. they can take photos, get online, etc. ?

The last time I actually looked: They were the old clam-shell types.

I'd say that most pro-travelers bring their own unlocked iPhone/Android and just pick up a pre-paid SIM card. (Data & Voice)

Don't expect much from actual rental handsets.

You can rent SIM cards at the airport but a) you have to make sure they have them in stock, because sometimes they don't, and b) your phone has to already be unlocked in order to utilize them.

Thanks heaps.

I'll have my unrestricted iPhone with me, but also looking to buy a new one and give this one to my mrs.

Is Narita Duty Free would be a good place to buy one or does not really matter? Would be any difference between providers over there? I prefer to top-up online, which is easy and convenient, not to run around town to find a kiosk or whatever they call them over there! ;)

Thanks heaps.

I'll have my unrestricted iPhone with me, but also looking to buy a new one and give this one to my mrs.

Is Narita Duty Free would be a good place to buy one or does not really matter? Would be any difference between providers over there? I prefer to top-up online, which is easy and convenient, not to run around town to find a kiosk or whatever they call them over there! ;)

The only thing you need to know is which formats fit:

i.e. SoftBank & DoCoMo (GSM) work interchangeably... AU (CDMA) does not. In the case of the iPhone, you just need to have one or the other. Personally, I reccomend getting a regular GSM model that works on SoftBank or DoCoMo networks. (Note: a number of SIM card resellers sell airtime on NTT DoCoMo's backbone...)

It doesn't matter who/where you buy it from, only that it's unlocked (SIM free) and has the correct radio.

Reactions: Huncock