Japanese Music Recommendations?

ManOverboard

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello!
This is my first post here, and and its about music not a review lol
I've been here on TAG for a couple of months just reading your reviews and enjoying every minute of it.

Last November when i was in Japan for the first time i got rly fascinated about Japanese Music. In the shops, bars or ramen place, i just loved much of it. But i never knew what song was playing so if you have any recommendations anywhere from Rap - Pop - Deathcore ( lol ) im all ears .

I've started listening to some Japanese artists like:

-Gen Hoshino
-ONE OK ROCK
-Mai Kuraki
-Man with a Mission

So if you any1 of you have any reccomendations at all that would be great!
Thanks in advance :)

Not sure if you're into Japanese VK rock, but "the Gazette" is one of my favourites, "Dir En Grey" or "Deathgaze" if you are into heavier styles. As for female vocals, "Aimer" is a good start, "wagakki band" as well as EGOIST are good too. Well the Japanese music scene is pretty deep overall, like exploring an ocean so I'm just giving you some recommendations to start, would be good to know what genre you like too.

Not sure if you're into Japanese VK rock, but "the Gazette" is one of my favourites, "Dir En Grey" or "Deathgaze" if you are into heavier styles. As for female vocals, "Aimer" is a good start, "wagakki band" as well as EGOIST are good too. Well the Japanese music scene is pretty deep overall, like exploring an ocean so I'm just giving you some recommendations to start, would be good to know what genre you like too.
Well The Gazette where actually pretty good ^^ Dir En Grey was somehow not my style but Deathgaze actually where.
I liked the way Aimer sounds, but dont rly know where in her discography to start :geek: mabe from the beginning

I actually dont rly have an fav genre, but i love me some metalcore stuff, but i dunno if that scene is as big in Japanese as it is in Eu :happy:

Thanks for the recommendations

Reactions: sohelpmegoat
If you're into VK, maybe try Acid Black Cherry. They are pretty popular for a good reason. My personal favorite songs are "aishitenai" and "spell magic". The singer is 40 years old but he still got the loooooooks!

Lately I'm into Gacharic Spin. Hot girls and super talented. They also have two spin off projects, Metallic Spin where they dress up like 70/80's era metal bands and do classic metal covers and Doll $ Boxx, which sadly was a one off album deal with Fuki Commune lead vocalist from Lightbringer. Girl can sing.

I'm not into Jpop and stuff like akb and other industrial music
I used to like "the blue hearts" in my first years in Japan

love me some metalcore stuff
You can check out girugamesh, but they've disbanded due to the vocalist health problems which is sad because they're so good. If you liked Deathgaze, the band Lynch. will probably interest you, the vocalist of Lynch. was the first vocalist when Deathgaze first formed. Anyway Deathgaze has been on indefinite hiatus for a few years now but their vocalist Ai has been doing solo projects and it closely resembles the style of Deathgaze since he composes most of the music.

Reactions: Pansexual latina
If you're into VK, maybe try Acid Black Cherry. They are pretty popular for a good reason. My personal favorite songs are "aishitenai" and "spell magic". The singer is 40 years old but he still got the loooooooks!
Forgot to reply to this due to me driving at the time, you should check out the band Janne de Arc, he started out with the band but the band went on hiatus, since then he's been doing his solo project Acid Black Cherry.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
My observation - kpop > jpop . If you have to go local, kpop is good enough.

But if you have to, babymetal or radwimps.
Ok this is confusing, how is kpop local in Japan, and kpop albums or singles barely sell in Japan barring a few and when they do they don't even top the charts. Babymetal is regarded is idol rock/metal, yes that's a thing, they're similar to ladybaby (now disbanded and reformed as BRATS), Radwimps is also a rock band although on the softer side of things.

Ok this is confusing, how is kpop local in Japan, and kpop albums or singles barely sell in Japan barring a few and when they do they don't even top the charts. Babymetal is regarded is idol rock/metal, yes that's a thing, they're similar to ladybaby (now disbanded and reformed as BRATS), Radwimps is also a rock band although on the softer side of things.
Well, there are a few kpop songs that are so popular they got a Japanese version ("fantastic baby" really has a cult status here) and you see those advertisement trucks driving through promoting the very famous kgroups who visit Japan, but i agree that less popular groups would have a hard time getting their feet on the ground here. And its just not local if its Korean and not Japanese.

Reactions: Wwanderer
very famous kgroups who visit Japan
Yeah I agree with this they would have to be really famous beforehand to really have an impact on the Japanese market, which would be limited to a select few, even then their sales numbers can't compare to the big ones in Japan. To be honest I'm not a fan of bigbang, I don't like the "sound" of their music it annoys me very much after awhile, when I say "sound" I mean an artist's musical profile/individuality, but that's another topic besides the thread here so I won't dive into it.

Their song CRISIS was very good but i cant find it on spotify :(

You can check out girugamesh, but they've disbanded due to the vocalist health problems which is sad because they're so good. If you liked Deathgaze, the band Lynch. will probably interest you, the vocalist of Lynch. was the first vocalist when Deathgaze first formed. Anyway Deathgaze has been on indefinite hiatus for a few years now but their vocalist Ai has been doing solo projects and it closely resembles the style of Deathgaze since he composes most of the music.
Girugamesh was actually pretty good, and my they have many songs on Soptify so that makes me happy lol
they felt like a more melodic version of Crossfaith

Lately I'm into Gacharic Spin. Hot girls and super talented. They also have two spin off projects, Metallic Spin where they dress up like 70/80's era metal bands and do classic metal covers and Doll $ Boxx, which sadly was a one off album deal with Fuki Commune lead vocalist from Lightbringer. Girl can sing.
The cool thing with Gacharic Spin was that the lead singer was the drummer too, it looked like it on youtube anyways

the blue hearts
LINDA LINDA LINDAAAAA

My observation - kpop > jpop . If you have to go local, kpop is good enough.

But if you have to, babymetal or radwimps.
Yeah Babymetal is dope, but havent found a song by them that i actually like ^^

Try Passcode.

Gacharic Spin is kind of interesting in that way, they originally started out with a dedicated vocalist, but after she left (and later sadly died from complications from treatment at a hospital) instead of getting a new one, Hana just took over the singing along with most of the other members chipping in.

Eventually they realized the audience wasn't getting hyped because they didn't have a central figure to focus on so they hired two dancers who, unlike most bands who don't credit their dancers, have the same billing as full members. Pretty much all of them except TOMO-ZO has experience doing vocals.

Also Koga, the bassist, used to be a bikini model. Hot as fuck. She actually binds her breasts when performing otherwise they get in the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Nujabes has always been one of my favorites. His songs were just so relaxing. He falls under hip hop/jazz and to some extent rap when other artists are featured in his songs. Definitely worth a listen in my opinion.

Acid Mothers Temple, Ruins, Boris, Ghost, Mono, Keiji Haino, Taku Sugimoto, OOIOO, Rovo, Envy, Ogre You Asshole.