Guest viewing is limited

Japanese SIM cards

sohelpmegoat

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I'm flying over tomorrow would like to know if it's possible to buy a temporary Japanese SIM card with data at the airport?

Seems like I asked too late to pre book the card for pickup, but I'll look around the airport for some, need the data for Google maps.
I'm quite sure they sell it in the airport but in case you don't find it you can buy it in Yodobashi or Bic Camera. I bought one there last summer, I used it for maps too but mostly for line or messenger.

Reactions: sohelpmegoat
Bic camera has a variety of plans, but all those are data only. You won't get a regular phone number.
Yeah, that's fine actually since I only need the data for google maps for directions. First time in Tokyo and the city is 8 times larger in terms on square miles and 10 times denser in terms of population than the capital in my country, I don't like my prospects if I get lost without any data :confused:

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
There are multiple places downstairs..all in a row... in addition to the vending machines.. They all pretty much speak English..I don't have one in particular to recommend, but it won't be a problem.

Yeah, that's fine actually since I only need the data for google maps for directions. First time in Tokyo and the city is 8 times larger in terms on square miles and 10 times denser in terms of population than the capital in my country, I don't like my prospects if I get lost without any data :confused:
internet is a necessity nowadays

I prefer the vending machines at the airport but sometimes I have trouble locating them, in those cases I always go to Yodobashi.

Why do you prefer the vending machine?

One followup note: When traveling internationally, usually, I only need to switch SIM's in my iphone, and I am ready to go.... last time in Japan, I needed to configure the APN... it was a bit of a hassle.. Any idea on why the APN was required? Is this the case for all carriers there?

Why do you prefer the vending machine?

One followup note: When traveling internationally, usually, I only need to switch SIM's in my iphone, and I am ready to go.... last time in Japan, I needed to configure the APN... it was a bit of a hassle.. Any idea on why the APN was required? Is this the case for all carriers there?
I prefer them because I don't have to queue or waste time trying to figure out if a certain counter in fact is selling what I need. Not sure but APN seems to be the standard.

Reactions: ur19877
the good point about Yodobashi or Bic Camera is that you can have advises and the staff can check what sim your phone is compatible with.

New APN settings are always required when you are switching carriers. But the other networks you have been using have been sending them to your phone automatically.

Update: Went to Bic camera at the airport and bought a SIM staff was helpful and spoke good English, even helped me configured APN and made sure it works. Thanks again to everyone that helped and provided info in this thread.

Welcome to Japan! Hope you have a nice stay.
Glad you got your SIM card sorted nicely!

Update: Went to Bic camera at the airport and bought a SIM staff was helpful and spoke good English, even helped me configured APN and made sure it works. Thanks again to everyone that helped and provided info in this thread.

Do you mind sharing the plan and price for the SIM card you got?

I bought two IIJ Mio simcards at the Haneda airport when arriving (Air Bic Camera located on the same level than Arrivals).
These cards worked with NTT Docomo and the speed and coverage was very good. Be careful when you buy the card
to choose the right format (regular, mini or nano) that works with your phone or tablet as the cards are not multi formats
like in many countries. You have to closely look at the manual to set things up but finally it works. I did not ask help from the clerk
guy at Bic Camera.