Guest viewing is limited

Japanese tax: Reporting worldwide income after 5 years

The main thing about J taxes is to not sweat it. It took them like ten years to catch up to Carlos Ghosn and his undeclared amount is USD 88mil.

and that was with a Whistleblower.......:D, otherwise, they still could/would be in the dark.

and that was with a Whistleblower.......:D, otherwise, they still could/would be in the dark.
Yeah this is the culture here. People get secretively jealous of one another. Better to just act poor and broke, especially if you got family ties here and want to protect your children.

Yeah this is the culture here. People get secretively jealous of one another. Better to just act poor and broke, especially if you got family ties here and want to protect your children.
Good advice for anyone anywhere in this world of increasing income inequality, populism and identity politics.

I just stopped at the subway sandwich shop near my building and ordered my usual which only runs 430 yen but today it was 579 yen and I asked why the HUGE increase and they told me tax.

Reactions: Sudsy and MikeH
I just stopped at the subway sandwich shop near my building and ordered my usual which only runs 430 yen but today it was 579 yen and I asked why the HUGE increase and they told me tax.

Gaijin tax?

Reactions: just4fun
I'll take a look at the prices.....maybe somethings changed. Just looked at the menu and I'm going to stop in tomorrow and ask again.

Last edited:
It sucks to potentially pay extra taxes on things like investment income earned outside of Japan but would suck far worse to get slapped with penalties if you get caught. Better to come clean about it. If you're a citizen of a country that also taxes worldwide income, you probably can claim the payment of Japanese taxes and use that to reduce the tax burden in your home country because (at least in the US) you can usually take that as a tax credit.