Just more bs behavior I noticed coming from Japanese women

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so both last night and this morning I have experienced the same strange behavior from two different Japanese women.

Last night, I was riding my bicycle to work and I was in a hurry because I was running late. There was a Japanese woman riding her bicycle really slowly in front of me, but the sidewalk was too narrow to get around her for quite a distance.

So finally when we were coming up to an area with more space, I sped up to pass her. This is where it gets annoying.

So as I'm speeding up I see her look at me from the corner of her eye and right after that, she started riding her bicycle with one hand and covered the purse with the other hand as if I was going to attempt some ride by/purse snatch on her.

She didn't let go of her purse until after I passed by her.

Then today I had an appointment at the local clinic and there is a young Japanese woman sitting next to me. I noticed that she glanced at me from the corner of her eye and immediately after that, moved her bag onto the other side of her body (away from me). I don't think this was a coincidence or her just trying to give me more room because there was plenty of space between us.

I have been calm these days even when I notice xenophobic or rude behaviors, but because I have been stressing about a possible serious health issue, I was furious and insulted that this woman actually was worried that I might try to steal her bag...in a clinic of all places.

I told her in Japanese that I'm busy thinking about my health and I don't care about her bag and what is inside it. She pretended not to hear me. After she finished her doctor appointment, she came out and was about to sit somewhere nearby me, but I was so angry, I actually told her she should sit on the other side of the room.

Yes, I don't care if people on here say that I'm the bad guy (story of my life). I'm so sick and tired of people acting extremely rude around me and then act as if it isn't a big deal to just assume I'm a bag snatcher or criminal. Yes, saying what I said to her was rude, but I was so angry and it was in the heat of the moment.

Has anyone on here ever experienced this bag protecting behavior toward you before?

Let me guess...everyone on here is just going to lie and say no, they haven't.

A couple days ago, I was coming home on a Wednesday night to my good neighborhood apartment building in my safe city where I have lived for more than a decade and a woman being dropped off looked at me (I am literally a bog standard white guy) sprinted to the door, fumbled her fob (giving me time to "catch up to her" then she refused to get into the elevator until I'd already gotten in (despite being 6 feet closer) and then furtively looked at me sideways the entire ride up.

The answer is, don't worry about it. Seriously, starting a confrontation isn't going to get you anywhere. All it does it make her tell a story of "a weird foreigner confronted me last night, blah blah blah".

I get it, it sucks. You think I opened my front door feeling warm and fuzzy after that interaction? But you aren't going to convince her you are ok dude by confronting her (quite the opposite) and you're never going to see her again. It is what it is. Try not to let it get to you. It does you no good.

Reactions: faboo2001
The bicycle thing is pretty much bog standard, she would have done it if you were Japanese - purse snatching from bicycle baskets is a fairly common crime, at least three of my colleagues have had it happen to them in Tokyo.

(Tip for the ladies - get a bungie net for your basket, stops snatchers from grabbing things out of it)

The other? Sure, and that's also happened to me in North America and other parts of Asia too, especially when I was younger.
It's never happened - anywhere - when I've been wearing a suit, only when I've been wearing casual street clothes.

The bicycle thing is pretty much bog standard, she would have done it if you were Japanese - purse snatching from bicycle baskets is a fairly common crime, at least three of my colleagues have had it happen to them in Tokyo.

(Tip for the ladies - get a bungie net for your basket, stops snatchers from grabbing things out of it)

The other? Sure, and that's also happened to me in North America and other parts of Asia too, especially when I was younger.
It's never happened - anywhere - when I've been wearing a suit, only when I've been wearing casual street clothes.

Thats why I always wear a suit
Can get away with murder :D

There are people out there who will judge you (either positively or negatively) solely based on appearance. It's a fact of life. Accept it.

For every Japanese woman who thinks you're a purse snatcher, there's another five out there who admire that blonde hair, blue eyes, pointy nose and (probably) big dick.

Thats why I always wear a suit
Can get away with murder :D

Ditto. Also removes the problems associated with selection of clothes, colour-coordination blindness and general bad taste. :D

Reactions: Frenchy
that's daily life of non white people in western countries

Daily life for any male in western countries. I remember once in Europe when I was jogging very late at night in a park and was approaching a lady walking from behind. Hearing my footsteps she took a look back and then quickly raised her phone to her ear and started talking loudly telling her exact location to the imaginary listener.

I was just like, yeah lady, I am here to rape and pillage. That's exactly the reason I am wearing this yellow reflective vest and red led light that blinks in my arm.

For every Japanese woman who thinks you're a purse snatcher, there's another five out there who admire that blonde hair, blue eyes, pointy nose and (probably) big dick.

That bogs down to your general attitude for life. You can pick the bad and dwell on it or you can pick the good and be happy.

Generally I have noticed the foreigners in Japan who most complain about racism are usually also the first ones to flash out the gaijin card whenever they want to be let out easy from any difficult situation.

Daily life for any male in western countries. I remember once in Europe when I was jogging very late at night in a park and was approaching a lady walking from behind. Hearing my footsteps she took a look back and then quickly raised her phone to her ear and started talking loudly telling her exact location to the imaginary listener.

I was just like, yeah lady, I am here to rape and pillage. That's exactly the reason I am wearing this yellow reflective vest and red led light that blinks in my arm.

I would have done the same thing as her. I mean, I always found the Mc Donald’s clown super creepy , and even more so at night, running behind me :D

that's daily life of non white people in western countries

Frenchy sure likes your comment...perhaps he isn't a Caucasian Frenchman, but a minority that slipped into France from Africa or the middle east lol.

Wow, how snobbish and elitist people can be. They assume suit = rich, casual clothes (that are comfortable) = bum + purse snatcher lol.

How about another tip for the ladies = Don't be so quick to judge and act like a total bitch

I was clearly only trying to get around her because she was too slow. She knew I had made multiple attempts to get around her, yet she just pretended that I was a purse snatcher just to be a bitch.

Certainly not just a Japanese thing.

Never said it was. I just said only Japanese women have been acting this way toward me because I live in Japan. There are almost no foreign women here in Shizuoka City when compared to Japanese women and they never behave this way toward me.

I also lived in China for more than 4 years and not one Chinese woman has done the bag protecting/walking fast/running away/refusing to ride on the same elevator nonsense that Japanese women regularly do to me.

It deeply saddens me now that I possess none of these superior traits. Back to improving my purse snatching skills then.

Wow, how snobbish and elitist people can be. They assume suit = rich, casual clothes (that are comfortable) = bum + purse snatcher lol.

Suit = almost certainly has a job, unlikely to be a street hoodlum. I've never had a guy in a suit try to mug me. Guys in suits steal things with lawyers and deception, not the ol' grab'n'run.

How about another tip for the ladies = Don't be so quick to judge and act like a total bitch

I was clearly only trying to get around her because she was too slow. She knew I had made multiple attempts to get around her, yet she just pretended that I was a purse snatcher just to be a bitch.

Maybe don't be so quick to assume her actions have anything to do with you? There's warnings on the daytime TV shows all the time for women to take those kind of precautions when their handbag is in their bike basket....

Frenchy sure likes your comment...perhaps he isn't a Caucasian Frenchman, but a minority that slipped into France from Africa or the middle east lol.
he's a white "Caucasian" (don't like this word) who's not in denial

Suit = almost certainly has a job, unlikely to be a street hoodlum. I've never had a guy in a suit try to mug me. Guys in suits steal things with lawyers and deception, not the ol' grab'n'run.

Maybe don't be so quick to assume her actions have anything to do with you? There's warnings on the daytime TV shows all the time for women to take those kind of precautions when their handbag is in their bike basket....

Yeah, and what is the excuse for the woman to also looked at me from the corner of her eye as she moved her bag to the other side of her in the middle of a crowded clinic?

She didn't stop to think how ridiculous she was being and how shitty it is to assume I'm a thief in front of a crowd of strangers?

I didn't even once look at her bag...how annoying.

Happens more if you're colored.
People changing place in the bus or train even if it means standing during the whole trip just because you sat in the empty seat next to them or people coming from opposite side and crossing the street to change sidewalk and cross it back once they got past you are things I got used to there. Never happened to me here.

Reactions: MissInsomnia
It deeply saddens me now that I possess none of these superior traits. Back to improving my purse snatching skills then.

You could always just say you are gender fluid and identify as a purse...then you don't have to snatch any purses.

Reactions: Simonka
Happens more if you're colored.
People changing place in the bus or train even if it means standing during the whole trip just because you sat in the empty seat next to them or people coming from opposite side and crossing the street to change sidewalk and cross it back once they got past you are things I got used to there. Never happened to me here.

I believe here in Japan, it happens to all non-Japanese about the same. Even if it did happen to colored people "more" that doesn't suddenly make it not annoying as hell when someone acts like I'm trying to steal their bag, when I'm waiting to see the doctor.

I believe here in Japan, it happens to all non-Japanese about the same. Even if it did happen to colored people "more" that doesn't suddenly make it not annoying as hell when someone acts like I'm trying to steal their bag, when I'm waiting to see the doctor.
I didn't say it happens more to colored people here, it happens in western countries but here we are all foreigners, that's a thing I like a lot about Japan. White dude are no higher man anymore :D

btw your topic reminded me of this scene in Better Call Saul