Guest viewing is limited

Closed Language Help Threadi'm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saitama-man

TAG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there are any threads already but is there a resource for help with Japanese? I would like to learn how to say somethings

one of your best resources are google sensei and the local book store... rest is up to you... find people and speak japanese... buy books, read them, a lot!
might sound like a joke, but it isnt... but also dont forget, the english speaking staff is better off^^

But there aren't somethings you can't find in a book if you know what I mean ;)

"Making out in Japanese" was my first source in the late eighties when it came out. Even if it is pretty basic you still get a good head start (pun intended) with it. Haven't read it lately so no idea how outdated it would be now. Anyone know any newer books on the subject?

its not only outdated, it isnt even real japanese...
my suggestion is that you learn the entire language, most people only study until their japanese takes them from the bar to the nearest love hotel, anyway...

its not only outdated, it isnt even real japanese...
my suggestion is that you learn the entire language, most people only study until their japanese takes them from the bar to the nearest love hotel, anyway...

Might be true, it has been more than 25 years since I read it. I already spoke the language that time, but none of the books I studied nor the co-workers I was involved with were teaching me the words needed with hooking up so I remember being happy to buy the book.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
There are apps for free and paid to learn Japanese.

Try this site for suggestions and reviews:

http://www.fluentu.com/japanese/blog/best-apps-for-learning-japanese/

My wife just got me an iPad on Friday for my hospital stay. I downloaded Google Translate which makes it available offline.

I also downloaded and app called jtalk. It will translate spoken English into spoken and written Japanese and spoken Japanese into spoken and written English. It's a service by DoCoMo. The first five translations a day are free. I bought a month's subscription for $3.99 to try it out.

We had a bit of fun last night getting to know the program. You must use well-known words and speak slowly and clearly. Still, a few hilarious mis-translations occurred.

I was able to save phrases my wife approved as fairly accurate for hospital conversations. I'll update after I use it for a month.

I was able to save phrases my wife approved as fairly accurate for hospital conversations.

I bet one of the not wife approved ones was "does that cute nurse give BJs too?".

Reactions: roots reggae
I bet one of the not wife approved ones was "does that cute nurse give BJs too?".
Subtly is the key here @MikeH

I was thinking more about teaching him "what time is my sponge-bath?" followed by "you missed a bit"

He needs plausible denial & approval from the wife.

Reactions: MikeH
Google translate throws up some clangers.

One idea is to translate it into Japanese then copy and paste that back and retranslate it into English and you'll see the crazy shit that comes up.

Google translate throws up some clangers.

One idea is to translate it into Japanese then copy and paste that back and retranslate it into English and you'll see the crazy shit that comes up.

That only works for sentences with one word only:D

Thanks, I had done some searching when I had a minute but couldn't find anything.
i dont know what you mean...
care to explain?
Dude I gave you the winky face and everything I shouldn't have to explain "you know what I mean ;) " :D
"Making out in Japanese" was my first source in the late eighties when it came out. Even if it is pretty basic you still get a good head start (pun intended) with it. Haven't read it lately so no idea how outdated it would be now. Anyone know any newer books on the subject?
I'm not trying to leave any evidence laying about for the missus to find.

I'm not trying to leave any evidence laying about for the missus to find.

But honey, that is required reading for my cultural study group! Oh, you meant that one with pictures; that's for my art class!

But honey, that is required reading for my cultural study group! Oh, you meant that one with pictures; that's for my art class!
(says those things to wife) My wife's eyes narrow, room temperature rapidly decreases. I am now able to see my breath although it is hot today. I fear this will be my last comm......######*****###*#****

(says those things to wife) My wife's eyes narrow, room temperature rapidly decreases. I am now able to see my breath although it is hot today. I fear this will be my last comm......######*****###*#****
Man.... some real ice queens you guys are stuck with.

Man.... some real ice queens you guys are stuck with.

When I was temporarily living outside of Japan for some months in the beginning of our marriage (so 20+ years ago) my wife was coming over to visit. She asked me what I would like to have as omiyage and I told "Actress Deluxe" which was one of the first all nude monthly magazines that time. She promptly went out and bought me all I the new ones I missed while being away.

So no way she would be against any of the text books I have in the book shelf.

Sorry, the DoCoMo app is called jSpeak, not jTalk.

It has quite a few glitches, but for someone like me that's Japanese language challenged, it's much better than attempting to struggle through with gestures alone.

For one thing, you have to speak slowly and clearly. That can be a problem since the voice activation function will start translating before you have finished the sentence.

You may also have to try several times, using diiferent words to get your meaning across.

But for $2.99 for the 30 day plan, I'd say to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.