Las Vegas Shooting -- 59 Dead

TAG Manager

Executive Leadership
Reaction score
Woke up to more crap this morning, the Las Vegas shootings.

Way to go America. (n)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/us/las-vegas-shooting.html

las-vegas-shooting-mandalay-bay-photos-34.jpg

Turns out I had some old friends in Vegas -- they are okay though.

These events just keep getting worse... the body count goes up and up.

Coworkers family was at the show and one was shot a few times but is expected to make a full recovery. I would say its unbelievable but it happens so often these days that you kinda expect it.

Extremely disheartening.

Coworkers family was at the show and one was shot a few times but is expected to make a full recovery. I would say its unbelievable but it happens so often these days that you kinda expect it.

Extremely disheartening.
Damn... glad to hear about the recovery.

I wish we didn't have to say those words... "it happens so often these days that you kinda expect it." Ridiculous.

I expect to see drunk people in the street on a Friday night, but I shouldn't expect to get run over or shot at a public event.

Glad I live in Japan.

Saw that on the news this evening. It's just terrible. And it could happen anywhere in America at any time. One of the sad realities of living in the country these days.

I've always been a believer in not letting this kind of crap dictate how you live your life but it's getting to the point of where you almost have to take into consideration that this could happen to you.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Scary to think that this kind of thing is becoming more and more common in the US.

There’s not much they could have done to prevent it. The only thing I can think of is if the hotel had a security system in place that could monitor the glass windows for breakage and alerted them to which room, they might have gotten to him sooner?

Reactions: JaquesAfrog
Don't wanna get into a gun control debate with Americans here, but Jesus Christ... those things are powerful and he probably didn't even have to aim. I'm also glad I live in a country with strict gun control.
Insane how bits of metal and combustible powder can work together in perfect unison to cause death and destruction hundreds of meters away.

he probably didn't even have to aim.

That sounds like you have never fired an automatic rifle in your life.

Insane how bits of metal and combustible powder can work together in perfect unison to cause death and destruction hundreds of meters away.

Farming chemicals and bits of metal work as well.

I have lived in countries where people have no guns, I have lived in countries where having guns is common. None of those countries people have gone mass murdering each others.

He was firing into a huge crowd. Pretty sure he was just firing blind as fast as he could knowing that every bullet would hit someone.

Oooh, this is gonna be an interesting thread.
These things wouldn't happen with strict gun control laws.
Uh Oh...here we go...this thread might get interesting;)
Yes, there has to be concrete reasons on why the US is over-represented for this stuff - you can't argue against this fact. I don't claim to know what the reasons are myself, and can't really be bothered doing the research, but I have some suspicions why.

Uh Oh...here we go...this thread might get interesting;)
Yes, there has to be concrete reasons on why the US is over-represented for this stuff - you can't argue against this fact. I don't claim to know what the reasons are myself, and can't really be bothered doing the research, but I have some suspicions why.
A horrific mix of too many guns available too easily to too many psychopaths.... not that France is a much better model I must sadly admit.

Anyway, once again Jimmy Kimmel seems to be the most sensible voice of reason in America. His hometown is Vegas by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: meiji
I have.

The range was 450 meters and it was plunging fire. He wasn't aiming in the way people normally think of as aiming, with sights, checked breathing, correct body posture. He was firing at groups until each magazine was empty, no controlled bursts (you can hear that in the audio). He shot 10,000 rounds and hit 600 people, that's 6% hit rate.

Most of the reporting focuses on the dead, 60 dead is an incredible number, but 600 casaulties is just insane. Some of those injuries might be minor but most are going to be serious, the suffering is staggering.

I don't think anyone other than a professionals should have guns, except farmers and people in rural areas that may need to shoot animals. Americans have these fantasies that their gun will save them from some event. Good luck shooting back at an elevated target 450 meters away.

Last edited:
I have.

The range was 450 meters and it was plunging fire. He wasn't aiming in the way people normally think of as aiming, with sights, checked breathing, correct body posture. He was firing at groups until each magazine was empty, no controlled bursts (you can hear that in the audio). He shot 10,000 rounds and hit 600 people, that's 6% hit rate.

Most of the reporting focuses on the dead, 60 dead is an incredible number, but 600 casaulties is just insane. Some of those injuries might be minor but most are going to be serious, the suffering is staggering.

I don't think anyone other than a professionals should have guns, except farmers and people in rural areas that may need to shoot animals. Americans have these fantasies that their gun will save them from some event. Good luck shooting back at an elvated target 450 meters away.

I agree , the "good guys with a gun" supposedly necessary against the "bad guys with a gun" , according to NRA propaganda. Where are they, really, when shit happens? And can they really take a psycho down before he kills dozens of people?

Reactions: SugoiBoy
He shot 10,000 rounds

OK, I have not been keeping up with this, and will not start either, but that's just crazy. That kind of amount of ammunition alone weights more than 120 kgs. No wonder he managed to get that amount of casualties.

I don't think anyone other than a professionals should have guns

Here we have to just agree to disagree.

Reactions: JaquesAfrog
Let's not get into the actual gun debate. There's never any winner and anyone that says applying a universal rule on guns in America will work, is smoking crack. Better control, licensing or whatever is probably a way to start pulling guns away from people that shouldn't have them. Yet, criminals will still get guns no matter what law is in place.
He shot 10,000 rounds and hit 600 people, that's 6% hit rate.
Sounds just like my last round of CoD... I can't hit shit.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/02/us/vegas-guns.html

I think this dude had 10,000 rounds of ammo but didn't get that much actually shot off.
At most it would have been about 5,000 shots if the rate of 9 shots per second was maintained for approx. 10 minutes.
There's some analysis out there of the rate of fire picked up from audio/video recordings.

Let's not get into the actual gun debate. There's never any winner and anyone that says applying a universal rule on guns in America will work, is smoking crack. Better control, licensing or whatever is probably a way to start pulling guns away from people that shouldn't have them. Yet, criminals will still get guns no matter what law is in place.

Even if better laws etc. get put into place to keep guns away from criminals, that still wouldn’t have done anything in this case. From what I understand, the shooter was a retired accountant with no criminal record or terrorist affiliation, who bought all of his guns legally. Background checks wouldn’t have revealed anything that would prevent him from being able to purchase the guns.

So far, no explanation of why he did it.

People are snapping left and right these days. All we can do is cherish the family and friends that are in your life today (and make sure they know that you do). Because you never know what tomorrrow brings.

Anyway, once again Jimmy Kimmel seems to be the most sensible voice of reason in America. His hometown is Vegas by the way.

I guess we should also thank millionaire Kimmel's speech writers, publicists, producers and the rest of his team for fighting the ratings war.

Or we could focus on giving support to the emergency workers who are going to be traumatized after dealing with the unspeakable horrors.

Reactions: Sudsy and MikeH
I guess we should also thank millionaire Kimmel's speech writers, publicists, producers and the rest of his team for fighting the ratings war.

Thats a bit of an easy cope out dont you think? He raised serious and valid points about all those congressmen who vote for whatever the NRA wants them to vote, even if their own constituents dont agree. Gun ownership for self protection? Ok why not... but then why is it also legal to sell automatic weapons ? To protect yourself against .... what exactly? And after how many machine guns or whatever this sicko bought some kind of alarm bells should ring in the registration / databases etc (assuming the Police or any administration even keeps track of this). 5? 10? 100?

Last edited:
Reactions: DocMcStuffins