Letter from the immigration office?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I applied for permanent residence about 2 months ago and just today received a letter from the immigration office.

The letter states that I need to go to City Hall and request my wife's mother's annual residence tax certification and regular tax certifications.

I'm hoping that I will be able to obtain both of these alone because my wife is too lazy to go with me and my wife's mother hates me, so it isn't like she is going to help me with this.

Has anyone on here been sent a letter like this when they applied for permanent residence?

Has anyone on here been sent a letter like this when they applied for permanent residence?

Probably everyone who didn't attach the necessary tax certificates with the original submission.

You can probably get your wife's certification by yourself, as if I remember correctly you falsely stated to the authorities you do live together with her, but for the mother-in-law's certificate you need a power of attorney.

Reactions: Simonka
I'm hoping that I will be able to obtain both of these alone because my wife is too lazy to go with me and my wife's mother hates me

Legally, those aren't supposed to be issued to anyone other than your mother in law in person, a legal representative with a power of attorney, or a representative from the national tax agency.

You'll have gotten that request because your mother-in-law is registered as the head of the household for that address - which also means they're looking somewhat closely at you.

Edit: Unless you listed her on the paperwork as the head of household yourself, in which case you should have provided the forms in the first place.

Last edited:
Legally, those aren't supposed to be issued to anyone other than your mother in law in person, a legal representative with a power of attorney, or a representative from the national tax agency.

You'll have gotten that request because your mother-in-law is registered as the head of the household for that address - which also means they're looking somewhat closely at you.

Edit: Unless you listed her on the paperwork as the head of household yourself, in which case you should have provided the forms in the first place.

I did list her as head of the household because even though she is depending on me financially for the rent, the apartment is registered in her name not mine.

I figured listing myself as the head of the household would cause issues.... ironically.

So City Hall will most likely not provide me with these tax certificates should I request them alone or even if I'm with my wife?

Probably everyone who didn't attach the necessary tax certificates with the original submission.

You can probably get your wife's certification by yourself, as if I remember correctly you falsely stated to the authorities you do live together with her, but for the mother-in-law's certificate you need a power of attorney.

I actually did go to City Hall before applying to get my wife's tax certificates as she is my guarantor and that was no issue, that is correct.

So I will call up the same Japanese immigration lawyer I had a consultation with before heading to City Hall later this week.

So I will call up the same Japanese immigration lawyer I had a consultation with before heading to City Hall later this week.

He will tell you only that you need the POA from your mother in law.

Obtaining a Permanent Residence can be difficult if you are lacking the required tax certificates and in this case they belong to your mother in law. You sound like you’re having a tough time with your family and an unsupportive spouse. You should fix your problems with the little disfunctional family unit and try to keep the mother in good spirits until you get the certificates from her. People don’t enjoy being treated like visa enablers so invest in some time to at least make her tolerate you. City hall will not give the certificates to anyone but her or her legal rep.

He will tell you only that you need the POA from your mother in law.

Well, he could tell me more. Sudsy claims there is a possibility that immigration is looking closely at me and this immigration lawyer claimed "there is nothing to worry about" with regard to them finding out we are living separately.

I would like to hear what he has to say about how my situation is blooming.

Sudsy claims there is a possibility that immigration is looking closely at me

That was if you hadn't already listed your MIL as head of household - which you did, so this is just a case of you not getting those documents.

I actually did go to City Hall before applying to get my wife's tax certificates as she is my guarantor and that was no issue, that is correct.

You may be in luck, since your city office isn't supposed to give those out to spouses either.

Seems like your city office doesn't check the rulebook before doing things - in metro Tokyo they're usually quite strict, because most of the city offices have been sued at least once over releasing personal information to unauthorized people.

It's by the rule. You may be able to apply for your mother in law's, too.

For a tax certificate, many municipalities (Tokyo is a notable exception), accept application from

同居の親族で本人から依頼があったと認められる人 (a relative of the same residential household to the person concerned who acts on that person's behalf)

without POA.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
So, what would happen if I go to City Hall with my wife and the staff refuse to hand over the documents to anyone other than my wife's mother?

My wife's mother hates me, so there is no way is would be willing to help out in anyway. In fact, she would hold this against me in spite.

Would hiring a Japanese immigration lawyer help me obtain these documents without her mother being involved?

If this is not possible, then I guess I'm going to just get divorced and forget about permanent residence altogether.

Last edited:
That was if you hadn't already listed your MIL as head of household - which you did, so this is just a case of you not getting those documents.

I mean it could be a combination of both situations. I didn't have the documents at the time of applying but there is also the "rare occasion" where immigration do check up closely on someone. I remember you said this in an older post.

The funny thing is even the immgration lawyer said the same thing "rare occasion, but don't worry at all"...I think in this case I can justifiably worry at least a little lol.

I think in this case I can justifiably worry at least a little lol.

What do you think you can achieve by worrying about it? :p

If you list your mother in law as the head of the household while applying but don't include her tax certificate then they will ask for it later. That is exactly what has happened now.

Reactions: Simonka and Sudsy
For a tax certificate, many municipalities (Tokyo is a notable exception), accept application from

This is actually counter to the privacy law - they're not supposed to be allowing this. As noted above, the inaka's got their own way of doing things....

Obtaining a Permanent Residence can be difficult if you are lacking the required tax certificates and in this case they belong to your mother in law. You sound like you’re having a tough time with your family and an unsupportive spouse. You should fix your problems with the little disfunctional family unit and try to keep the mother in good spirits until you get the certificates from her. People don’t enjoy being treated like visa enablers so invest in some time to at least make her tolerate you. City hall will not give the certificates to anyone but her or her legal rep.
Jesus Christ. This has to be one of the most heartless and unhelpful responses I have ever seen. I mean, why didn't you just write, "Serves you right, dumbass!"

Reactions: LeonGRAY
It totally sucks how gaijin can get tangled up in this kind of shit. If you have been here for a few years and you haven't broken any laws, pay tax, yada yada, yada then by rights you should get PR. I feel for you buddy.

If you have been here for a few years and you haven't broken any laws, pay tax, yada yada, yada then by rights you should get PR.

Why? Because you are such a gift to the society? Why don't you ask a free monthly coupons to your preferred soapland too? I mean you have struggled so valiantly and lived several years without being caught doing anything illegal. Fucking amazing, how did you managed that? I think they should change the words of the national anthem to mention you and people like you in it.

Totally unrelated fact is people think getting PR will grow an inch to their dick or something.

Reactions: chaztagster
Why? Because you are such a gift to the society? Why don't you ask a free monthly coupons to your preferred soapland too? I mean you have struggled so valiantly and lived several years without being caught doing anything illegal. Fucking amazing, how did you managed that? I think they should change the words of the national anthem to mention you and people like you in it.

Totally unrelated fact is people think getting PR will grow an inch to their dick or something.
If he has been here for a few years and contributed by paying taxes and, l assume, there are a few other miserable almost-merits to his application such as marriage to a local, a job, no criminal record, then, IMO, he should be considered for PR. It’s just my opinion. The issue here as I see it, is that he has got himself embroiled in family politics and the thing has spun out of control. I mean just because his mother inlaw doesn’t like him, and won’t cough up some tax forms, he is denied PR. I mean what the fuck is that? His PR application should have nothing to do with his wife’s mother. Granted it was his tactical error to involve her in the application, but he should be able to reverse that and reapply on his merits as TJB. And anyway, who made you the arbiter of who gets in and who gets rejected? You should have a strong bias for leniency as TJB is a fellow man and a fellow gaijin. Where is your heart?!

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
And anyway, who made you the arbiter of who gets in and who gets rejected?

Asks the guy who first makes himself the arbiter of all things related to Japanese immigration politics and PR.

Granted it was his tactical error to involve her in the application, but he should be able to reverse that and reapply on his merits as TJB.

Where it is said he cannot? You like most people are now just being lazy and blaming everything on the racist system and not taking responsibility for their own mistakes.

Despite TJB applying for his PR with false premises I do hope he gets it. Then he will notice that while before he was a guy picking up chicks in Hotto Motto he is now instead a guy with PR picking up chicks in Hotto Motto. Yippeefuckingkiyay.

Asks the guy who first makes himself the arbiter of all things related to Japanese immigration politics and PR.

Where it is said he cannot? You like most people are now just being lazy and blaming everything on the racist system and not taking responsibility for their own mistakes.

Despite TJB applying for his PR with false premises I do hope he gets it. Then he will notice that while before he was a guy picking up chicks in Hotto Motto he is now instead a guy with PR picking up chicks in Hotto Motto. Yippeefuckingkiyay.
Well then that’s what you should have said from the beginning. Apology accepted.

Reactions: MikeH

I don't know why it bothers you so much that I want PR. You seem to be forgetting that PR will allow me to divorce my wife and continue living and working in Japan legally.

This has nothing to do with Hotto Motto. Stop being a cunt.

Reactions: warubuta