Letter from the immigration office?

Lots of Japanese who live on their own in Tokyo have their registered address at their parents place in Chiba or Saitama. They get the extra money from the train fare.

Yes as usual there is the law... and how it’s not applied :D

That's actually fraud, and in theory could result in criminal charges, but in reality just results in HR being able to terminate you at will.

I used to see a girl who lived up the street from her company but no one knew.

Most of the time HR are very aware of those people. We usually just keep that information in reserve in case we ever need to downsize.

I have several friends and colleagues who work in Tokyo while their families live in the countryside

At least they are lucky; I know several guys in the big companies whose family lives in Tokyo and they have been transferred to some countryside office or factory. When the kids are already in private high schools the family is not able to move along with the dad so some of them only meet like once a month.

Good deal for the company though, the guy has nothing to do so he usually overworks even more than he would in Tokyo.

At least they are lucky; I know several guys in the big companies whose family lives in Tokyo and they have been transferred to some countryside office or factory. When the kids are already in private high schools the family is not able to move along with the dad so some of them only meet like once a month.

Good deal for the company though, the guy has nothing to do so he usually overworks even more than he would in Tokyo.

What a shitty way to live.

Hey cool down piggy! I respect a lot HR people , and of course they are not supposed to decide just by themselves on the hiring/firing , its not their mission
I was just kidding and provoking. Sudsy knows that I love him.

Reactions: Frenchy
Added bonus; the trains in those shithole places are so slow jumping in front of them just gets you a twisted ankle.
I have known some guys in that situation. I just cant fathom why the agree to it. They have a wife who probably still likes sex and does laundry without complaining. They have a few cute impressionable little kids who still love papa. They got a decent sized house with 30 years left on the mortgage. And then all of a sudden they find themselves 500km away in a six mat room by the railroad tracks, eating cup ramen every night.

This is absolutely accurate. I have several friends and colleagues who work in Tokyo while their families live in the countryside - one as far away as Aomori. They go home one or twice a month and on holidays, and live in Tokyo the rest of the time. This is not at all unusual in Japan, and is common enough that there's a name for it - tanshin funin (単身赴任). Several of them are on spouse visas and never have issues with renewals, as everything can easily be verified with paperwork.

Keep in mind that this doesn't apply if the city you work full time in is also the same city your wife lives in.

Yes, I know about 単身赴任 but I wanted to mention that there are people on this forum and on other forums that actually think 単身赴任 is impossible for international couples and is only something Japanese couples can do legally.

I thought it would help out everyone to know that a staff member from my local immigration office said that 単身赴任 is alright for international couples.

Yes, I also wouldn't take a full time job in Shizuoka City if I weren't already living with my wife. I will most likely need to take a full time job in Tokyo or Nagoya (preferably Tokyo) and just visit my wife here a couple times a month.

there are people on this forum and on other forums that actually think 単身赴任 is impossible for international couples and is only something Japanese couples can do legally.

Gotcha. And international couples can definitely do it.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
They are just trying to catch Filipina bar girl Yakuza fake marriages. As long as you are neither then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow