LINE services asking for Webmoney

jl199119

TAG Member
Reaction score
I guess this is more than likely a scam, anyone with experienced it working?

Basically, I added someone on LINE (Taiwanese), arranged to meet at a convenience store, then they asked me to purchase Webmoney. I was hesitant at first, but then I purchased one after a push (they said that if the police found out that she sold service for cash, she would be in trouble - fair enough). They then asked me for a photo of it with the receipt - I wasn't so stupid to show the whole thing with the code so took a photo covering it. They persistently asked me to show the code to check if it was real, even though I just bought it and have a receipt with the timestamp - this part rang bells for me. How can she even check if it's real without claiming it first?

After constant messaging for an hour and even them sending a picture of their resident ID and a girl's voice message (even in English when I requested), I decided to reject it due to the risk. Maybe the person I was talking to really was the girl, or at least a girl?

Any thoughts about this? Also, what can I do with this damn 10,000 yen Webmoney now?

Last edited:
Sounds like a classic scam.

Anyway I guess you can buy some really cool LINE stickers now.
10,000 yens worth? :'( I thought Amazon JP would accept it but I don't think it does. I don't know any other online sites

You can buy some electronics , their website is really crap though
https://www.webmoney.jp/shopping/sitedetail/11914.html

Get some tea:
https://www.webmoney.jp/shopping/sitedetail/1891.html
SOP0000165_big.jpg

or fortune telling services. I think you should try this before the next rendezvous ;)
https://www.webmoney.jp/shopping/category/fortunetelling
hayes.jpg

I guess this is more than likely a scam

You are guessing right, it is a common scam.

(they said that if the police found out that she sold service for cash, she would be in trouble - fair enough).

No, nothing fair about that one. The police won't care. And even if they did they wouldn't start caring about the form of the payment.

How can she even check if it's real without claiming it first?

His plan was to check if it's real by claiming it and then not replying to you anymore.

Maybe the person I was talking to really was the girl, or at least a girl?

Nope to that.

what can I do with this damn 10,000 yen Webmoney now?

Send it to me and I will check if it's OK.

Or alternatively print it out, frame and hang on your wall to remind you the next time you are about to fall to one of the most classic scams in Japan.

Lol, I had similar story last year in Europe. Set up a date, then came a message "oh, but there is one condition. I don't want cash, but instead a coupon like Amazon or so, so it would feel more like a date and she receiving a present".
At that point I knew the odds for that to be true were maybe 0.1%, but I actually had time at my hands and in the worst case I would be on a walk for nothing, which wouldn't be so bad.
Obviously I didn't have any coupons, but you can buy them in many stores. So she told me there was just one such shop right around the corner from her.
Things got more clear on the way, as I'm almost there she asks me, if I could add some more money on the coupon, she would hand me back in cash ... but would be no problem, if I can't ... well, sorry, I can't;) So I arrive at that shop, which I think even had bitcoin in the name. I tell her that I'm not going to buy crypto currency, but she assures me the machines would also sell coupons. Turns out there was some crypto currency that had coupon or so in the name.
Unfortunately I had to turn that wish down. She threatened me to call the police and stuff, but refused to just meet at the shop. Well, I wished her good luck and blocked her. Never heared from that again. Really unfortunate, because the add was very convincing:D
So it was a nice day and I had a nice walk;) oh and I'm pretty sure it was a woman, cause there was a way overweight lady and much older lady in a car spying at the shop all the time;)
So to the op, it's never working in your favour, if you pay anything before actually being in a room with the lady.
Tbh, I was just curious, cause it was kinda the first time that I got approached with such an obvious scam.

Exactly what happen to me last night. Lol

She was asking for bitcash tho didn’t fall for it.

By any chance the address she gave was in shibuya udagawacho?