Guest viewing is limited

Live Corona Update - 17:15~ (11/19/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make a long story short? I'm a lip reader so this is difficult (among other things)

To make a long story short? I'm a lip reader so this is difficult (among other things)

Basically they are saying please do not get infected. The situation is so bad they had to suck all the air in the meeting room through their teeth. So they have done their part.

And that while the GoTo program caused the corona to spread it's not their fault. Like at all.

Basically they are saying please do not get infected. The situation is so bad they had to suck all the air in the meeting room through their teeth. So they have done their part.

And that while the GoTo program caused the corona to spread it's not their fault. Like at all.
hahahahahahaha Thank you sir. I'm booked using GoTo in Jan. Hope we're all still alive by then.

hahahahahahaha Thank you sir. I'm booked using GoTo in Jan. Hope we're all still alive by then.

"GoTo" may not be alive by January.

For the moment, the message seems to be, .......we have raised the "virus alert" to the maximum level, but carry on as usual and wear your masks. I sense the "plan" could change anytime, triggered by anything...new cases hitting 600, 800 or 1000/day...or a committee simply recommending shuttering nightlife, closing schools/colleges and bagging "GoTo".

Reactions: TAG Manager
Are things really that bad? I was occasionally looking up from my computer screen last night while my other half was watching the Japanese news broadcast and I thought I saw the number at 400. That's not great but we almost hit that number here after the July 4th holiday and we're 1/10th the size of Tokyo. If you need to feel better, just watch the numbers in any major American city. With Thanksgiving around the corner and those hordes of unmasked, screaming idiots at the Trump election protest rallies all over the country, America will probably be in lock-down for the new year.

When they lifted the "lockdown" few months back they said we will reconsider if Tokyo ever hits 100 new cases per day.

Well we are now at 500 and they are still not proposing anything. And if the politicians decide to do that it will most probably be against the advice of the bureaucrats. That is because the infection fatality rate in the last month has gone down to 1.13% in all population and down to 0.06% for under 60 years old. (yeah that is 0.6 per mille).

That is basically below influenza rates so there is no bureaucrat in Ootemachi who will suggest closing down the place for that.

When they lifted the "lockdown" few months back they said we will reconsider if Tokyo ever hits 100 new cases per day.

Well we are now at 500 and they are still not proposing anything. And if the politicians decide to do that it will most probably be against the advice of the bureaucrats. That is because the infection fatality rate in the last month has gone down to 1.13% in all population and down to 0.06% for under 60 years old. (yeah that is 0.6 per mille).

That is basically below influenza rates so there is no bureaucrat in Ootemachi who will suggest closing down the place for that.

What about the bureaucrats in Kasumigaseki? :p

Well common sense and rational thinking hasn't been at the centre of the Governments plans so far..... so it is anyone's guess what they decide. I read another 2 day meeting of the latest expert panel concludes today....maybe that will influence the next steps. But I think they are back in Olympics "mode"......gotta save 2021.

Those are very good numbers compared to even "safe" states in the U.S., like here. Of course, we fucked ourselves up all on our own over the summer and never recovered again.

We went into lockdown in April because the state was averaging 35 CASES a day. By June we were down to single digits per day, sometimes zero. So in their infinite wisdom, the mayors and governor decided to reopen everything just before the July 4th holiday. Morons everywhere were out partying, doing massive bbqs, pretending all was fine. Within a couple of weeks the number started creeping up, to 25, then 50, and those same politicians warned us that we'd go into lock-down again if we hit 100. And then we hit 100. And then 200. In a month, we were getting 350 cases per day with +10% infection rates and only then did they execute the shut-down again.

We were holding at around 50/day last month, around 2.5% infection rates, so the idiot fucking governor decided to celebrate this by re-opening to tourism while the entire continental U.S. is basically on fire with new infections. Back up to around 100/day now and climbing. I was predicting lock-down again by Thanksgiving but I'm probably going to end up about a month off. Getting to spend Christmas miserable and alone should teach all these partying assholes a lesson.

Are things really that bad? I was occasionally looking up from my computer screen last night while my other half was watching the Japanese news broadcast and I thought I saw the number at 400. That's not great but we almost hit that number here after the July 4th holiday and we're 1/10th the size of Tokyo. If you need to feel better, just watch the numbers in any major American city. With Thanksgiving around the corner and those hordes of unmasked, screaming idiots at the Trump election protest rallies all over the country, America will probably be in lock-down for the new year.

Things are not that bad here. But they are worse than they have been. I think there is more "good luck" than "good management" in the Japanese covid response. I also think there may be some "science" that will eventually explain why Asia has gotten off relatively lightly - and that may mean that caucasians in Japan may not be as safe as the average Yamada, and possibly not as safe as the Japan stats may lead them to believe.

Reactions: maikeru
Things are not that bad here. But they are worse than they have been. I think there is more "good luck" than "good management" in the Japanese covid response. I also think there may be some "science" that will eventually explain why Asia has gotten off relatively lightly - and that may mean that caucasians in Japan may not be as safe as the average Yamada, and possibly not as safe as the Japan stats may lead them to believe.

I would guess it's not so much science, but rather, that Japanese give a shit enough to wear their masks and do their part to keep their communities safe. One of the perks and tendencies of a largely homogeneous country, and one of the only things I really miss about living in Japan. Particularly now.

That's the price of living in America. We're the richest, loudest, most powerful and arrogant assholes on the planet so we'll always get the good shit (vaccines) first, but not before we probably kill off a nice big chunk of the population this time because a disproportionately large demographic in this country is made up of classless, selfish, inbred fucking morons who think that ripping off their masks and screaming in the streets (at Trump rallies) shows how awesome and free and patriotic they are.

Reactions: Durg50
I wonder what activities are really causing the uptick in cases.

- fall/autumn weather/temps???
- people are bored with the whole covid lifestyle - masks, hand sanitizer, social distancing, ???
- GoTo campaign ???

I walked 200m in central Tokyo and counted 7 from 17 people who were correctly wearing masks. It is easy to get complacent when the risk of catching it is low and the risk of death or serious health issues is low.

Last edited:

It seems that in Asia there are other endemic coronavirii (coronaviruses) thus generally population has a higher natural immunization.
YMMV but this info has popped up in general news in Japan and abroad.

It seems that in Asia there are other endemic coronavirii (coronaviruses) thus generally population has a higher natural immunization.
YMMV but this info has popped up in general news in Japan and abroad.
Viruses is the plural term, not virii.

That previous exposure to other coronaviruses cause better/higher/enhanced immunity is just one hypothesis out there as to the lesser infection rates.

Regarding being endemic in Asia, coronaviruses are endemic all over, just the normal public never really knew that nor cared (nobody cares about the common cold) and only ever heard about the badass ones (SARS, MERS, nCoV). Hell, even a lot of healthcare professionals didn’t know or care about them before.

Kee-rect! The only plurals that end in "-ii" are those of words ending in "-ius", so while gladius can be pluralised as gladii, virus is pluralised as viruses.

That previous exposure to other coronaviruses cause better/higher/enhanced immunity is just one hypothesis out there as to the lesser infection rates.

Regarding being endemic in Asia, coronaviruses are endemic all over, just the normal public never really knew that nor cared (nobody cares about the common cold) and only ever heard about the badass ones (SARS, MERS, nCoV). Hell, even a lot of healthcare professionals didn’t know or care about them before.

Keep calm

- people are bored with the whole covid lifestyle - masks, hand sanitizer, social distancing, ???
- GoTo campaign ???

I walked 200m in central Tokyo and counted 7 from 17 people who were correctly wearing masks. It is easy to get complacent when the risk of catching it is low and the risk of death or serious health issues is low.

If it's true that Covid trasmission is highest as an aerosol, which every reputable scientific analysis I've seen this year indicates, then dryer air would increase that. Plus I think people get less cautious as time goes by.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
considering how dense tokyo is, i'm suprised you guys didnt get screwed like NYC did in the first wave.

- GoTo campaign ???

Apparently, the US military is still moving troops in and out of Japan on a regular basis. No doubt some cases are being imported into Japan from the USA that way.

Reactions: Sudsy
Apparently, the US military is still moving troops in and out of Japan on a regular basis. No doubt some cases are being imported into Japan from the USA that way.

If protocol is anything like it is stateside, the military is also not required to report infection numbers to any civilian agency. We have a massive military presence here and the only time we hear anything is when there are massive outbreaks, like a recent one where a quarter of the sailors aboard a large vessel had tested positive. But I do think in most locations we're well past the point of trying to mitigate outbreaks by tracing individual infections. At this point we just need to adhere to basic safety protocols, distance if possible, mask up, wash your hands and hope these current three vaccines are produced and distributed as quickly as possible. The largest global inoculation effort in the history of mankind is about to kick off in about two and a half weeks, so cross your fingers and hope we don't fuck it up too bad in the U.S. and U.K. and the rest of the world can learn from our setbacks. It's going to be a December for the history books, that's for sure.

Reactions: TSullivan17
If protocol is anything like it is stateside, the military is also not required to report infection numbers to any civilian agency. We have a massive military presence here and the only time we hear anything is when there are massive outbreaks, like a recent one where a quarter of the sailors aboard a large vessel had tested positive. But I do think in most locations we're well past the point of trying to mitigate outbreaks by tracing individual infections. At this point we just need to adhere to basic safety protocols, distance if possible, mask up, wash your hands and hope these current three vaccines are produced and distributed as quickly as possible. The largest global inoculation effort in the history of mankind is about to kick off in about two and a half weeks, so cross your fingers and hope we don't fuck it up too bad in the U.S. and U.K. and the rest of the world can learn from our setbacks. It's going to be a December for the history books, that's for sure.

Moving so many people during the middle of a pandemic doesn’t make sense to me. I can see moving a few people when and where needed, but not like what has been happening for the past several months.

Let’s hope the vaccines do get rolled out quickly.

Let’s hope the vaccines do get rolled out quickly.

From what I read today, the U.S. federal government is going to ignore the calls from a number of activist health organizations that were demanding the initial rollout and distribution be based on some "fairness" doctrine, meaning doses be rationed in each city/state according to whatever minority/risk/pity group is being championed any any given moment, and rather, just distribute to each state based solely on the population of adults. No idea how they're going to do it in the U.K., but I think I read that the number of doses sitting at the four strategic sites right now is just over 6-million so those will probably be the batches sent out the day after approval comes in just over two weeks.

If it's anything like the recent rollout of the Eli Lilly treatments, big states will probably get several hundred thousand, while small buttfuck states (like mine) may get a few thousand if we're lucky. It's really going to come down to the 20-million plus doses each manufacturer is promising to get out by the end of the year. Further down the line, I think the Oxford/Astrazeneca will be the one to watch and hopefully approved by Spring, since that one will be far easier to transport and distribute to rural areas and the U.S., which heavily bankrolled that vaccine, already has an agreement to purchase 300-million of the first billion of doses produced. But this shit is going to be like opening the floodgates. When it rains, it'll fucking pour.

Better question...what will happen if Japan has to postpone the Olympics again? I would figure it's a very real possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.