Guest viewing is limited

Looking for a good place to hook up girls!!!???

While I gave the above post a "like" because I agree with most of the points Solong makes (e.g., no special places, meet/talk to women as much as possible...whenever appropriate, don't get discouraged by or be afraid of rejections, try to put your best foot forward etc), I do NOT agree that taking such a "pick-up artist" approach has anything at all with what it means to "be a man" or even with the implication that it is the best or only approach to finding a mate. Most guys manage it without ever taking this route to any major extent. However, as far as I know and in my experience, it is the most practical/successful way to go if your goal is to meet and get to know a lot of women.

I'd also say that this "style" makes you less likely to have long lasting relationships with women.

-Ww

Reactions: User#3673
I wasn't advocating any particular pick up style, I was advocating effort. Many guys complain about their situation, but are not putting in the effort to get better results.

And modern relationships are more temporary in nature, in general. Many people cheat or are very fickle and break up at the drop of a hat. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

Cheating by women is also more rampant than ever. A few 2012 studies came out, where women now cheat more than men, thanks to online hookups.

It is also common for people to hypocritically demand loyalty and faithfulness from their partner, while they go behind their back and cheat or look for other options.

Meeting at a coffee shop is no less valid than meeting at a library. Where and how you meet is not necessarily indicative of how long that relationship will last. It has more to do with how much effort and loyalty people will put into it, if they both want to do so.

Reactions: chung hwang lo
I wasn't advocating any particular pick up style, I was advocating effort. Many guys complain about their situation, but are not putting in the effort to get better results.

True enough, but there also guys who fail by "trying too hard", by pushing themselves to be or pretending to be someone they really are not. There's a lot to be said for "being yourself", "being natural" etc. In other words, "putting in the effort" can come across as being phony in a lot of cases. Another reason to "be yourself" is that you hook up with women who like *you* and not someone you're pretending to be in order to meet or attract them, thus saving both of you a lot of frustration and pain in the long run.

Basically, there's no "formula" for success. But I do agree with what I think to be your most important points: don't give up and don't be afraid of rejection.

And modern relationships are more temporary in nature, in general. Many people cheat or are very fickle and break up at the drop of a hat. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

My only point in this regard is that a guy who has a hard time meeting women, starting relationships etc has much more incentive to look for solutions, compromise, be patient etc when he finally does find an SO and then problems arise. By contrast, a guy who has had a lot of success meeting women and who thus has justifiable confidence in his ability to find a new partner is much more likely to give up on a current SO and move on when things aren't going so well.

It may well be that relationships are generally more temporary now than they were in the past, but what I describe in the previous paragraph is not the reason imo.

-Ww

@Ww
This is an interesting discussion and I enjoy the counter-points that you present.

I believe men need options, because otherwise they are more susceptible to being manipulated and abused.

Irregardless of if men have options or not, most women DO. Even fat or ugly women can have more options than their male equivalent. The female side of the equation can't be ignored. It has become increasingly easy for women to find a new man, cheat, or break off a relationship. Even her having children may not be an impediment for her to divorce (and get child support or government assistance) or cheat (as the online studies are showing).

Many men suffer through bad relationships because they don't know how to talk to other women and can't overcome their fear of rejection. So they hang on to something that is broken, while increasingly, women will not.

Many women, when they know that they are a guy's ONLY option, will choose to use sex to manipulate the man and try to selfishly always get their way. And certain women can push this to where it's sadistic abuse (verbal or physical) and indirect blackmail for money and favors.

If anything, a woman knowing a guy has other options or is popular enough that he can find another if she doesn't treat him right, can mean better relationships.

Last edited:
@Ww
This is an interesting discussion and I enjoy the counter-points that you present.

Ditto…me too. And to make it explicit, disagreement/differences does not equal criticism, nor does criticism give offense…not for me, at least.

And while I think we agree on some of the critical details (as per the points I mention in posts above), I also think that our basic approach to women and relationships with them is quite different. Your most recent post here makes that clearer to me.

I believe men need options, because otherwise they are more susceptible to being manipulated and abused.

Irregardless of if men have options or not, most women DO. Even fat or ugly women can have more options than their male equivalent. The female side of the equation can't be ignored. It has become increasingly easy for women to find a new man, cheat, or break off a relationship. Even her having children may not be an impediment for her to divorce (and get child support or government assistance) or cheat (as the online studies are showing).

Many men suffer through bad relationships because they don't know how to talk to other women and can't overcome their fear of rejection. So they hang on to something that is broken, while increasingly, women will not.

Many women, when they know that they are a guy's ONLY option, will choose to use sex to manipulate the man and try to selfishly always get their way. And certain women can push this to where it's sadistic abuse (verbal or physical) and indirect blackmail for money and favors.

If anything, a woman knowing a guy has other options or is popular enough that he can find another if she doesn't treat him right, can mean better relationships.

I have several responses to the above.

First of all I disagree that women "are more susceptible to being manipulated and abused" or that they have more options than men, at least at the always slightly bogus level of generalizations about people. (I.e., there are lots of exceptions, and in the end it is the individual situations, not the generalizations that actually matter to people.) I'd say that men still hold most the majority of the cards and have more advantages than disadvantages relative to women if you look at relationships from a power-balance, marketability etc point-of-view. Especially in the long run, when children and age become major factors. Things look quite different when you consider 20 or 30 -somethings vs 40 or 50 -somethings, to say nothing of 60-somethings like me.

Second I agree that things are changing in the direction of a better/stronger/freer/more independent situation for women. In the past the needle was totally pinned toward a male advantage (in any age range), and it still is in much of the world. In advanced/cosmopolitan parts of the First World where most young women are will educated and can have successful and lucrative careers, the "playing field" is maybe approaching being level. Moreover and fwiiw, I personally think this shift/change is *great* for both women and men. I prefer a relationship in which my partner stays with me and treats me well because that is what she wants to do, because it is good for her, not because she feels that she has no other good options or is afraid of what would happen to her if our relationship ended.

Third, although I entirely agree with you that real world relationships have important components of power-balance, marketability, sexual manipulation (which I would have called sexual motivation) and other such adversarial contexts, I don't think that it is wise to look at one's own relationships from such perspectives to any major extent unless it becomes unavoidable. There is more than one reason, but the most important one is that such a view of relationships runs an enormous risk of becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy/expectation. In other words, if you enter a relationship viewing your partner in significant part as an adversary with interests and goals which conflict with your own, you can easily end up creating/generating exactly that sort of connection with her. My practice is to expect my partner to be kind, loving, giving, frequently willing to put my happiness ahead of her own etc, and in my experience, that is exactly the sort of wonderful situation that develops in most cases. (As should be obvious, I also do my best to treat her the same way I am expecting her to treat me.) Of course, things don't always work out so happily and don't always stay so blissful even if they start that way, but for the most part the aforesaid adversarial components of relationships have not been important parts of mine. And, imo, this is in large part because I do not go looking for them and try to ignore them when they appear to the extent possible. Btw, imo and experience, this is true in life in almost all contexts involving interactions with other people, not just romances; you most often get what you expect…in large part because you expect it…which makes you expect it all the more the next time around etc.

-Ww

1) I disagree that men have an advantage in many industrialized countries. In fact male advantage can be an illusion.

. Women live longer

. Modern women have total reproductive control.

If the man wants the child, she can have an abortion. If he doesn't want the child, she can have it against his wishes. They have birth control pills and IUDs, so intelligent women can choose when they get pregnant.

. Men are mostly in jail, not women.

. Men are mostly homeless, not women.

. Most college graduates now are women, not men.

. Divorce courts and government offices often favor women for child custody, child payments, alimony, and welfare.

. Rape and sexual assault laws have turned the burden of proof on its head, where men are often considered GUILTY, until proven innocent.

A man can be arrested and his reputation ruined on a woman's false accusation alone. And even when a woman is found to have lied and committed perjury, she can go unpunished.

. Men are often doing the dangerous and dirty work, not women.

I could go on and on, but my point is that overall and in reality, women have an often unacknowledged advantage.

And many men FAIL to use their few advantages when they get older because they are trapped in a traditional marriage, paying for their kid's college, or unhealthy. If you are a single 45+ man with money and in good health, yeah, you could do some things that a single 45 year old woman can't, but not much.

I was talking to a single 45ish woman the other day that discovered the joy of anal sex. It's her hook to keep guys. She has three or so 20 something year old boyfriends that enjoy meeting her. Plenty of young men will have NSA sex with older women, and some will even pay her. Would they marry her? Probably not. But she is not paying money for her young boyfriends either, while 40 something guys are often paying for the pleasure of 20 something women.

2) On your third point, about looking at relationships from an adversarial perspective, I would disagree a bit.

Many women do in fact view men like an adversary. They feel that they must "win" in the relationship and that the situation must be to their benefit. He needs to be taking care of them in some way, otherwise he is not needed and/or they are unhappy.

Furthermore, many women will attempt to "play innocent". They will have a guy think she is an innocent good girl, and then do very devilish and sneaky things behind his back.

A man turning a blind eye to such common views and games played by women, can very much be setting himself to be taken advantage of. Some years ago, I had no qualms about dating married women (I try to avoid them now). The things they would do were just shocking and the husband would have no clue whatsoever. Like meet up with 3 guys in a hotel room, have "no holes barred" sex for 2 hours, then go home to cook dinner. And I mean do things sexually with other men, that she would NEVER do with the husband. A woman can get her sexual needs satisfied outside the relationship, so that she can use withholding sex as a weapon AGAINST her husband or boyfriend that she is living with.

Women have a kind of stealthy power and advantage that a wise man should never underestimate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful reply, Solong.

1) I disagree that men have an advantage in many industrialized countries. In fact male advantage can be an illusion.

. Women live longer

. Modern Women have total reproductive control.

If the man wants the child, she can have an abortion. If he doesn't want the child, she can have it against his wishes. They have birth control pills and IUDs, so intelligent women can choose when they get pregnant.

. Men are mostly in jail, not women.

. Men are mostly homeless, not women.

. Most college graduates now are women, not men.

. Divorce courts and government offices often favor women for child custody, child payments, alimony, and welfare.

. Rape and sexual assault laws turn the burden of proof on it's head, where men are often considered GUILTY, until proven innocent.

A man can be arrested and his reputation ruined on a woman's false accusation alone. And even when a woman is found to have lied and committed perjury, she can go unpunished.

. Men are often doing the dangerous and dirty work, not women.

I could go on and on, but my point is that overall and in reality, women have an often unacknowledged advantage.

Up until this point in the thread we were discussing the advantages and disadvantages of men vs women in the context of dating, pick-ups, relationships, romance etc…or at least that is the topic I was discussing and understood you to be discussing. Now you have brought up a wide range of other contexts - aging and mortality rates, treatment by the justice system(s), homelessness, education and so forth. These are all perfectly good topics, and we could certainly discuss them. I agree with some of what you say, but not all of it, and I could bring up other ways and contexts to make a case that men have it better in life in general. However, with all due respect, I'm going to refrain from taking up those diverse issues. I don't have the time to go into all of those topics at any useful level, nor does this seem like a good place to do it. Perhaps someone else here would like to discuss them, but I'm going to stick to the relationship etc context.

The one thing you say in the part of your post I quote above that bears rather directly on relationships is this:

Modern Women have total reproductive control.

Fairly accurate as far as it goes, but if you think women have the advantage or better situation re reproduction, I would suggest you try really hard to imagine 1-what it is like to have a menstrual cycle complete with PMS and cramping and emotional jags every month for around 40 years, through all of which you are expected to carry out your roles at work, at home, as a parent and an SO; 2 - going through the intense biological and emotional/psychological changes of a pregnancy; 3 - freaking giving birth...maybe a difficult delivery such as a C-section or a forceps one…maybe even a still-birth (if your imagination fails you on this one, and it probably does, try going through a delivery with a woman you love as her labor coach...even just watching and "supporting" her will probably be one of the most stressful experiences of your life); 4 - enduring deep postpartum depression while trying to master the major new life skill of parenting; and 5 - seeing a large part of what has given you confidence/self-worth and brought you attention as a sexual being for your whole adult life disappear in a short period of time during menopause. Still think women have it better in the context of reproduction? Really...seriously? Wanna trade places with one of them?

How about after the children are born and growing up? Notice the difference in stigmatization by family, friends and society of a father who abandons his children and leaves the mother the job of single parenting versus that heaped on the very very rare mother who does the same. Who has more options in this all too common real life situation?

And many men FAIL to use their few advantages when they get older because they are trapped in a traditional marriage, paying for their kid's college, or unhealthy. If you are a single 45+ man with money and in good health, yeah, you could do some things that a single 45 year old woman can't, but not much.

I was talking to a single 45ish woman the other day that discovered the joy of anal sex. It's her hook to keep guys. She has three or so 20 something year old boyfriends that enjoy meeting her. Plenty of young men will have NSA sex with older women, and some will even pay her. Would they marry her? Probably not.

Sure, there are sexually active MILFs and cougars and such out there partying away (I know some too), but they are clearly way in the minority compared to men. You can look at the statistics (7.6% of married men in the US have a spouse 10 or more years their junior; the same number for married American women is 1.6%, about 5x less!) or just go out on the street and observe age differences in couples. And it is not just about age; notice how many not-so-attractive (or downright ugly) men are with cute/sexy women versus the opposite situation. The numbers are overwhelmingly asymmetric.

But she is not paying money for her young boyfriends either, while 40 something guys are often paying for the pleasure of 20 something women.

This comment puzzles me. You make it sound like men are somehow at a disadvantage because they have the p4p ***option***, at any level between purchasing a full sex life to occasionally treating themselves with an erotic luxury experience to simply satisfying the physical craving when their usual np4p partner is unavailable for some practical reason. This option is close to non-existent for women, especially women of ordinary financial means. In a place like Tokyo, which surely has one of the, perhaps the, most extensive and diverse commercial sex scene in the world and on a site like TAG, it seems amazing to me to regard the p4p option to be anything other than a huge asymmetry in favor of men.

Imagine a world in which both men and women were allowed to eat food that they prepared for themselves but in which it was only allowed or practical for women to eat in restaurants or order take-out meals etc. Would you be saying, "Men are lucky; the poor women; they are often paying someone else to provide them with meals"? I doubt it!

2) On your third point, about looking at relationships from an adversarial perspective, I would disagree a bit.

Many women do in fact view men like an adversary. They feel that they must "win" in the relationship and that the situation must be to their benefit. He needs to be taking care of them in some way, otherwise he is not needed and/or they are unhappy.

Furthermore, many women will attempt to "play innocent". They will have a guy think she is an innocent good girl, and then do very devilish and sneaky things behind his back.

A man turning a blind eye to such common views and games played by women, can very much be setting himself to be taken advantage of. Some years ago, I had no qualms about dating married women (I try to avoid them now). The things they would do were just shocking and the husband would have no clue whatsoever. Like meet up with 3 guys in a hotel room, have "no holes barred" sex for 2 hours, then go home to cook dinner. And I mean do things sexually with other men, that she would NEVER do with the husband. A woman can get her sexual needs satisfied outside the relationship, so that she can use withholding sex as a weapon AGAINST her husband or boyfriend that she is living with.

Women have a kind of stealthy power and advantage that a wise man should never underestimate.

This is probably the most significant way in which we differ. What you describe is simply not my experience in my now 50 years of rather diverse relationships with women of many sorts; there is hardly any at all common sort of man-woman emotional and physical connections that I have not experienced. (I should have some sort of celebration to mark the 5 decades of wonderful good times!) I have run into the sorts of adversarial and self-interested behavior from women you describe above, but it has been very much the exception to the pattern of being "kind, loving, giving, frequently willing to put my happiness ahead of her own etc", as I described it in my previous post to this thread.

I assume that your view is shaped by your own experiences and am led to wonder why they differ so much from my own. You might be tempted to jump to the conclusion that I am simply naive and blind to the trickery and "very devilish and sneaky things" being done "behind my back" by my partners. However, I very much doubt that that is the case because I am generally very good at "reading people" and understanding when I am being conned; in fact I routinely make money, quite a bit, based on those skills. Maybe I have just been luckier than you; I do tend to be absurdly lucky. Or maybe different sorts of women attract me and/or are attracted to me. Or maybe, as I suggested in my previous post, it is a matter of self-fulfilling expectations…which are powerful influences on interactions of all sorts with other people in my experience. Whatever the explanation, I'm very happy that I have been treated poorly by women so very rarely and feel sorry for guys whose experiences are otherwise; it must make the world a far bleaker place.

-Ww

This thread has gone a little of topic, but I bump it as it has some good info at the beginning.

To sum it up, basically as a place for hookup there is just Gaspanic? In a city as big as Tokyo...? Any other advice?

It's better to talk to women on the street, coffee shop, train, stores, video stores, etc...

Tokyo clubs will waste a lot of time and money. Especially Roppongi.

Japanese women now often go to the clubs with their GIRLFRIENDs to game play against men. They explicitly agree with their girlfriends NOT to go home with guys and NOT to have sex. The girlfriend will usually try to block you. And in addition, various Japanese men (pretending to protect her) will try blocking foreign men too.

The concept is partly based on that any man met in a club or disco is bad and dangerous. Japanese xenophobic and racist media, perpetuate that all foreign men are dangerous and Japanese women must be especially careful of them at any bars or clubs.

The Japanese women, will sexually TEASE guys to have them buy drinks. They will give you a phone number, then NEVER reply or go on a date. 9 out of 10 numbers are worthless. They are LAUGHING at guys that fall for their games and simply want ATTENTION.

These are all games Japanese women play and are told by other women to play against men. Being a tease and attention whore, to boost their ego, is what's going on.

Japanese women will even PRETEND to be upset that so many guys are talking to her, despite that she is in a club. "Look at all these desparate men, they want me, but they can't have me. I'm too good for them. Hahaha..." This is an egotistical and arrogant STATUS game among women, to fool and trick men.

If you happen to be a very good looking and rich or successful guy, you might pull an UGLY, FAT, or GOLD-DIGGER Japanese woman from the club. She will be happy to go home with you, because you are WAY ABOVE her level.

Logistically, Roppongi is a horrible place, because the hotels in the area are very expensive or BOOKED by prostitutes with their customers. Shibuya, has a better area, where the clubs and hotels are very near each other. However, the level of racism against foreigners in Shibuya is higher. To include black van campaigns yelling ultra-nationalist and xenophobic rhetoric or passing hateful flyers. Many college students in Shibuya, are on extra high alert against the few foreign men in the area.

A foreign man in Japan these days, is better off spending his money wisely. Don't let Japanese clubs and discos get you drunk and take your money for nothing.
You talk about people being " on alert" looking for foreigners in Shibuya and hostile cock-blocking in Roppongi. How bad is it? Does it severely hinder pick up? I really can't stand interference by someone seeking to be a spoiler.

Imo, Solong is right…Ropongi & Shibuya and such are not nearly as good a scene as they once were for gaijin guys, but fireman and PP357 are also right that they are not nearly as bad as Solong describes them.

-Ww

The situation is as bad, if not worse than I have described. I go to the clubs, but usually with a date. I'm not exaggerating, and if anything, my description of how bad it is, is not enough. The clubbing scene for hookups in Japan is VERY DEAD.

I'm very clear about this, because I visited and was in Japan years ago, when clubs were good (late 90s and early 2000s), so know the difference.

The style now, in Japan and Korea, is to bring a date or friends to the club to socialize. If you are going to do hookups, it's better to use Internet date sites, trains, or coffee shops.

Japanese and Korean media and xenophobic groups have and are MASSIVELY attacking heterosexual hookups in clubs and bars, and especially with foreigners. It's part of the xenophobic and ultra-nationalist agenda. To help some here understand the level of it, it's like how the KKK or Neo-Nazi feel about Black men dating White women (foreign men with Japanese/Korean women). Jews = Chinese and Koreans for Japanese extremist groups (Zaitokukai). And it's just as HYPOCRITICAL, where White man with any color woman is OK (Japanese/Korean men with foreign/White women = victory).

Korean media and right-wing groups have been far more overt and racist about it, but the Japanese media and groups have been just as foul, just more sly about it.

A Japanese woman that goes to a club to meet any guys (Japanese or foreign) = SLUT. Japanese women are often excessively paranoid of getting the slut label from friends or even other Japanese that are watching them. And the funny thing is Japan wonders why their sexual frequency and birth rate levels are so low.... Hilarious.

This is made worse by Japanese guys that consider Shibuya, Shinjuku, or Roppongi as "slut zones". They can be particularly aggressive towards Japanese women. Especially if they talk to foreigners. To include staring them down with bad looks, making rude comments, or interfering in any conversations they are having with foreigners.

Often, foreign tourist don't realize what is going on because they don't understand Japanese, don't realize the cultural situation they are in, or are still in the euphoria or fantasy world of having just came to Japan.

Japanese women in groups will massively cock-block almost any men (to include Japanese) talking to their girlfriends. And if they are appearing nice or receptive, it's often an ACT. They are playing the guys as fools, for laughs in front of their girlfriends. They are using the guys for free drinks, temporary entertainment, or to practice English. If they exchange phone numbers or e-mails, they won't usually reply or meet.

Shibuya Clubs

Gas Panic in Shibuya often has a male to female ratio of 3 or 5 to 1. Of the few women there, they are often with cock-block and fearful girlfriends, are on dates with other guys, or are just eye candy that know or are dating the bar staff.

Club Harlem DOESN'T allow single foreign men to enter their club. Foreign men must be escorted by a Japanese person. And when you go in, it's like being in high school. Boys on one side and in a group, girls on another side and in their own groups. They then do weird zombie dancing in front of the DJ.

Club Asia is much of the same, except they do allow single foreigners in, but have a high entrance charge. If guys try talking to women, a lot of the Japanese women will walk away out of fear or girlfriends pulling them away.

Club Flame is a little better, but is primarily good for couples and not heterosexual hookups.

Roppongi Clubs

Roppongi is all HYPE now. The legend that was Roppongi died in the 90s and early 2000s.

Now, it's more about scams and you buying drinks, not hookups. Many women are in girls-only groups (josei-kai), are eye-candy that know or work for the bar staff, go-go dancers that are told to NOT date club customers, etc...

Often the clubs in Roppongi are full of oddly aggressive Japanese guys, who like to "act like foreigners" (or what they think foreign men act like) and try picking up girls. But instead come off as very rude or weird to even Japanese women, and will often scare women. And they will block foreign men, just out of spite.

Most of the time, Roppongi is a waste and just pouring money down the drain with getting drunk or eating, not hooking up. And even if you found a woman, many of the hotels in the area will be booked. So your best bet is you or her live close enough to take a taxi.

A guy is WAY better off just riding the train or cruising coffee shops and talking to women, than going to any club. If you make a date, then CERTAIN clubs can be good to take your date to. Because you can hug, dance, and kiss her. Which then makes going to the hotel a viable possibility. However, don't confuse taking a date to a club, with finding women for hookups in a club. There is a clear distinction now.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldenDalton
That's the impression I had, but I guess Tokyo is worse than the rest of the country. I had the same feeling in Roppongi (where once I was made buy expensive drinks and took to a variety of other clubs by a girl - typical scam, other times I had problems with the cock blocker friends), but didn't have the same feeling at all in Kyoto (at least when Same & Dave's was open) or Sapporo. I guess Tokyo is worse than other places isnt' it? I posted a request of help on Kyoto because I feel it wouldn't be as bad.

The situation is as bad, if not worse than I have described. I go to the clubs, but usually with a date. I'm not exaggerating, and if anything, my description of how bad it is, is not enough. The clubbing scene for hookups in Japan is VERY DEAD.

I'm very clear about this, because I visited and was in Japan years ago, when clubs were good (late 90s and early 2000s), so know the difference.

The style now, in Japan and Korea, is to bring a date or friends to the club to socialize. If you are going to do hookups, it's better to use Internet date sites, trains, or coffee shops.

Japanese and Korean media and xenophobic groups have and are MASSIVELY attacking heterosexual hookups in clubs and bars, and especially with foreigners. It's part of the xenophobic and ultra-nationalist agenda. To help some here understand the level of it, it's like how the KKK or Neo-Nazi feel about Black men dating White women (foreign men with Japanese/Korean women). Jews = Chinese and Koreans for Japanese extremist groups (Zaitokukai). And it's just as HYPOCRITICAL, where White man with any color woman is OK (Japanese/Korean men with foreign/White women = victory).

Korean media and right-wing groups have been far more overt and racist about it, but the Japanese media and groups have been just as foul, just more sly about it.

A Japanese woman that goes to a club to meet any guys (Japanese or foreign) = SLUT. Japanese women are often excessively paranoid of getting the slut label from friends or even other Japanese that are watching them. And the funny thing is Japan wonders why their sexual frequency and birth rate levels are so low.... Hilarious.

This is made worse by Japanese guys that consider Shibuya, Shinjuku, or Roppongi as "slut zones". They can be particularly aggressive towards Japanese women. Especially if they talk to foreigners. To include staring them down with bad looks, making rude comments, or interfering in any conversations they are having with foreigners.

Often, foreign tourist don't realize what is going on because they don't understand Japanese, don't realize the cultural situation they are in, or are still in the euphoria or fantasy world of having just came to Japan.

Japanese women in groups will massively cock-block almost any men (to include Japanese) talking to their girlfriends. And if they are appearing nice or receptive, it's often an ACT. They are playing the guys as fools, for laughs in front of their girlfriends. They are using the guys for free drinks, temporary entertainment, or to practice English. If they exchange phone numbers or e-mails, they won't usually reply or meet.

Shibuya Clubs

Gas Panic in Shibuya often has a male to female ratio of 3 or 5 to 1. Of the few women there, they are often with cock-block and fearful girlfriends, are on dates with other guys, or are just eye candy that know or are dating the bar staff.

Club Harlem DOESN'T allow single foreign men to enter their club. Foreign men must be escorted by a Japanese person. And when you go in, it's like being in high school. Boys on one side and in a group, girls on another side and in their own groups. They then do weird zombie dancing in front of the DJ.

Club Asia is much of the same, except they do allow single foreigners in, but have a high entrance charge. If guys try talking to women, a lot of the Japanese women will walk away out of fear or girlfriends pulling them away.

Club Flame is a little better, but is primarily good for couples and not heterosexual hookups.

Roppongi Clubs

Roppongi is all HYPE now. The legend that was Roppongi died in the 90s and early 2000s.

Now, it's more about scams and you buying drinks, not hookups. Many women are in girls-only groups (josei-kai), are eye-candy that know or work for the bar staff, go-go dancers that are told to NOT date club customers, etc...

Often the clubs in Roppongi are full of oddly aggressive Japanese guys, who like to "act like foreigners" (or what they think foreign men act like) and try picking up girls. But instead come off as very rude or weird to even Japanese women, and will often scare women. And they will block foreign men, just out of spite.

Most of the time, Roppongi is a waste and just pouring money down the drain with getting drunk or eating, not hooking up. And even if you found a woman, many of the hotels in the area will be booked. So your best bet is you or her live close enough to take a taxi.

A guy is WAY better off just riding the train or cruising coffee shops and talking to women, than going to any club. If you make a date, then CERTAIN clubs can be good to take your date to. Because you can hug, dance, and kiss her. Which then makes going to the hotel a viable possibility. However, don't confuse taking a date to a club, with finding women for hookups in a club. There is a clear distinction now.

I hate clubs period, so that bothers me not one iota. You seem to support solid day game. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Imo, Solong is right…Ropongi & Shibuya and such are not nearly as good a scene as they once were for gaijin guys, but fireman and PP357 are also right that they are not nearly as bad as Solong describes them.
-Ww

I am not a Roppongi person, but I would ditto that. Roppongi is not the pickup haven that it was 30 years ago, but people still go there to do just that. Fact is everything changes... places, people, you yourself. It impossible to return to the same place you once were at.

I hate clubs period, so that bothers me not one iota. You seem to support solid day game. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Yes. And it doesn't have to be day game exactly, just not clubs and bars. You can do trains, video stores, convience stores, etc... at night.

Anywhere you can get the oppourtunity to talk to Japanese or Korean women (Korea has a similar problem with clubs) in 1 to 1 situations is best and the women are loitering a bit.

I went to some clubs in south Aoyama of Tokyo, and same situation as Roppongi. Complete with 1 club having go-go dancer, women who were friends of the DJ and club staff, and groups of Japanese women in lesbian-like groups holding each other hands.

I've been to Osaka, Sasebo, Nagasaki, and Okinawa. I can say the club situation is a little bit better than Tokyo. But it depends and the language problem can be worse. In Tokyo, some Japanese speak English. In Osaka and Nagasaki few women speak English or are too embarrassed and shy to even try. I was fine, as I speak decent Japanese, but not my friends who were visiting from the U.S. I had to act as interpreter, and that doesn't usually work out well for them. Honestly, I tried, but the language barrier was too great for them.

What makes Osaka a bit better, if you speak Japanese, is there are so few foreigners that xenophobic propaganda is less and curiosity is more. People from Osaka are also famous for being a bit more outgoing. Again, in comparison to clubs, regular day approaches was way more successful.

In Okinawa, clubs nearly everywhere is a waste due to anti-American and even anti-mainland Japanese sentiment. Okinawa has shot itself in the foot, and made itself too anti-tourist. Especially clubs in Okinawa city and Near Gate 2 by Kadena, are totally dead and a wonder that they can even stay operating.

But, certain and a few clubs in Naha, were very different. These are where Okinawan and mainland Japanese tourist women go to meet foreign men, often military. It's semi-secret and VERY scandalous. If the Okinawa media found out, they would descend upon and destroy those places like jealous hateful vultures. Those clubs are like the famous hookup places from the 90s. Women are even having SEX IN the CLUB. The clubs are near kokusai street. If you ever visit Naha, ask some foreign owned bars about them, and they will give you directions.

The key to those Naha clubs is nearly NO Japanese guys. It was Asian (mostly Okinawan) and some foreign women (mostly military or dependants) with foreign men. Since returning to Japan, those clubs in Okinawa and in Naha are the only ones that I can recommend. And unfortunately, the nature of the situation is they are in jeopardy if they get too popular or targeted by Japanese groups.

If you got good day approach technique and using Internet date sites as a supplement, you don't need any clubs or bars. The ratio of Japanese women to foreign men on the street is 100 to 1. Plenty to choose from. No need to go into clubs packed with xenophobic Japanese guys, scams, and females hold each other hands like little girls.

Last edited:

-Ww

Tokyo Nights its my expertise, I know clubs like my palms. I dont mean to make any opposition against Wanderder. I just want to say that I find Solong to be very accurate regarding Roppongi and Gaspanic.

The low birth rate is due to the cost of rising more than 1 son. Japan is facing population growth in an inverted pyramid shape. The goverment is offering all sorts of supports for couples to have more children, but I dont really see much change. And Japanese economy is getting worse each year. Major companies going abroad...Like Toyota openning a factory in...Brazil. Each year university graduates are having harder times to find a job that actually match their studies. In half a year it is planned to rise tax to 10%. Even finding アバイト's is hard these days, everytime you call after seeing a ぼしゅう flyer, the answer is "no opennings". Kids are growing up awared of this situation as well.

However EARLY-year sex intercourse is totally on the rise. enjo-kosai around Koma for example. Have you been watching TV... I think it was last week that they broadcasted female police officers catching teenagers late at night. Once they open their brand bags, they find tabacco and the answer is: "a friend give it to me, its not mine." and when the police ask show me your identification, the answer is: "yada". Most of their mothers think that their daughter is at a friends house. All this of course is in a Japanese context.

So technically I would definetly not connect low sex frequency with low birth rate. There is a lot of young people having sex much more than 20 years ago.

As to what matter is this thread about Foreigners in Japan and the dating success...well...10 years ago I used to have dozens of American (or other English speaking) friend...now I only have a few. I dont see foreigners as much as I used to before. Since Im into foreign FEMALES, this decreasing rate is also considerable notorious. I used to meet a lot of blondes back in the days...and now Im having trouble to just find " - 1 - ".

And the final answer after reading absolutely all posts under this topic (which was extensive), the answer is NO. ROPPONGI IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE...or...WHAT IT WAS KNOWN AS TO BE. ROPPONGI IS GONE!

Tokyo Nights its my expertise, I know clubs like my palms. I dont mean to make any opposition against Wanderder.

No worries, I never take offense at opinions that differ from my own and least of all from people, like you and Solong, who clearly know a lot about the topic in question.

I do, however, like both of my w's, as in "Ww"...if you could be so kind in the future.

And the final answer after reading absolutely all posts under this topic (which was extensive), the answer is NO. ROPPONGI IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE...or...WHAT IT WAS KNOWN AS TO BE. ROPPONGI IS GONE!

To be clear, I definitely agree that Roppongi and its pick-up clubs have changed vastly over the years and decades and are *much* worse now. I just don't think that it is as totally hopeless as Solong (and perhaps you) suggest. I dare say that many hook-ups occur every night (maybe not Sunday nights) in Roppongi clubs. I know personally some young J women who still go there looking for hook-ups and find what they seek on a regular basis. Of course, this does not mean that most of the men in those clubs find what they are after; most almost surely do not, a large majority in fact, I'd guess. But that is the case in most clubs almost everywhere in the world. The old Roppongi was anomalously fantastically great; the new Roppongi is only ordinary, maybe a bit worse but not totally hopeless/useless imo.

-Ww

@Keiji

Japan has a problem with sexual frequency in general, that extents beyond birth rate.

The famous Durex study (Google them and their sex survey) of numerous countries has consistently put Japan at the BOTTOM or LAST for sexual satisfaction and sexual frequency for the last 10 years.

This include sexless marriages, which is widely reported in the news media. Many Japanese, after 3 years of marriage, stop having sex with their husband. And even if they do have sex, it's like 1x a week or 2x a month, which is still defined as sexless.

Many YOUNG Japanese women are afraid of sex with men or are clueless about how to be good at sex.

That some young Japanese teenagers are prostituting themselves, isn't defined as normal sexual relationships.

If anything, it demonstrates females as using sex in a predatory and business way, divorced from developing loving and passionate relationships that don't involve money or blackmail.

And in complete agreement with Keiji about Roppongi. It's GONE! The club scene in general has died in Japan. Now it's about rip you off for over priced drinks or get so drunk that you puke and/or fall asleep on the ground.

Last edited:
This time finding the site was easy: http://www.durex.com/en-il/sexualwellbeingsurvey/fequency of sex/pages/default.aspx I would really appreciate if these references can be provided, sometimes its not easy to find because I dont know foreign media well. However I find it very awkward the need to find research made abroad by outsiders. It is a very common question couples with their first baby get all the time: Will you guys go for a second one? The answer is always an Economical concern and since one can easily talk this with everybody around...its strange the need to comfirm with foreign surveys. I dont want to describe my whole family for every reader's boredom but I come from a very large old fashioned Japanese family each of my parents have other 6 brothers and sisters which got me dozens of cousins, most of my cousins have kids of all age ranges with half of them who already got their sons past high school. Everytime we make family meetings, sex is a common topic; and the same goes for when kids go elsewhere and we adults remain talking teenage sex is a common topic as well. All parents keep saying: "I think my sons are already into it but cannot comfirm it." Me belonging to the family branch that has gone around the globe, I happen to be a very open minded member and youngers have an easier time to talk about sex with me. I dont think that survey values will last long from what I hear by the younger generations and that survey was last made in 2006...

Teenage sex is so common to me that I have a hard time to rely on that survey. I tend to travel a lot around Japan and most of the time I spend a couple of hours in Net Cafes or DVD rooms. Everytime I enter a Net Cafe of Japanese style: tatami floor, one can easily find teenage couples having sex by peeking through the room openings while walking to service free drink. Friends enter to Net Cafes by pairs of the same sex gender and once inside they switch rooms to finally end up with their couple...and once you notice they are "too quiet"...its because they are into it...

In my 20s I used to buy Men's Egg magazine every month: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MensEGG
Each print would always have a sex section at the back. You can get a look at any convenience store... instead of reading what is said from outside Japan, I find it better to just look around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MensEGG

MensEGG is a style magazine distributed in Japan aimed at young men. It is a counterpart of Egg magazine, which focuses on Gyaru-oh (male Gyaru) fashions – it is the gyaru-oh bible. There is also Men's Egg Bitter magazine, aimed at Gyaruo aged 23 and above.
Men's Egg's image revolves around Japanese working-class trends, appealing to young men mostly under 20. It draws inspiration from Japanese "yankee" (delinquent) culture, also with techno and surfer influences. This style is often looked down on by some other Japanese, who associate it with juvenile delinquency, and also, "Inakamono"(somebody from the countryside). The generic "Bon-Jovi"-esque style featured in Men's Egg magazine can be found being offered cheaply in chain clothing-stores across Japan such as "Zenmall" or "Jeansmate" although the big name gyaruo fashion brands sell for high prices.
Apart from fashion, the magazine also features information for young teenagers, such as advice on picking up girls, dating, and explicit articles with advice on sex. The magazine also contains information about club events. Men's Egg style continues to be very popular in Japan, and can be found in most convenience stores.
Men's Egg ceased publication in November 2013.

Ummm I didnt knew they stopped printing...

To write on topic:

Just went to a few clubs the past few days.
Namely, Camelot, and AgeHa.

Camelot I found the following experience:
Extremely young crowd. Ladies in groups, very hard to penetrate. If its a group of 2 then you must have a wingman. If its a group of 4-5 then you can go solo and pull one from the group with little resistance.

The thing is, they WILL resist. They don't want to be viewed as a slut in front of their friends so they will NOT just talk to you. You need to release them from the pressure by acknowledging their friends, maybe even asking permission or telling her friends how cute she is. What you want is her friends to cheer her on for getting picked up. Oh and fuck phone numbers / emails. I chatted a girl who just gave her number to a "doctor" and her first question to me was "How can I reject him??"
If you don't get something worthwhile that night, shes going to want to forget you by the next morning.

AgeHa was a little different.
The crowd was a little older, not early twenties but more mid twenties. The groups were more friendly by like 15% and easier to penetrate.
Because of the spacious floor and the immense crowd, groups had a very hard time staying together. I found girls walking around alone all over the place. These girls are likely on the defensive looking for their friends, so I didn't approach them but they were also easily found dancing on the floor alone (in the main hall - not the satellite halls)
There were a couple girls who were flying solo which really confused me. They pushed off advances from EVERYONE and maintained a cool - just moving each time someone advanced. I was wondering if they were hired dancers or not. I made eye contact with a few, and they kept hovering around me - yet ignored me each time I showed them any attention. I got bored with them though, and started to ignore them. I think I saw them with guys later on in the night though. There were plenty of amateur single girls who lost their friend to a guy and were waiting for someone to come by, but they too would deflect the guys advancing on them. Eventually guys were able to break them and they had fun. Still, girls many didnt.

The thing I came to realize though, was explained earlier in the thread: that if you dont make your move within the first hour that it gets crowded, then you are left with the girls who have been rejecting guys all night long and are waiting for tom cruise to pick them up.

By the end of the night around 4:30am, girls who hadn't been picked up yet were getting desperate too. I had one or two lonely girls who lost their friends hover around me wanting me to pick them up, but I had no interest at that point and was just waiting for first train. I'm actually married and just went to have a good time with no intention of bedding someone. I do believe that you will have no luck taking someone home if you passed the first hour rule I mentioned above. If you succeed at getting someone in the first hour - get her relaxed by making out and buying her drinks and leave the scene with her quickly - dont let it drag on to the end.

The scene is definitely not dead as is being said, but its certainly not cost effective. It's also slightly annoying having to learn how to penetrate these barriers the girls put around them (for good reason - there are a lot of creeps). Still, I had fun. Ringing in my ears next morning sucks though!

Last edited:
The scene is definitely not dead as is being said, but its certainly not cost effective.

Roppongi used to be a district that had several entertainment buildings around the crossing, it was easy to enter different clubs in one single night and was highly attracting foreigners, that is the "image" that now is gone. AgeHa on the other hand its in Shin-Kiba, and thats the only place that there is around. If you go to that place and dont enter the club, there is nothing else you can do there around. This topic was refering to how had Roppongi changed over the years. Not only because you could enter different clubs but because you could just talk to people in the streets or any restaurant, don quijote, mc donalds, wherever there was people. Shin-Kiba is AgeHa only. Roppongi always had people going in one direction or another because there were plenty of options for a single night. Not to mention that there were still other places to go around Roppongi. Contrary to Shin-Kiba, if for some reason you do not enter AgeHa, you are nowhere close to any other place you could travel even by taxi, the fare would be too expensive...Maybe Tokyo Zepp,...and if you know that there is a venue or anywhere in Odaiba...but its still far...

Roppongi was like a mega-supermarket to find woman back in those years... and AgeHa is my best favourite club of these days but its like an island...you will be there all the night until the trains start to run again with nowhere else to go.

Reactions: Solong
AgeHa on the other hand its in Shin-Kiba, and thats the only place that there is around.

Yup, it's a nice place to go dancing or to go see a concert (Studio Coast earlier in the evenings), but for hookups it might as well be on Mars. There's literally nothing nearby, and it's a good 10 minute walk to the train station. The whole point of the hookup location is that playtime can be seen as a spontaneous action, no matter how far ahead you plan it. Even if you meet a girl at AgeHa, you have to walk her to the train station, take a train (probably 2), and walk to a love hotel from there. Not bloody likely.

Yup, it's a nice place to go dancing or to go see a concert (Studio Coast earlier in the evenings), but for hookups it might as well be on Mars. There's literally nothing nearby, and it's a good 10 minute walk to the train station. The whole point of the hookup location is that playtime can be seen as a spontaneous action, no matter how far ahead you plan it. Even if you meet a girl at AgeHa, you have to walk her to the train station, take a train (probably 2), and walk to a love hotel from there. Not bloody likely.

Time to taxi!

-Ww