Guest viewing is limited

Looking for a specific type of Dog

Vhial

TAG Member
Reaction score
So, dunno if anyone here would have much advice on this subject, but I'd appreciate anything you may have.

I'm looking to get a Husky, preferably a puppy, but not sure where to start here in Tokyo.
I don't have an apartment, so don't worry about that aspect.
Does anyone have any experience with buying dogs in Japan?.

I'm looking to get a Husky, preferably a puppy, but not sure where to start here in Tokyo.
There are two large pet stores along the musashikoyama shopping street (near the musashi koyama station). But I think you need to bring someone who speaks conversational japanese

Reactions: sohelpmegoat
Just some information to add, huskies aren't exactly first time owner friendly, if you're picking it as your first pet you might want to do some research because huskies are VERY free willed.

Not that I am against getting one, they are absolutely great companions but you do need alot of patience.

I grew up around Huskies, a lot of folks in my home town had sled teams. They're gorgeous dogs; loyal, intelligent, friendly, and very active.

But are you sure you want to keep a Husky in this climate? They really don't do well in the heat in summer here.

They've been bred for Arctic conditions, which means they have a thick top and undercoat which leaves them prone to overheating.

One of our neighbours keeps one, they have to crop his coat towards the end of spring - they take the clippers to him and trim his coat to around 5 mm - and they have to maintain that weekly until October or November.

Looks like this when they're done:

13227d1268704739-shaved-husky-huskyaftershave.jpg

All that said, the Coo and Riku chain have a few husky puppies at the moment.

In the greater Tokyo area, their Hiratsuka, Fussa, and Fujisawa stores have female pups, Yokusuka has a male.

They really don't do well in the heat in summer here.
Regarding this I have some more info to add, I have a husky in Malaysia and the weather is hot all year except monsoon seasons. Local huskies in Malaysia acclimatised and have thinner coats compared to their western counterparts, one of the breeders here imported a few from the west and I'm surprised by the difference in coat thickness. They do fine if you keep them indoors air conditioned, having walks and exercise outside up to two hours a day doesn't seem to faze them.

For a friend, does anyone know where to get corgies in Japan? Preferably cheap so maybe a shelter (cheap and corgi is asking for the moon, i know, haha)

Information appreciated

For a friend, does anyone know where to get corgies in Japan? Preferably cheap so maybe a shelter (cheap and corgi is asking for the moon, i know, haha)

Information appreciated
Corgis are never going to be cheap again imo with all the attention on the internet, and they are hard to breed to begin with. I am lucky to have bought one before the breed became famous all over the internet, now being high in demand and the difficulty of breeding the price is being kept high. In Malaysia one corgi pup goes for an equivalent of 170k yen.

Edit: You can get cheaper ones from breeding farms in Taiwan/China but I am not sure how dog importation works in Japan. But I strongly advise against buying from breeding farms because the don't comply to breeding standards hence lower quality pups with alot of health problems, and their breeding method is unethical as hell.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Reactions: sohelpmegoat

Information appreciated

Pet Home has listings of animals looking for adoption all over Japan. Corgis pop up regularly, they're not easy dogs to keep.

Corgis are never going to be cheap again imo with all the attention on the internet, and they are hard to breed to begin with. I am lucky to have bought one before the breed became famous all over the internet, now being high in demand and the difficulty of breeding the price is being kept high. In Malaysia one corgi pup goes for an equivalent of 170k yen.

Edit: You can get cheaper ones from breeding farms in Taiwan/China but I am not sure how dog importation works in Japan. But I strongly advise against buying from breeding farms because the don't comply to breeding standards hence lower quality pups with alot of health problems, and their breeding method is unethical as hell.
Haha, corgis would be a great investment!

But yes, definitely no breeding farms, i was more wondering is Japanese animal shelters would have them.
Precisely because they are so hyped, some spoilt people must buy them just to get tired of them in a few days.

Reactions: Troilist
I grew up around Huskies, a lot of folks in my home town had sled teams. They're gorgeous dogs; loyal, intelligent, friendly, and very active.

But are you sure you want to keep a Husky in this climate? They really don't do well in the heat in summer here.

They've been bred for Arctic conditions, which means they have a thick top and undercoat which leaves them prone to overheating.

One of our neighbours keeps one, they have to crop his coat towards the end of spring - they take the clippers to him and trim his coat to around 5 mm - and they have to maintain that weekly until October or November.

Looks like this when they're done:

13227d1268704739-shaved-husky-huskyaftershave.jpg

All that said, the Coo and Riku chain have a few husky puppies at the moment.

In the greater Tokyo area, their Hiratsuka, Fussa, and Fujisawa stores have female pups, Yokusuka has a male.
That’s my primary concern too. If you can’t provide your pet an artificial climate it will be torture for the poor dog..

Also I apologize for pushing my agenda but isn’t it better to save a life from a shelter instead of buying a living, breathing animal? Your pet will forever be grateful to you for his second chance in life.

I know pets in shelters don’t look very cute. If we were abandoned by our family, helpless, we would look the same. Some shelters in Japan provide healthcare and good nutrition and some even provide foster families so the pets are okay. I promise they thrive and get better once you get them home and love them.

Last edited:
That’s my primary concern too. If you can’t provide your pet an artificial climate it will be torture for the poor dog..

Also I apologize for pushing my agenda but isn’t it better to save a life from a shelter instead of buying a living, breathing animal? Your pet will forever be grateful to you for his second chance in life.

I know pets in shelters don’t look very cute. If we were abandoned by our family, helpless, we would look the same. Some shelters in Japan provide healthcare and good nutrition and some even provide foster families so the pets are okay. I promise they thrive and get better once you get them home and love them.

I like you. :)

And here's a link to search for huskies on Pet Home.

If they have a pink stripe they've been adopted. Blue stripes are looking for a home.

And whaddaya know - one popped up in Yokohama!

isn’t it better to save a life from a shelter instead of buying a living, breathing animal? Your pet will forever be grateful to you for his second chance in life.

Absolutely. My wife and I adopted our two cats from the local shelter many years ago and they’ve never let us forget...
...that they totally own us now.;)

And I for one welcome our feline overlords. :LOL:

So, dunno if anyone here would have much advice on this subject, but I'd appreciate anything you may have.

I don't have an apartment, so don't worry about that aspect.
Does anyone have any experience with buying dogs in Japan?.
Some Pet shops can cater to your specific needs. Check around!

Just get any fucking dog. I have no patience for people who want a certain kind of dog. Ok. Big or small is OK, but other than that, the decision should be made at the pound and should be based purely on personality.

Just get any fucking dog. I have no patience for people who want a certain kind of dog. Ok. Big or small is OK, but other than that, the decision should be made at the pound and should be based purely on personality.

“Personality goes a long way.”

Reactions: Sudsy
Reactions: Anna Summer