Looney Tunes French Politician

Why is that a major point? We should all know by now that the election system doesn't require that.

Obama lost the popular vote already in the primary in 2008 so he was not voted even by the majority of people in his own party. Don't remember anyone crying about that though.

Ok then its even more screwed-up than I thought! Who won the democratic primary in 2008? (based on popular vote)

Reactions: MikeH
Ok then its even more screwed-up than I thought! Who won the democratic primary in 2008? (based on popular vote)
Come to think of it no, it isnt . After all if a party's internal rule is to decide who will be the candidate based on whatever decision process is right for them, why not. They nominate a candidate, it's not the same thing as electing a president. French parties didnt even use primaries until very recently.
But for the country itself, why not simply electing the candidate who got the majority? (or at least the higher number of votes?) . What's the rationale for chosing the guy who got LESS votes?

Oh man, don't you remember GWB vs Al "I invented the Internet" Gore?

I just remember some of my US friends who hated Bill Clinton say after the elections that they hope he lives a long life; the only thing worse than Bill as a president would be Al as a president :D

Of course Hillary! But why is that screwed-up more than any other voting system? My preferred system would be of course the candidates fight 1-on-1 until death but only because that would guarantee most of them would die :ROFLMAO:

I just remember some of my US friends who hated Bill Clinton say after the elections that they hope he lives a long life; the only thing worse than Bill as a president would be Al as a president :D

Of course Hillary! But why is that screwed-up more than any other voting system? My preferred system would be of course the candidates fight 1-on-1 until death but only because that would guarantee most of them would die :ROFLMAO:

It's more rationale, in a way! :)

the only thing worse than Bill as a president would be Al as a president :D

The funny thing is the people who tended to idolize Gore were the same groups that would object to special interest groups contributing to politicians but Gore made his career based on money he received from the recording industry and very clearly tried to push laws favoring them (and in some cases succeeded). There was also his (now ex) wife Tipper Gore who started the organization (Parents Music Resource Council) that got warning labels put on lots of CDs and cassette tapes in the US. Unelected wife of a politician interfering in the laws of the nation.

The same people who hated Bill Clinton were the ones complaining about how Hillary was acting like an unelected politician. The attempt at doing national healthcare during Bill's 8 years was actually called "Hillarycare" in the press because it was her pushing things.

Current Reuters report (sorry for all caps):

TURNOUT IN FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION SECOND ROUND AT 65.30 PCT BY 1500 GMT VS 71.96 PCT IN 2012 AT THE SAME HOUR, 75.11 PCT IN 2007 AT THE SAME HOUR AND 67.62 PCT IN 2002 AT THE SAME HOUR - INTERIOR MINISTRY [RTR]​

followed by

HARRIS INTERACTIVE SAYS ESTIMATES FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION SECOND ROUND ABSTENTION AT 27 PCT [RTR]​

with 5 hours to go, I definitely would not be placing any bets on who will come out on top!

better than her I suppose.
We'll see. Marine Le Pen, though I think her stated intentions regarding the Euro and EU would have been disastrous, has lived politics all her life. She's crafty enough that she might just not pull the trigger on her more extreme promises to keep power. Macron is an untried newcomer with zero experience and a pretty thin list of concrete policies.

National politics in France is more like rugby than croquet, so we'll see what we see.

We'll see. Marine Le Pen, though I think her stated intentions regarding the Euro and EU would have been disastrous, has lived politics all her life. She's crafty enough that she might just not pull the trigger on her more extreme promises to keep power. Macron is an untried newcomer with zero experience and a pretty thin list of concrete policies.

National politics in France is more like rugby than croquet, so we'll see what we see.
he has been economy minister and she has never been in any government.
she has lived experience based only criticizing other politics and was raised in a haters party that has built all its success on other's failures rather than own strategy of success. they don't have a realistic plans, she just want to please everyone saying that she'll reduce taxes and in the same time that she's against big companies, she'll reduce medicine prices but she'll tax importation (80% of the medicine sold in France is imported).
FN partisans see economy as if it was a cake of fixed size thinking the more population you have the smaller the size of cake's share will be and it's definitely not how it works. Japan has twice the population of France in a smaller country and they have less unemployment.
and all her plans about terrorism are really naive, banning dual citizenship won't change a thing, actually terrorists wished she would win cause her party helps a lot the djihad recruitment will all the hatred they spreads.

Last edited:
There was no way Le Pen was going to win this, but seriously speaking, it's entirely possible for the Front Nationale to win in the near future. It would be tough, but it's not entirely impossible assuming Macron screws up. With that said, while Macron comes across a total status-quo puppet to a lot of people, we have no idea how his presidency will go down. I guess we'll see what happens.

Saw this photo today. Did you? Wow, his wife is a glamous charm. They still must have a pretty good night sex life, as a hus VS wife.

Attachments

• IMG_7191.jpg
    IMG_7191.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 85
Saw this photo today. Did you? Wow, his wife is a glamous charm. They still must have a pretty good night sex life, as a hus VS wife.
Yes, and he said himself he wouldn't have succeeded without her love and support. Awwwww! :rolleyes:

Lovely! D.Trump must be so jealous at them!!!
Ah ah, not a chance. Trump is so deluded he certainly thinks he won the popular vote (if you dont count the million illegal voters that are only in his head), and he certainly thinks his wife is still madly in love with him (if you forget the fact she just doesnt want to live in the same place!)

Ah ah, not a chance. Trump is so deluded he certainly thinks he won the popular vote (if you dont count the million illegal voters that are only in his head), and he certainly thinks his wife is still madly in love with him (if you forget the fact she just doesnt want to live in the same place!)

But to be honest, if their couple can survive the life at Elysee and extra female attention he will certainly get, then they must be some kind of eternal soulmates! Many presidential couples didnt survive long there (or were not even real couples anymore when it started, cf Francois and Danielle Mitterrand)

Reactions: Yuriko
But to be honest, if their couple can survive the life at Elysee and extra female attention he will certainly get, then they must be some kind of eternal soulmates!

It has been said that he isn't as interested in females as previous presidents.....

Reactions: TheScientist