Lurker turned member

Welcome!

You are in for a treat; Tokyo is terrific in many ways, definitely including its nightlife.

How long will you be in town?

-Ww

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I am shooting for a two week stay. I definitely want to visit a strip club and a fetish club. I also would like to see the lgbt nightlife too and am curious to know if they have some p4p girlxgirl places.

am curious to know if they have some p4p girlxgirl places.

They do, but most of them are Japanese and require some Japanese. I believe we have only one actual review of such a place right now.

Anyway, thanks for joining up! Good to have you here. :) Feel free to ask questions and do all the research you need before your trip!

Feel free to ask questions and do all the research you need before your trip!

Doing research and making some plans, at least general plans, before you arrive is excellent advice. Two weeks is not bad for a first visit (some travelers a lot just a few days to experience Tokyo), but it still isn't that long considering the sheer size (metropolitan population larger than many countries, e.g., Canada), complexity and alienness (if you are a Westerner without much experience in Asia) of the city. Moreover, you can sort of semi-lose the first few days to jet lag and culture shock, again especially true if you haven't done a lot of previous world travel. So, the more prepared you are in terms of what you want to do and how/when you will do it, the more experiences you can pack into the time you have available.

TAG is not only a great resource (or at least the best available one in English) for such research on nightlife, but if you participate in board discussions/community and such, you may well end up making friends who will show you around a bit.

-Ww

As a latina/american the number one things i am worried about culturally are sometimes i talk loud and dont recognize it and its hard to dress modest when leggings as pants are a social norm here. But yeah i am trying to avoid cultural blunders by doing research and am trying to learn japanese on my spare time.

As a latina/american the number one things i am worried about culturally are sometimes i talk loud and dont recognize it and its hard to dress modest when leggings as pants are a social norm here. But yeah i am trying to avoid cultural blunders by doing research and am trying to learn japanese on my spare time.
don't be ashamed for being natural.
I think it's cool to be like that, it's more human.
my wife used to blame me for that and now she became the same after spending many years in my home country :D

Reactions: Pansexual latina
@Pansexual latina - An important secret to feeling comfortable in Japan as a foreigner is to realize that while Japanese people mostly very much appreciate any and all efforts you might make to "fit in" and "do it their way", even in tiny ways, they at the same time do not expect you to succeed nor do they hold it against you if you are acting weird or outrageous by their standards (and you almost certainly will be even if you don't realize it). In fact, they more-or-less expect you to do so. There are exceptions of course.

-Ww

@Pansexual latina - An important secret to feeling comfortable in Japan as a foreigner is to realize that while Japanese people mostly very much appreciate any and all efforts you might make to "fit in" and "do it their way", even in tiny ways, they at the same time do not expect you to succeed nor do they hold it against you if you are acting weird or outrageous by their standards (and you almost certainly will be even if you don't realize it). In fact, they more-or-less expect you to do so. There are exceptions of course.

-Ww
even if they hold it against you they won't show it and will only express their disagreement behind your back.

In fact, they more-or-less expect you to do so. There are exceptions of course.

-Ww

... and in many cases are disappointed if you don't!

-Ww
I dont know about the last part of what you said. Ive heard more than my fair share of snarky comments to friends or under the breathe but in earshot of foreigner trashing as I like to call it. I was laughing with a friend and got on the lift and some smug looking guy with his girlfriend said in a annoyed voice 笑いすぎ. We werent even being loud

I dont know about the last part of what you said. Ive heard more than my fair share of snarky comments to friends or under the breathe but in earshot of foreigner trashing as I like to call it. I was laughing with a friend and got on the lift and some smug looking guy with his girlfriend said in a annoyed voice 笑いすぎ. We werent even being loud
you can hear many interesting things when you pretend you don't speak Japanese :D

I don't speak Japanese well enough, hardly at all, to understand such comments and have the impression that the OP is in the same boat, but I don't doubt that what you say is true.

-Ww

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I don't speak Japanese well enough, hardly at all, to understand such comments and have the impression that the OP is in the same boat, but I don't doubt that what you say is true.

-Ww
Yeah i am trying to learn the language. :3 but i am just beginning. I am going to assume that it will be hard for me to understand normal conversation speed in a timelt manner anyway even if i do get further in my language studies.

Reactions: Manny and Wwanderer