Maybe it's a Dolce thing?

BBallingSD

TAG Member
Reaction score
This is probably nothing mind blowing but something I was curious about Dolce.

Before going any further, I'll mention that I'm Chinese-American and speak fluent Japanese. Generally speaking, most people I talk to seem to assume I'm Japanese before I tell them I'm from the States. (or they're being real polite... or don't care. Could be that too) So I've been to Dolce on three separate occasions this year and I remember the first time I walked in the second thing the staff said to me (almost always it's the guy with glasses) was what country I was from. I answer I'm from the US and the standard operating procedure continues: 1) Narrow down the selection to gaijin OK girls, 2) Switch the price sheet etc. etc.

Now, I don't assume the staffer would remember me given the number of clients him or others would see in any given week but on each of my other visits I still get the same question about where I'm from. I'm curious if this is to be expected at other shops that they can just sniff out the gaijin in you or is it more because they have gotten such a large influx of foreign visitors, perhaps a ton from China, and it's just a reflex?

Again, not really trying to make a stink about it but was curious if this is what to expect at other shops or if anyone else has had this experience when visiting a shop multiple times? When I hit up Putit Royal for example, no questions were asked and honestly the only time something was said was when I asked the staffer if gaijin were okay or not. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

Pretty much a guarantee that you don't dress or carry yourself like a Japanese person. It's not hard to pick up on those things if you're used to it.

Even an European Korean guy who grew up in California like me can see the differences between Asian features like Chinese and Japanese before making a conversation, these mangers at dolce can see them much more. Part of their job is dealing with clients around the world.
Have a decent black color haircut and Dress like office workers from Roppongi and visit Soapland after work hour like evening or weekends, you will gain more chances at entry.
If you can speak Japanese without accent, book appointment on the phone. Save time and less headache

Pretty much a guarantee that you don't dress or carry yourself like a Japanese person. It's not hard to pick up on those things if you're used to it.

Yeah, I think you got me there, Sudsy. My general attire screams "Hi, I'm from California!" so that makes sense. Again, wasn't really a criticism and more a curiosity but I appreciate the honesty.

Not so much to "fool" Dolce but I am interested in Japanese fashion and have been more and more thinking to adopt some of it. Maybe do some clothing shopping next time I'm over there. Can't be wearing rando t-shirt of the week and jeans every day ahaha...

There are distinguishable differences between people from east Asian countries, mainly China, Japan and Korea, if you come into contact with enough people from those countries.

Personally speaking, I believe girls from those three countries are easier to distinguish than guys. You can tell from both their looks and makeup. ABCs also look different from native Chinese, so I think it's more of a cultural thing.

I'm Chinese, and most of time, Japanese won't realize I'm a foreigner until I start talking to them. But sometimes when I go to a Fuzoku shop, the doormen spot me the moment I enter.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
While going in a suit or business attire will probably help me to blend in more, I was thinking more Uniqlo ahaha...

Also, I wasn't sure if it was the same Kawano but the Kawano Shinjuku site grinds my browser to a halt. I know it's supposed to be upscale but I think they went overboard on all the stuff loading on the website.

While going in a suit or business attire will probably help me to blend in more, I was thinking more Uniqlo ahaha...

Also, I wasn't sure if it was the same Kawano but the Kawano Shinjuku site grinds my browser to a halt. I know it's supposed to be upscale but I think they went overboard on all the stuff loading on the website.
Oops, thats too bad. Yes, its that Kawano.

Call me a snob but i would not describe Uniqlo as “fashion”, lol.

I agree, it's not terribly hard to figure out who's Japanese and who's not. Even a white guy like me. When I was in the states, I could tell if someone was of japanese or chinese background just from facial features. Every know and again I'd get the odd korean who I could have sworn was japanese.

Have a tabloid paper (Yukan Fuji or Nikkan Gendai) in your hand when visiting the shop and say "Ohayougozaimasu" to greet to the staff whenever it is, which might make a difference.

I agree, it's not terribly hard to figure out who's Japanese and who's not. Even a white guy like me. When I was in the states, I could tell if someone was of japanese or chinese background just from facial features. Every know and again I'd get the odd korean who I could have sworn was japanese.
Thats funny. I can’t always tell Chinese and Japanese apart. Sometimes it’s obvious someone is Chinese, but because there are many different kinds of Chinese its not always that easy.

Koreans however have very distinguishing facial bones and also different eyes plus they are the tallest in general. Its usually most easy to pick out the Koreans for me. Recently i told a Japanese boy he looked Korean and he actually said he was half Korean.

I'm Asian and dress myself in all Uniqlo, nothing fancy. The guys at Dolce have never charged me the gaijin price so I think I've gotten past their Asian gaijin radar so far.

I believe people pick up on mannerisms more than anything else - how you walk, little things like how you handle shoes, etc. I've been in Japan long enough to emulate the locals well enough to blend in. In fact, I've had Chinese touts try to sell me stuff in Japanese while I was in China, even though I'm Chinese...

I'm Asian and dress myself in all Uniqlo, nothing fancy. The guys at Dolce have never charged me the gaijin price so I think I've gotten past their Asian gaijin radar so far.

I believe people pick up on mannerisms more than anything else - how you walk, little things like how you handle shoes, etc. I've been in Japan long enough to emulate the locals well enough to blend in. In fact, I've had Chinese touts try to sell me stuff in Japanese while I was in China, even though I'm Chinese...

Not discounting anything you said after, but I'm totally white and haven't had to pay the gaijin price at Dolce for some reason. Of course I still only get offered gaijin friendly girls

Call me a snob but i would not describe Uniqlo as “fashion”, lol.
You've offended my dresser full of graphic tees! :(

But yeah, I would say it's usually my clothes that gives away the fact that I'm a foreigner, ESPECIALLY when I visit during the summer. Comfort will always have precedence over style when I'm on vacation, with some exceptions of course (i.e. wedding).

Make reservation on the phone and don’t need to pay outsider tax.

I guess it's a Dolce thing? I made phone reservations on high end shops but still had to pay foreigner tax.

More like it's more of a certain person's tall tales.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Alice. :(
Aw don’t worry. I know uniqlo is very popular in Japan and also gaining market worldwide and its nice and comfortable but it the end its fast fashion and very basic.
Maybe try some other Japanese fashion streams like Harajuku fashion styles or men’s kimono :p

Reactions: BBallingSD
Aw don’t worry. I know uniqlo is very popular in Japan and also gaining market worldwide and its nice and comfortable but it the end its fast fashion and very basic.
So very true, and I'm totally ok with basic for the most part. I know I can dress far better if I tried, but I just hate clothes shopping and taking less than a minute to dress up.

Besides, far better looking basic and boring than something like this: