Guest viewing is limited

Michelin star restaurant or p4p?

Taguy

TAG Member
Reaction score
Tokyo being the city with the most Michelin stars, I was disappointed I didn’t try at least one but had 3 different types of p4p service. Anyone try a Michelin star restaurant in Japan? Is it worth it to try once over p4p?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
That's actually a tough question...I've eaten thee meals in Tokyo above 30,000 yen...all three were delicious...I don't regret going...but they were certainly overpriced...Kobe beef (twice) is delicious...was a $400 dinner multiple times better than the four amazing steak dinners I could have at that price at home? Probably not...Sushi was amazing...the Otoro was the best I've ever had...the opportunity to eat fish I've never even heard of, let along seen on a North American menu was really cool...

There really isn't a firm answer...it depends on your priorities...for me they were experiences worth having...but would I choose an amazing P4P over a mediocre 30,000 yen meal? Of course...would I choose a jaw dropping food experience over mediocre P4P? Course...

Yeah, that is a hard question to answer due to everyone's personal tastes, priorities, and expectations. I've been to a 3 Michelin starred kaiseki restaurant in Kyoto and it was an amazing experience. The decor and atmosphere of the place was fantastic and though the food was great, it wasn't life changing or anything. I mean, I almost had tears of joy when my brother treated me to my first "authentic" ramen at a ramen shop near his place, and I don't even think that bowl cost more than 1,000 yen. I would still highly recommend the place or any other Michelin starred restaurant though if you've never been to one, especially if we're speaking of a more higher end establishment. The food is going to be "good", but it's usually the overall experience of the meal that stands out.

As for P4P, the same mindset kind of applies as well I suppose. You can spend a fortune on a hot looking girl, pocket change for a quick release, and both of them comes with the risk of leaving you unsatisfied depending on the provider.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
As others have said, it totally depends on what you value. If eating at a Michelin star restaurant checks off an item on your Japan bucket list then by all means go for it. Like anything else, it's an experience.

I personally never daydream about any of the fine meals I've had though. I do however think frequently about the best P4P sessions I've had. So I guess for me I'd skip the restaurant in favor of going balls deep into a hot Japanese woman (or just about any hot woman for that matter).

One difference that might be important for some:
You can generally talk/brag about an expensive restaurant you've eaten at to anyone, even in polite company. You cannot do that with p4p. I personally have 0 people I talk about p4p with. This forum is as far as any of it goes for me. And as talking about an experience is part of what makes it enjoyable, it is a factor.
Having said that, I'm more likely to choose p4p unless I've already just had some fun in the last couple of days.

I personally never daydream about any of the fine meals I've had though. I do however think frequently about the best P4P sessions I've had.
Yes. Apart from a full stomach/empty balls, all you're really left with are just memories. Now when i'm an old man, which am i going to remember more?,...having sex with a gorgeous woman in my 20s..... or that plate of michelin star chicken rice in Singapore?

Many of those dishes i'd probably scoff down in a few seconds without much appreciation anyway.

Last edited:
Tokyo being the city with the most Michelin stars, I was disappointed I didn’t try at least one but had 3 different types of p4p service. Anyone try a Michelin star restaurant in Japan? Is it worth it to try once over p4p?

It is not important that you visited a Michelin starred restaurant......more important that you ate some local food and enjoyed it. A Michelin star (.....or two or three) doesn't guarantee that. A Michelin star can have a negative affect...for the restaurant, the owner and customers.

There are a few Michelin Star restaurants in Tokyo that are not that expensive, I've been to two Ramen shops "Nakiryu" in Otsuka (Pretty worth it, very delicious) and "Tsuta Ramen" in Sugamo (Resounding "eh" there's better)
Just like with P4P or anything in life there are places that you will go to that will be reasonable, or even cheap, that are just AMAZINGLY good, and there will be super pricy places that are just "eh" (or out and out bad, as I went to one place in Canada that was like super bougie and expensive and it was terrible, and one place in Japan that was also expensive as heck and it was "all right" at best, but considering the price that's a bit of a piss off)

So I mean I would say go for it, do both! Try a super expensive P4P and try a cheap one, try a super expensive star restaurant and then try a cheaper one too, check reviews and just try things that are really well rated. If you're doing it for the sake of the experience then you'll at least be trying something, if you're doing it looking for better than average food then ehhhhhh maybe not? There are better places without the fancy ratings.

I'm not sure a Michelin star in Tokyo is commensurate with quality in the same way it is in Europe. Michelin stars are awarded on a fairly specific set of criteria that emerged out of European norms associated with fine dining. I've had some amazing meals in British Michelin starred restaurants. But I don't think Michelin inspectors have as much of a clue when it comes to Japanese food. The Michelin starred restaurants I've eaten at over here don't seem that great to me; and there are hundreds, if not thousands of restaurants here that don't have Michelin stars that offer food and experiences that are way better than any Michelin restaurant I've eaten at anywhere.

So if I were you just head to saizerya and save your money for hookers.

Reactions: Ken1988 and Durg50
My husband is a foodie so I’ve experienced my fair share of Michelin starred restaurants. One of the most amazing meals I’ve ever had was at Jiro. So with that being said, if I had to choose between amazing food versus some good p4p experiences; it would be the latter hands down.

Regarding the OP’s question:

I’ve been to a few Michelin Star places in the past few years, but couldn’t remember a thing about what we ate.:unsure:

On the other hand, I can vividly remember several mind blowing sexual escapades (non-p4p though) from well over 20yrs ago because they are burned into my memory :love:

So even though I have not yet experienced Michelin Star Level p4p, I would still probably go for a good P4P session over the restaurant. :)

I always hate when I am made to choose. I want it all!

So I would do a p4p date in a Michelin star restaurant.

Will think about that for my next , once-every-3-year, platonic P4P date in a restaurant. Last time the restaurant was not good enough.

Reactions: MikeH
would I choose an amazing P4P over a mediocre 30,000 yen meal? Of course...would I choose a jaw dropping food experience over mediocre P4P? Course...

To be fair, with 30.000 yen, you can eat at some of the bests restaurants in Tokyo, but you can only access the cheap soaplands.

Reactions: Frenchy
To be fair, with 30.000 yen, you can eat at some of the bests restaurants in Tokyo, but you can only access the cheap soaplands.
And that’s unfair!
Seriously, preparing and serving a great meal takes way much work and expertise

Regarding the OP’s question:

I’ve been to a few Michelin Star places in the past few years, but couldn’t remember a thing about what we ate.:unsure:

On the other hand, I can vividly remember several mind blowing sexual escapades (non-p4p though) from well over 20yrs ago because they are burned into my memory :love:

I agree with @AMcguyver about how memories of liaisons with special ladies, in general, are cherished above any fancy meal.

But in my recent P4P adventures in Japan, the combination of ecstatic sex and fine dining have given me truly life-altering, turn-back-the-clock, Rocky-type “eye of the tiger” moments. I love it.

Those memories ... can’t take that away from me.

Reactions: Ken1988
I have yet to try a Michelin star restaurant. But I’d give up one soapland session for a meal at Jiro’s. But if I had to choose between a trip with a Michelin star restaurant and no p4p vs a trip with p4p and no Michelin star restaurant, p4p only trip wins.

You can generally talk/brag about an expensive restaurant you've eaten at to anyone, even in polite company. You cannot do that with p4p. I personally have 0 people I talk about p4p with.
The most you can brag about with p4p is if you had a non-mosaic diary pic of the girl and showed your friend and was all “I did her.” But then details of said event if told would have to be altered. Lol.