Guest viewing is limited

Minister Kono's press conference on the start of vaccination in Japan

Joe2017

Lost in translations
Reaction score
Slowly and it will take a year, but it seems that the machinery has already started and today vaccination begins in Japan. Minister Kono gave a press conference yesterday in English.
The delivery will be as follows
1. Doctors and nurses
2. People >65 years
3. People with diabetes and risk chronic diseases
Kono said the Olympics are not a priority.
Taking into account the parsimony of the plan, I hope to be vaccinated before Christmas.:(
Can watch the video here:

With that pace the effect of the vaccination for the first people wears down way before the last people are getting their shots. :D

With that pace the effect of the vaccination for the first people wears down way before the last people are getting their shots. :D
And the virus will mutate several times.

Reactions: MikeH
My other half was telling me that thanks to Trump and now Biden leaning on Pfizer and Moderna for more vaccine stock (Biden says he's secured an additional 200-million for this year) the amount going to Japan has been significantly reduced. The Japanese government may have to cozy up and relinquish an island or two to the Chinese for some of that Sino-whatever bullshit vaccine that the CCP claims is working.

As far as timeline, my guess is you folks are in for the long haul. Based on what's been happening in American cities, where we likely have far easier access and greater supply than Japan will for the rest of the year, Group #1 and #2 (some states are still doing 75+, rather than 65+) has taken almost three months so far and only halfway finished. Most states are hoping to transition to the next phase--over here that's 65+ and 16-64 high risk--by March or April, and that's expected to last probably well into summer. Biden's rosy projections were "VACCINES FOR EVERYONE BY MARCH!!" before a staffer had to yank his mic and issue a correction statement, saying that general access in America will probably come around June or July.

Take from that projection what you will as you apply that to Japan. I would venture a guess that it means general access in Japan probably won't be coming until close to 2022 or even past that, but from what I recall that's been the projection internationally from the beginning. I just hope after Americans are done gorging themselves on all the precious vaccine we're hoarding for ourselves, we share it first with our friends (Japan) rather than countries generally trying to exploit our generosity.

I do have selfish reasons, of course. I want Japan safe and visitable by November/December so I can enjoy my genitals being fondled in Tokyo.

And the virus will mutate several times.

That's no joke. We haven't even wrapped up Phase I and there are already six or seven variants floating around stateside. It was to be expected, however, so Pfizer/Moderna are scrambling to tweak the vaccines or at least test the existing ones for efficacy with the known variants. It's probably a safe assumption that Americans and eventually the rest of the planet will be expected to get follow-up mRNA boosters at least twice a year for the foreseeable future, and probably an annual adenovirus shot (J&J) every year along with the standard flu shot for the rest of their lives.

Isn't it wonderful, having Chinese on this planet?

Reactions: Joe2017
Finally something I can agree with.......Actually, Chinese are fine. CCP is another story.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
It's probably a safe assumption that Americans and eventually the rest of the planet will be expected to get follow-up mRNA boosters at least twice a year for the foreseeable future, and probably an annual adenovirus shot (J&J) every year along with the standard flu shot for the rest of their lives.
That scenario is highly probable. Hopefully my shares in BioNTech continue to rise to pay for good health insurance.

Reactions: Keihan
Finally something I can agree with.......Actually, Chinese are fine. CCP is another story.

Don't agree with me just yet. I'm only on my fourth drink and should've been more focused.

Chinese Americans: GOOD (most of my friends and half my relatives).

Chinese Nationals: QUESTIONABLE, but necessary for business, pleasure and likely how I'm going to pay the down payment on a home in the suburbs.

CCP: MISSED OPPORTUNITY. Should've let Imperial Japan exterminate them 90 years ago.

I found it absolutely adorable how the WHO is now parroting the CCP's bullshit about how COVID came from some random animal, rather than the Wuhan laboratory. Great to know Slow Joe has restarted our relationship and, even better, funding of the WHO and enabling that shitbag CCP puppet Ghebreyesus.

That whistle-blower chick from the Wuhan lab was pretty hot, though.

Well before the pandemic the Chinese girls in tourist visas were a very reliable source for cost effective release in Tokyo so there is that to consider.

Reactions: SugoiBoy and Keihan
Well before the pandemic the Chinese girls in tourist visas were a very reliable source for cost effective release in Tokyo so there is that to consider.

That's one of their only redeeming qualities, as far as I'm concerned. Even though I usually end up "releasing" with their 55-year-olds.

But the sad part is, I really do relate to Chinese more closely than I do Japanese, at least as far as business goes. I appreciate their ruthless, shameless, cut-throat, mercenary style of doing business. I can't stand doing business with Japanese, with their silly formalities and indirect, two-faced nuanced bullshit, even though that's the stunted culture I was raised in. Plus, the Chinese have all the money these days. I'm working on a real estate deal with some Chinese investors now. Always walk into meetings with one finger over my asshole. But even if things fall through and I get fucked over, I'll have seen the ass-fucking coming from a mile away and the Chinese have the decency to stop by your office, drink your free office coffee, steal your free company office stationary and shake your hand after reaming your asshole, ruining your dreams and then waltzing out the door and back into the free charter vehicles you paid for so they have enough time to raid the airport premier lounge and pour all the complimentary red and white wine into their Hydroflasks and shove all the free crackers and mixed nuts packs into their carry-on bags before boarding the Business Class seats you also paid for. You really have to respect the balls.

Reactions: shadowboxer
I've been considering doing a quick trip to the US to get a shot ... then it's party time in Japan before the trains and bars fill up again ... :-D

Not bad idea... maybe to Hawaii :)

I was thinking Cali, but Hawaii is an even better idea!
The only wrinkle is that 2 shots are necessary, but Hawaii is close enough to make 2 trips not that bad of an option.
Or a nice 2 week long vacation and get both shots :-D

The only wrinkle is that 2 shots are necessary, but Hawaii is close enough to make 2 trips not that bad of an option.
Flights are cheap! Perfect long weekend taking a girl friend or a SB :D

I've been considering doing a quick trip to the US to get a shot ... then it's party time in Japan before the trains and bars fill up again ... :-D

Even in the US, I was told my turn will be sometime in summer. It's not so fast actually.

Even in the US, I was told my turn will be sometime in summer. It's not so fast actually.
9E8ADDE4-DDE3-414A-8BCB-B7428DE4CFE6.gif

I wouldn't bother booking your ticket. There was major backlash in Hawaii after it was found that mainland snowbirds who own luxury condos in Hawaii and live most of the year elsewhere were flying into HNL to try and get shots, and now the Governor and Lt. Governor have put in place strict guidelines to ensure that only Hawaii residents are getting the shots allocated to Hawaii. You'll need proper Hawaii State ID just to check in at any of the vaccination sites. It'd be near impossible right now just as an out-of-stater, much less someone who isn't even a U.S. resident.

And in any event, the state is still in Phase 1B, meaning 75+ or essential frontline workers whose names have been vetted and submitted to the state Health Department in advance. I'm assuming you don't fall into either of those categories.

Should also add that you're required to have a pre-flight negative COVID test from a certified partner agency in Japan 72 hours prior to boarding, or upon landing you'll be 1) placed in quarantine, 2) arrested if you try to leave that place of quarantine and 3) sent back to wherever you came from if you can't certify a place of quarantine.

You're better off trying to go back to your last stateside hometown, assuming you still have a valid ID, and try to game the system on familiar turf.

Reactions: Joe2017

Unfortunately for most of us, that's true no matter where you are stateside. If you're young (meaning under 60), don't have any dire medical conditions that categorize you as high risk, don't live in a household with high-risk family members and don't work an in industry deemed essential, you're looking at June/July at the earliest. Japan is probably far past that.

In my case, I'm actually the head of a division that MIGHT be, technically, categorized as "essential" during the next phase of the vaccination schedule. Therefore, I'm basically going to draft a formal letter to our state health department designating myself and all of my employees (and possibly passable friend and relatives) as meeting the guidelines for vaccination and see if it pans out. But shit is very tight and strict now across the board. Even with my political connections I've been on the unofficial waiting list for spare vaccinations with our state health department for a month but nothing has come of it. Even with friends, vaccinations are hard to come by. I just want my family vaccinated. If I can tag along then that's icing on the cake. Hoping March brings better news.

Reactions: Ken1988
Unfortunately for most of us, that's true no matter where you are stateside. If you're young (meaning under 60), don't have any dire medical conditions that categorize you as high risk, don't live in a household with high-risk family members and don't work an in industry deemed essential, you're looking at June/July at the earliest. Japan is probably far past that.

In my case, I'm actually the head of a division that MIGHT be, technically, categorized as "essential" during the next phase of the vaccination schedule. Therefore, I'm basically going to draft a formal letter to our state health department designating myself and all of my employees (and possibly passable friend and relatives) as meeting the guidelines for vaccination and see if it pans out. But shit is very tight and strict now across the board. Even with my political connections I've been on the unofficial waiting list for spare vaccinations with our state health department for a month but nothing has come of it. Even with friends, vaccinations are hard to come by. I just want my family vaccinated. If I can tag along then that's icing on the cake. Hoping March brings better news.

In my state, a report says more than half of residents are eligible for vaccination by now. If you are young and healthy, all you have to be is being an essential worker, which means you have no privilege of WFH. I think it's fair. I can't complain.

Reactions: Keihan
You're better off trying to go back to your last stateside hometown, assuming you still have a valid ID, and try to game the system on familiar turf.

Bummer about Hawaii, but yeah I still have my Cali DL, so that might be my best shot at getting the vaccine earlier.
I do have a condition that could qualify me for a bit earlier priority.
My friend, who already got the shot due to a vulnerable family member, told me they apparently don't ask for any proof.

Bummer about Hawaii, but yeah I still have my Cali DL, so that might be my best shot at getting the vaccine earlier.
I do have a condition that could qualify me for a bit earlier priority.
My friend, who already got the shot due to a vulnerable family member, told me they apparently don't ask for any proof.

Yeah, I think in states like CA which are basically on fire with infections, state and local governments are playing it loose and fast just trying to vaccinate as many as possible and quickly as possible. It might be worthwhile going home for a bit and trying your luck for a few weeks. In Hawaii, where the statewide new infection rate is hovering around double-digits a day and around 1.8%, they have the luxury of being a bit more careful and measured with how they approach distribution.

I do think things are going to loosen up even further as J&J is set for approval next week and that's probably going to dump tens of millions of doses on the country almost instantly. I do have to give the Biden Admin credit, they're certainly bent on out-doing and un-doing the inefficient Trump model of vaccine distribution. Not that I think Joe even knows what's going on, but his people are doing a pretty good job for now.

It sounds like most state governments are planning to use 3/1 as a symbolic "next step" date for opening up vaccine eligibility tiers so I'm crossing my fingers and getting ready to try my best at gaming the system.