mobile phones - Aussie phone in Japan?

tourist

TAG Member
Reaction score
My Telstra (Australia) Smart phone (android) handles WDCMA, 2G and 3G. I only have a prepaid plan and would only use the phone for texting back home - $0.65Aust per text according to Telstra site.

Does anybody know from experience if I'd be able to use/have problems using my phone in Japan ( major cities only).?

Thanks

If there's no service from that provider/plan in Japan, and the phone isn't unlocked, it's not going to work in Japan.

Check this page:

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming/pricing-compatibility/

According to your information, you can use 3G with the associated costs that are shown on that page. You can also check your specific device's compatibility from that page.

telstra_roaming_japan.png

thanks Chris - missed that page - still not sure re my handset - ita a ZTE 22 marketed by Telstra as an "Urbane".

Will have to (try) to get an answer from them

Found that phone will work in Japan - once it is unlocked from Telstra - probably cheaper to get a low-cost unlocked phone. Found info on TravelSim site www.travelsim.net.au where they list handsets known to work in listed countries.