Guest viewing is limited

money exchange

dababa

TAG Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to change money i.e. best rates / lowest fees? I know the airport is not always the best place to do it can any help? I' m staying near Tokyo station

Reactions: Jimmydr
There are numerous places to get money exchanged in Japan. You can use Travelex, the postal savings if you just want to pull the funds directly from your account. Citibank is pretty good. I think you just have to check the rates and check each individual company. Certainly, I have seen other places, but I never used them and I did not really think they were for foreigners. These places usually have employees that can speak English.

Here are some links:
http://www.travelex.jp/
http://www.citibank.co.jp/en/index.html

There used to be a money exchange center with decent rates at the Yaesu underground shopping center. They have since renovated and I'm not sure if it is still there. That's on the Nihonbashi side of Tokyo station, through the Tokyo Station City area.

If you have cash to exchange, I think you can also go to the major banking outlets, language will be limited of course.

Otherwise, you can also use the post office ATMs as well to withdraw money from your home bank account. (exchange rate is based on your bank in this case)

Skinny James's links are just as good as anywhere else. It's been a long time since I've exchanged other currency for yen. I usually use my home bank, SMBC, to obtain currency for other countries I visit.

Glad I don't play the FOREX market. I'd be living in a box down by the river... :p

~K~

That is certainly right. At the same time, there is one money exchange place at Narita Airport that has a pretty good rate too. At least that is what my Japanese friends tell me anyways. This one would be really close to the check-in area if nothing has changed.

Skinny James's links are just as good as anywhere else. It's been a long time since I've exchanged other currency for yen. I usually use my home bank, SMBC, to obtain currency for other countries I visit.

Glad I don't play the FOREX market. I'd be living in a box down by the river... :p

~K~

Sounds better if you say "in a van, down by the river..."

This is Japan, so box probably fits better. :p:D:D

Here's a link to the currency exchange rates available at Narita:

http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/index.html

I will be arriving on Friday. I always change money at Narita. The rates are better than i can get trying to exchange it in America. You get a slightly better rate if you're exchanging travelers checks.

I have a bank account with First Republic Bank in the States that doesn't charge ATM charges worldwide, and that's what I use for Dollar to Yen conversion. I think I may come out a percent or two behind, but for long term stays its more convenient.

Note that you can withdraw money with a US ATM card at most Japanese Post Offices during business hours, and a large number of 7-11s (the ones that have a 'banking center') as well.