My friend noticed the exact microaggressions I have posted about on here

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
You will notice that my title isn't a question but a statement. So after meeting up with my friend in Tokyo, I mentioned about some microaggressions he might notice like the fake cough, fake cough attack, teeth sucking, spitting on the ground nearby foreigners (usually an older businessman type thing). etc.

I didn't tell him to actively look for these things but that we will just enjoy the trip and that we will notice it when it does inevitably happen since we were walking around the area around certain areas of Tokyo all day.

While we were walking, we noticed the fake coughing thing at least 3 different times. My friend actually noticed that a Japanese man walking in the opposite direction of us, actually made eye contact with him and AFTER that started raising his hand up to his mouth to cover up a cough...but the thing is he held his hand up to cover his mouth super early and didn't actually cough until he was next to my friend passing by.

I don't know about you guys, but when I hold up my hand to cough it is a fast motion. I feel a cough coming and I quickly reach my hand up to cover the cough within a split second, but this Japanese guy was walking for at least 2 seconds holding his hand over his mouth but suddenly coughed loudly right next to my friend. I noticed this too, but my friend noticed that he didn't wind up his fake cough for him until after he noticed us foreigners walking toward him.

We didn't get angry or say anything to him. We actually both just laughed when it happened because it was so obviously timed for us. I don't let it bother me when it happens when I'm outside walking alone in Japan as well. I just like to share these experiences because a lot of people repeatedly refuse that these things happen.

Another potential microaggression that had me and my friend busting up at a Sukiya in Tokyo:

sukiya.jpg

It could easily be a coincidence that of all the parts of the wall to have a tear going on...it is right in the face of the Caucasian gentleman in the nice suit. Looking closely at his eyes, there is a good chance that he could be a Japanese man wearing western style clothes, but if someone did rip part of his face off, that would mean he is anti-foreign culture in general. It looks like the man with the mustache and the other man with the boots and cane are Japanese. The Japanese people wearing the Japanese style clothing and the Chinese man wearing the Chinese style clothing look totally fine.

Yes, this isn't something I'm calling 100% intentional, but just thought it would funny to share it on here. My friend and I were busting up about it.

Are you f %#*ing kidding me ?!?!?! o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bitching about a bloody wall now?

What’s the point? Why does it matter what people are or are not doing?

It just does not affect my life, ever. I just don’t why others waste energy on this...

Obviously it’s a source of sexual pleasure for him to keep looking for stuff like this. ;):ROFLMAO:

What’s the point? Why does it matter what people are or are not doing?

It just does not affect my life, ever. I just don’t why others waste energy on this...

Ok, so merely noticing that these things happen and making a post about it isn't "wasting energy". Unlike you, I have no problem with noticing and reporting on reality.

Are you f %#*ing kidding me ?!?!?! o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bitching about a bloody wall now?

Obviously it’s a source of sexual pleasure for him to keep looking for stuff like this. ;):ROFLMAO:

How is pointing out about the wall bitching? I clearly mentioned in my post that my friend and I were laughing about the wall because it is hilarious.

The weird sexual stuff you are trying to tie into this is just something projecting from within you.

As long as they are not keeping you away from making money or harming you forget them. Some people will not like certain people.

Well, at least you aren't pretending that this is just "all in my head" like people love to do on here. I want to mention to you that merely mentioning the existence of these things on here isn't me wasting energy as others always mention. Yes, I used to get mad about these things years ago when I was still new here and Solong first created a post on the topic.

In fact, when a second Japanese guy did the weird fake cough at my friend and I the second time, I coughed back and we just laughed. It is just a part of life for a foreigner here in Japan, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Or hey, even creating it! :D

Nope, my friend noticed the microaggressions too, so it isn't just in my head. It isn't just in our heads, etc. There are at least a half a dozen foreigners I know that 100% agree with me on this subject being a legit thing and have personally experienced these things countless times living here in Japan.

Reactions: Fifty Fifty
You look at the wall and see one face scratched out and assume that it is a Caucasian. Has it ever occurred to you that ALL the people in that picture might be Japanese and that it’s just a random scratch?

Reactions: Tabanico
Ok, so merely noticing that these things happen and making a post about it isn't "wasting energy". Unlike you, I have no problem with noticing and reporting on reality.
But you’re wasting time and energy on things that don’t really have any impact on your life. True or not. I don’t care or or have time to notice trivial people. I will only care if you start screwing with my businesses and causing me extra expense or grief for whatever reason.

But you’re wasting time and energy on things that don’t really have any impact on your life. True or not. I don’t care or or have time to notice trivial people.
(y)
Exactly. And life is just too damn short to waste on things like that.

Dude I think based on your other post as well you might be little hyper sensitive to your surroundings and taking your perception as fact, sure some people might agree with you but that shouldn’t elevate the value of trivial things. I might cough or whatever because I feel awkward that I’ve been caught unintentionally staring at someone, it’s not that deep usually and even if it is don’t fret. People are much nicer than you might think.

Dude I think based on your other post as well you might be little hyper sensitive to your surroundings and taking your perception as fact, sure some people might agree with you but that shouldn’t elevate the value of trivial things. I might cough or whatever because I feel awkward that I’ve been caught unintentionally staring at someone, it’s not that deep usually and even if it is don’t fret. People are much nicer than you might think.

Some people are also meaner and more evil than you can imagine. And no, I'm not referring to myself or others on this forum.

Last edited:
You look at the wall and see one face scratched out and assume that it is a Caucasian. Has it ever occurred to you that ALL the people in that picture might be Japanese and that it’s just a random scratch?

If it didn't occur to me AT ALL, then I probably wouldn't have referred to it as a potential microaggression and I wouldn't have started explaining about the wall like this: It could easily be a coincidence that of all the parts of the wall to have a tear going on...

I guess you didn't really read well or you were just assuming the worst from me.

People are strange being said by Jim Morrison...who was one of the strangest people in history is funny to me. I'm not saying his music was bad. I used to listen to his music often when I was younger.

I have to definitely agree with TJB on the coughing since he brought it up to me two years ago. It's often from older males and rarely from young children. Previously, I had never noticed it, and the frequency of the coughing seems consistent throughout the year. And you will never hear the coughing when you go out to Shibuya Halloween where tons of foreigners are outside mixed in with Japanese (I don't know, maybe that's just the alcohol suppressing it there), nor in western hotels like Hilton, Hyatt, and Intercontinental. It does indeed seem deliberate in almost all cases. I recently (after 2 years of knowing this), asked my wife who looks Japanese to see if she notices it but she says she still hasn't.

Last edited:
It has to be fun to live in that head of yours!

Yes, I realize this is some sort of you are a paranoid guy but with fun and amusing thoughts jab.

There is also a difference between paranoia and high pattern recognition. I have high pattern recognition, but not paranoia.

I never think thoughts like random people are following me on the streets when I'm outside to find out where I live or kill me, spy on me, etc.

I just notice patterns in human behavior when I'm around other people in public...patterns that people don't see or deny that they see.

Last edited:
Guys, ‘microaggressions’??? Seriously? I come on here to get away from that bullshit.

Just because some permanently offended SJWs use that term, it doesnt mean it needs to be used by balanced people that have live outside academia or government.

Im sure there are some racist old guys out there TJB, please either ignore them or confront them. Dont bitch about it with your freinds or whine on message boards.

Now please go drink a beer, eat some meat and get laid. Any order is acceptable.