Guest viewing is limited

Natto...

SashaSin

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys I hope that everyone has had a productive and inspiring New Year so far!

It was pretty warm yesterday so I figured I would enjoy my breakfast outdoors and my neighbor who happens to be an 85 year old obachan told me that I should be eating natto everyday for breakfast. She said that it is very beneficial for the skin and really great for your gastrointestinal system. She's a very gorgeous woman so i did not hesitate to head to Lawson's to buy a shit ton of natto and try a natto roll lol. With hesitation I tried it and I actually found it to be pretty good. I enjoy okra so the consistency did not bother me at all. Just want to know you guys's input on natto. Do you like it?

Last edited:
I remember my first run in with natto... more than 20 years ago. No way I was going to eat something that smelled like toe jam. Fast forward to about 5 years ago... when I discovered black bean natto. No stink! Great stuff! I don't eat it as often as I should. Supposed to be great for cleaning your blood.

Reactions: SashaSin
I remember my first run in with natto... more than 20 years ago. No way I was going to eat something that smelled like toe jam. Fast forward to about 5 years ago... when I discovered black bean natto. No stink! Great stuff! I don't eat it as often as I should. Supposed to be great for cleaning your blood.
Sagoi! Where do I find black bean natto?

Sorry, it looks like rabbit turds in snot. That's not going in my mouth. Hell, I don't even want to step in that

なっとミー。.

Reactions: Yuriko and SashaSin
I can’t eat it as it is... I have to mix in soy sauce, half boiled egg, mustard and wrap everything into seaweed to kill that awful smell and taste.
My friend says it’s cheating :ROFLMAO:

I can’t eat it as it is... I have to mix in soy sauce, half boiled egg, mustard and wrap everything into seaweed to kill that awful smell and taste.
:ROFLMAO:

If you have to do that then what's the point?

They always say "it's good for you". If it was the only thing that was good for you I would buy that. It isn't .

LOL, one of the first questions I was asked when I first came to Japan was...

"Do you like natto?"

And my affirmative answer always surprised and delighted those inquiring minds. I like it best with hot mustard.

Yes, it has a multitude of health benefits, for the skin, for the heart, for the gut, and for bones-maybe even boners.:D Anyone up for a little research?

The New York Times featured natto in an article in 2016:

Natto may also be good for bone health, said Dr. Dennis Goodman, a clinical professor of medicine and director of integrative medicine at New York University. He cited a study that showed that in eastern Japan, where they eat more natto than in western parts of the country but otherwise have similar diets, there are significantly lower levels of osteoporosis. Dr. Goodman attributes this to natto’s high levels of vitamin K2, a form of vitamin K, which he said works like a theater usher by directing calcium to the bones.

“Most people are not getting nearly enough K2 in their diet,” said Dr. Goodman, who has written a book about the vitamin. “The only food that gives you a sufficient amount is natto.” Dr. Yonetani says that a single heaping tablespoon of natto contains approximately 300 micrograms of K2, about seven times the minimum daily requirement.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/are-you-ready-to-eat-your-natto/

Reactions: SashaSin
My friend says it’s cheating :ROFLMAO:

I used to have the smell and taste diluted with soy sauce, stirred raw egg, bonito flakes and spring onions...but, yes, mustard and seaweed are good idea!

I think it's usually eaten with rice - just like Marmite must be on toast.

Sagoi! Where do I find black bean natto?

Not from Sagoi, they are a construction company.

Soybeans are one of the most commonly genetically modified foods in the world so they certainly are not organic, environmental healthy or ecological. Anyone taking the environment, our children's future or the global warning seriously will avoid eating soybeans and natto altogether.

Also it smells like shit.

And in case I forgot to mention, it tastes like you would expect rabbit turds in snot would taste.

And in case I forgot to mention, it tastes like you would expect rabbit turds in snot would taste.

You have quite a vivid imagination.:rolleyes:

I'm trying to eat healthy and there you go with such an appetizing description.

By the way, and almost off topic, since there is room for comparison...

What do you think of sushi?:spitoutdummy:

I was traumatized in my youth so stay away even though my wife and kids love the stuff.

I grew up in the states but my grandma is Japanese. She would visit in the summer. For some reason she would keep Natto in yogurt containers. So when I would come home from school looking for a snack I would see yogurt in the fridge expecting a nice strawberry yogurt. Open up the container and there is some nasty smelling slimy beans in the container. Never touch the stuff since.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
b
By the way, and almost off topic, since there is room for comparison...

What do you think of sushi?:spitoutdummy:

Sushi is like tke cleanest, most beautiful pussy I've ever eaten. I almost wonder why straight women like it.

So, can you pretend that Natto doesn't look like rabbit turds in snot ?

Reactions: MikeH
I've eaten a little sushi, and never liked any of it.

Never talk to me anymore.

10b59k.jpg

Reactions: DocMcStuffins
I love it. As for the smell... well I come from the country that invented Epoisses cheese and I love it even more so here you go...
(Warning: high probability to get posts about those damn stinky frogs after this one! :))

Reactions: Muku1 and Ken1988
I'm a rarity in that I'm totally indifferent to it. I would never buy it, but if someone puts it in front of me, I'll eat it without hesitation.

It doesn't revolt me, but it's not all that appealing either.

Surprised that Sasha's neighbour eats it though, West Japan is where the majority of people despise the stuff. Natto is very much an East Japan thing... there's a restaurant in Tokyo that has 8 varieties on the menu, Sendaiya if I remember....

I'm a rarity in that I'm totally indifferent to it. I would never buy it, but if someone puts it in front of me, I'll eat it without hesitation.

I don't know if that is so rare actually. I have never bought that stuff for myself but I eat it with no problems when needed.

Then again that's same pretty much for any food in Japan; there is nothing I would not eat if someone offers it to me; at least if it's properly made. Sea urchin in a cheap sushi shop I would happily skip.

I first had it as natto tempura, where it was wrapped up in nori and then deep fried. It had a very nice nutty taste and so I took the plunge and have not regretted it. The only thing is that I love it with a dark soy sauce and karashi, and here in Kyushu, they use this light soy sauce and I usually have to bring my own mustard.

People call me crazy because I'm very finicky with what I eat. I don't each sushi, any raw seafood, ketchup, mustard, etc. But I love natto, grew up eating the stuff.

Not sure what all the fuss is about natto. I don't mind it. The only things I find disgusting are many of those weird animal products the Chinese like to call food.

But I prefer to eat whats in Sasha's avatar. Looks like chocolate to me.