Need to speak Japanese for Love Hotel??

rjfjapan

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I am new to Japan and just about everything in general. One thing I did not know was that you need to speak Japanese to get a room at a Love Hotel? I did not see anything about that in any of the posts I read. I read some posts and went to some of the suggestions on TAG. Every single one either told me no up front when rooms were clearly available on the touch screen or the three times they did not get to me before I selected a room I was told no speak Japanese no room twice. The third time was told that I could not rent a room unless the woman was with me (I was trying too get the room out of the way before the lady showed up). Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Yes, if you don't speak Japanese some hotels can treat you like that.
I'm pretty sure Pasha and all the JHT group hotels and the Bali An chain are very helpful and foreign friendly, but they are the priciest.

Been there and done that.. At XO, I selected to room and paid in the room, with no conversation with the front desk. The machine was in all Japanese, but I think you could get the provider to help you out.

Been there and done that.. At XO, I selected to room and paid in the room, with no conversation with the front desk. The machine was in all Japanese, but I think you could get the provider to help you out.
I had the staff there come out on a few occasions and ask if i speak Japanese. (Especially in the XO in the center of kabukicho, cant recall it happened in the other.) But this is one of the places i use most and it usually doesn't happen, only a few times (and in my case its not a problem since i'll tell him i speak Japanese and i know how the machine works).

Reactions: ur19877
Especially in the XO in the center of kabukicho

I had one negative experience at Hotel XO Kabukicho, not XO Shinjuku. The room we got had nasty cigarette smell so I called the reception and asked them to bring room spray.
When we checked out, the receptionist came out from the booth and asked me "I am afraid that you have an item that we have rent you, don't you?"
I didn't know that I had to bring it back to the reception when leaving. They never told me when I got it but her way of saying is as if I was trying to steal it. Why do I have to steal a half used room spray from a love hotel?

I had one negative experience at Hotel XO Kabukicho, not XO Shinjuku. The room we got had nasty cigarette smell so I called the reception and asked them to bring room spray.
When we checked out, the receptionist came out from the booth and asked me "I am afraid that you have an item that we have rent you, don't you?"
I didn't know that I had to bring it back to the reception when leaving. They never told me when I got it but her way of saying is as if I was trying to steal it. Why do I have to steal a half used room spray from a love hotel?
that's lame

Actually, I open the window, so that I could refresh smoky bad air better, when I smell horrible smoke when we enter a room. Some hotels can't open the window, which is disappointing, but mostly yes and works better and refreshing air last, after all. So, I no longer ask for air refresher, anymore. I didn't know you had to return requested item and never did. They should quietly collect by cleaning the room, though!

Last edited:
So I am new to Japan and just about everything in general. One thing I did not know was that you need to speak Japanese to get a room at a Love Hotel? I did not see anything about that in any of the posts I read. I read some posts and went to some of the suggestions on TAG. Every single one either told me no up front when rooms were clearly available on the touch screen or the three times they did not get to me before I selected a room I was told no speak Japanese no room twice. The third time was told that I could not rent a room unless the woman was with me (I was trying too get the room out of the way before the lady showed up). Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

I saw once an Euro lady works for EXE in Okachimachi. Hope some english spoken ladies work more in the LH industry! Being a Japanese, some hotels in Shibuya was pretty nasty and strict rules,,didn't let me or my client stay fully, after my session was done, Either of us got kicked out, I got scolded emotionally at the reception, "I said you have to leave together when the session is done, you can't stay either one in the room!!!, which she didn't mention that when we checked in, (I never went back there and forgot which cheap hotel that was!!!) compared to some other provider seem could stay without any issues! I think either of two can stay fully at XO. And I forgot how to get there, so I don't use there anymore...

Here are my two stories from last night regarding love hotels and how Japanese and planning helps.
1. Went to Shibuya garden and made an appointment, 3 some.... after settling the bill, I said Hotel Onyx, as it was next door... they were booked. For good or bad, I remember Hotel Diamond so I said I would choose that hotel. The agency called and booked the room, showed me where it was and I was off... I got lost ... badly. I was roaming the streets of endless love hotels and could not find it. My phone,s internet service was really slow and I kept roaming. 10 to 15 min later, I found it. As I paid, I saw the two girls waiting...and sitting... my lesson here, know where the love hotel before u commit to it. Japanese would have helped

2. Second and more interesting story, 2am in Kabukicho and needed to 'eat' again... went to trusty XO and got the ticket and went to the room.. called Shibuya Garden and setup and appointment. I told them I was in Hotel O...I guess Hotel X and Hotel O are together but different?? Tried to explain in simple English that my Hotel was Hotel O as part of XO. They said OK. 45 min later,no girl and I called.. they could not find it and asked for a phone number. I could not find neither the address or phone number in all the room! Not on sign, phone, not in the menu book...Tried to call them from the rooom phone but it did not go through! I decided to go downstairs and ask for the phone number but the room was locked!! I guess I had to pay for the room.. I packed my things, and paid for the room, just in case and my time was expiring ... but the payment machine was not that easy to use as I thought it would be... I fumbled my way through finally..and left..ended up at La Festae where the lady was super friendly. I did get the phone number as I checked in. Learned that lesson... finally started playing at 4am...the agency was super friendly and patient....

This story brings to light why some agencies and love hotels don't want to deal with foreigners at all. For those that do, I salute you!

Last night in Tokyo and at segafredo typing this and oggling over the women here while smoking and enjoying the view... what is better than that? Actually the 3some I had last night, but this is close.

Been to a LH in Shibuya (can't remember the name). When you enter the hotel there is a wall with multiple pictures of rooms and a number under it. There is a console under the wall of pictures with the available rooms lighted. You push the button for the selected room and then you push another button for either STAY (if you spend the night) or REST (if you are staying for a few hours). There is also a cancel button. So before going to the LH try to search on the internet the two characters used. Once you select the REST button a card key is printed and pops out of a slot. You then go to the room with your key. When you arrive to your door the room number light blinks showing that you are at the right room. No japanese was needed. You generally meet no one in the corridors, but the LH staff surely watches you via cameras and they know when someone arrives in your room. Twice when the lady arrived the phone rang and she answered. She also took care of the payment in the room as it is all in japanese. Once the LH asked on the phone for a higher rate as there were two ladies in the room ...

Hi All - New to TAG and have been reading up as much as I can (i'm in Tokyo for a week). Question on Hotel XO (East-most one), I was checking it out earlier and couldn't figure out the room machine with my limited Japanese. Do you pay "before" or "after" you're done? Also, If the room locks, does that mean I need to make sure the girl is with me before entering?

Tried the search but couldn't find specific answers (gomen)!

Once I could not send my room number by text message as there was no cellular coverage in my room (lower floor). So I got out of the room to get coverage and send the text message.
The door locked but I was able to come back a few minutes later after successfully sending the message and I did reopen the door with the card ... luckily !

Hi All - New to TAG and have been reading up as much as I can (i'm in Tokyo for a week). Question on Hotel XO (East-most one), I was checking it out earlier and couldn't figure out the room machine with my limited Japanese. Do you pay "before" or "after" you're done? Also, If the room locks, does that mean I need to make sure the girl is with me before entering?

Tried the search but couldn't find specific answers (gomen)!

You pay when you leave.Beware your check-out time,if later than their "rest system" time in that day the room fee will become overnight price no matter you stay or not.
http://seesaawiki.jp/w/fuzokuwiki/d/%BF%B7%BD%C9%A5%E9%A5%D6%A5%DB%A5%C6%A5%EB%A1%A1XO
From here it said you have to phone the front desk for unlock the door.Hope this help.

You pay when you leave.Beware your check-out time,if later than their "rest system" time in that day the room fee will become overnight price no matter you stay or not.
http://seesaawiki.jp/w/fuzokuwiki/d/%BF%B7%BD%C9%A5%E9%A5%D6%A5%DB%A5%C6%A5%EB%A1%A1XO
From here it said you have to phone the front desk for unlock the door.Hope this help.

Thanks, Kurara-san. That helps. What's the best procedure w/ the girl then? Call from downstairs and meet them in the lobby (and then go to the room), or do i have to be in the room first?

Thanks for the help!

Generally I think LHs are very self-explanatory (touchscreens with image of rooms and prices, etc) and even more if you speak/understand at least basic Japanese. I had never had any trouble EXCEPT this week, when I tried XO Kabukicho for the first time. I had some doubts regarding the discount price for short stay, and wasn't sure if the ticket I got entitled me for it. I called someone at the reception (it was empty) and, after a long while, a dude came up, glanced at me and immediately said (without even checking my nihongo skills) "Hmmmmmm chotto JAPANESE ONLY ne" while shoving a piece of paper to my face (the paper was in English and basically said "if you can't communicate in Japanese you will be denied service" blahblahblah).

I graciously bowed, said "残念ですが、失礼します” and made my way to any of the other 10.000 LHs in the area who were willing to take my money.

Generally I think LHs are very self-explanatory (touchscreens with image of rooms and prices, etc) and even more if you speak/understand at least basic Japanese. I had never had any trouble EXCEPT this week, when I tried XO Kabukicho for the first time. I had some doubts regarding the discount price for short stay, and wasn't sure if the ticket I got entitled me for it. I called someone at the reception (it was empty) and, after a long while, a dude came up, glanced at me and immediately said (without even checking my nihongo skills) "Hmmmmmm chotto JAPANESE ONLY ne" while shoving a piece of paper to my face (the paper was in English and basically said "if you can't communicate in Japanese you will be denied service" blahblahblah).

I graciously bowed, said "残念ですが、失礼します” and made my way to any of the other 10.000 LHs in the area who were willing to take my money.
XO can be quite rude!
I once was having a stay there and asked if they had iphone chargers and they didn't have them. Like, i understand they dont hand them out to their short time customers but for a stay its quite essential if you can charge your phone.

The check out systhem is in kanji so i understand they are wary of foreigners, but meh.

Reactions: zecarioca
The check out systhem is in kanji so i understand they are wary of foreigners, but meh.
Meh indeed! I mean, would it hurt so much to insert an short line with an English translation? Instead, they prefer to put on this "Japanese only" show and turn away potential customers out of the assumption that all foreigners are barbaric retards who will ruin their premises.

I can understand (even if I don't necessarily agree with) the general argument that you need basic Japanese for Soaplands to avoid misunderstandings with the girls, awkward or even violent situations, etc (after all, it's an interaction with another person). But to enter a Love Hotel? Seriously?

Just venting, because I actually don't even bother to discuss with people with this mindset, better just to turn around and go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Meh indeed! I mean, would it hurt so much to insert an short line with an English translation? Instead, they prefer to put on this "Japanese only" show and turn away potential customers out of the assumption that all foreigners are barbaric retards who will ruin their premises.

I can understand (even if I don't necessarily agree with) the general argument that you need basic Japanese for Soaplands to avoid misunderstandings with the girls, awkward or even violent situations, etc (after all, it's an interaction with another person). But to enter a Love Hotel? Seriously?

Just venting, because I actually don't even bother to discuss with people with this mindset, better just to turn around and go somewhere else.

Is this the XO, where there are two hotels, right next to each other? Hotel X and then Hotel O?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Thanks, Kurara-san. That helps. What's the best procedure w/ the girl then? Call from downstairs and meet them in the lobby (and then go to the room), or do i have to be in the room first?

Thanks for the help!

You should enter the room than make phone call because you need the exact room number. As the member here had bad experience in hotel XO,might be it is not your best choice.Hotel Balian group is gaijin friendly,they have quite a lot of branch in Kabukicho.

https://www.balian.jp/shop/index.html#area_shinjuku

Yes. The hotel low lighted (not highlighted) my experience in this thread. Absolutely comical!

Obrigado!
Da nada!

Just a ps.: after being turned away from XO, I just crossed the street diagonally to the next corner and went to Tiffard. They have this afternoon discount, 100 minutes for 3.500 to 3.990 yen (depending on the room). All went smooth, nice room, clean, etc.

Da nada!

Just a ps.: after being turned away from XO, I just crossed the street diagonally to the next corner and went to Tiffard. They have this afternoon discount, 100 minutes for 3.500 to 3.990 yen (depending on the room). All went smooth, nice room, clean, etc.

Last suggestion I took from you was XO....won't make that mistake again.. haha.

I actually love the disposable nature of the LH and how they are usually clean, have the amenities and a big bathroom. But with the way my trips line up, going to one 2 to 3 times a day...it can add up..

For my next trip, I am going to increase my budget for my Airbnb and see how that works out... I have worked out the pros and cons..and might give a try to have more P4P sessions there, even it means paying the delivery charge...

XO is good but not for visitors who dont speak or read Japanese. (And their staff is rude but you usually dont have to interact with them at all to get a room.)

I've noticed that the places where check out it more complicated (like SK plaza with the science fiction payment system, or Avyss where you have to call the front desk to unlock the door when going out) are stricter on foreigners. As long as i went with a Japanese person i've never been refused to a hotel, but with foreigners i usually use the same places even if my Japanese is decent. Japanese people can be pretty distrustful of your skills even if you are speaking in Japanese to them.