NEET friend

ManWithASmallNipple

TAG Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here has a friend who is a NEET like my friend(mid 20s).

He is on his 3rd years this month and he isn't depressed or having a hard time to find a job. Plenty of opportunities came by but he just brushed it off as too much of a pain in the ass to work and would just game whole day at home.

And I noticed that recently he is getting more and more shorted tempered and would just be pissed at our group of friends for petty things.

Really hope that someone can share their experience here

Don't have any friends like that but the short tempered people that arise from such an environment, have had a tendency to snap and do some crazy shit.

You should urge your friend to stop playing games and get his life together.

How is he living now? Off his parents? or how is he paying rent or just living in general without working?

Reactions: ManWithASmallNipple
May be akin to "hikikomori" in Japan. A growing issue, and perhaps a complicated one.

Don't have any friends like that but the short tempered people that arise from such an environment, have had a tendency to snap and do some crazy shit.

You should urge your friend to stop playing games and get his life together.

How is he living now? Off his parents? or how is he paying rent or just living in general without working?
He is living with his family now and his brother is pretty much the breadwinner for his family. Who knows maybe he is secretly rich but him refusing to work despite us giving him plenty of employment chance worries me.

He is currently refusing to speak to us just because some of us refuse his dinner invitation (I was down with fever)

May be akin to "hikikomori" in Japan. A growing issue, and perhaps a complicated one.
One thing he is different from a typical hikikomori is that he isn't afraid of going out/society. He probably just find working a pain in the ass. When a friend asked him why he isn't finding a job, he pretty much just remain silent or change to another topic

Yes, I see. You are his friend, and be a friend. Share some common interests, chat, sometimes take his invitation, sometimes offer one. His choices may be different, and you may not change him. But every kind of person needs a friend. Many aspects of the world suck, and I can understand not wanting to participate. Even hikikomori develops over time... starts with perhaps withdrawal from one thing, and then another. Still I find art is beautiful, and makes life spectacular, when people and work may not.

Yes, I see. You are his friend, and be a friend. Share some common interests, chat, sometimes take his invitation, sometimes offer one. His choices may be different, and you may not change him. But every kind of person needs a friend. Many aspects of the world suck, and I can understand not wanting to participate. Even hikikomori develops over time... starts with perhaps withdrawal from one thing, and then another. Still I find art is beautiful, and makes life spectacular, when people and work may not.
We do have dinner a few times per month and do play csgo together quite often (almost everyday) until recently which was the peak period in my company and another friend of ours was sent overseas by his company for a month.

Reactions: inaka
You’re seeing his behaviors as a problem that needs fixing. I don’t.

Did you maybe consider he’s just hangry? If he seems short-tempered, give him benefit of the doubt and tell him to go eat because “you’re not you when you’re hungry”.

As for his view of work-life, there’s nothing you can do to make him do a job he hates doing.

If I was in his shoes, I’d want my friends to just leave my life decisions to me. And be there when and if I ask for help.

How your friend chooses to live their life is really none of your business. You can’t force them to live in a manner that you think is more healthy or appropriate.

All you can control is how you react to it, and how you react to the way they are behaving and treating you.

I wasted far too many years of my youth trying to rescue friends of mine that simply didn’t want to be helped. If they don’t want the help, then let them be, they’ll either come to their senses eventually, or they won’t. Either way, it’s their choice, not yours.

Reactions: Acid Burn
I wasted far too many years of my youth trying to rescue friends of mine that simply didn’t want to be helped. If they don’t want the help, then let them be, they’ll either come to their senses eventually, or they won’t. Either way, it’s their choice, not yours.
True, he will be pretty much be in the bottom of my priority list from now on

I just can't stand how he frequently rages over small things and also claims we do nothing to help him when things goes south.

Reactions: Sudsy