Guest viewing is limited

Nenkin and Residence Tax

cabbie

TAG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if not having local residence tax fully paid up will affect ability to receive nenkin?

Does anyone know if not having local residence tax fully paid up will affect ability to receive nenkin?

It won't affect your pension but they will collect the residence taxes fully with interest by seizuring your assets including the bank account where your pension money is paid.

Reactions: MossBoss
It won't affect your pension but they will collect the residence taxes fully with interest by seizuring your assets including the bank account where your pension money is paid.
That assumes one is still in Japan and has money in a Japanese account. I guess that raises the question can nenkin be paid into an account outside of Japan?

Dumb question I'm asking but why not get your taxes paid up and not worry about it?
Because the amount of pension I qualify for isn't all that much so it's not worth paying the tax. Just wondering if I can get any of the pension at all. I'm not counting on it to live on. Though it would make a nice little icing on the cake.

it's not worth paying the tax

Why is this even a question?

You lived here, you reaped the benefits of your community. Pay what you owe. Don't be one of those gaijin.

Why is this even a question?

You lived here, you reaped the benefits of your community. Pay what you owe. Don't be one of those gaijin.
If I were a Japanese trying to circumvent confiscatory inheritance tax would you say Pay what you owe. Don't be one of those Japanese?

These kinds of idiots are the same ones that complain that landlords and credit card companies don’t want to deal with them....
I pay for what I use. Taxes aren't based on what you use.

I pay for what I use. Taxes aren't based on what you use.

So if you're apartment caught fire, then you wouldn't have expected the fire department to come to the rescue, or the police if you got mugged. You used it just indirectly. It is the cost of living someplace that is relatively safe to live in. Don't be a dick, pay the tax.

Also, Nenkin has to be paid out to a Japanese bank. I know this because a friend was an English teacher and wanted to get it transferred to their US bank, and was told it had to go through their Japanese bank account.

If I were a Japanese trying to circumvent confiscatory inheritance tax would you say Pay what you owe. Don't be one of those Japanese?

Apples and oranges,since Japanese don't generally have the option of absconding overseas to avoid a tax bill.

But to entertain you, yes, people trying to unlawfully avoid inheritance tax are also scumbag deadbeats - especially since the inheritance tax is here isn't particularly harsh for anyone but the extremely wealthy.

The first 30 million yen is tax free, plus another 6 million per heir, and there is a 160 million deduction for assets that go to a surviving spouse. People like to make a big deal out of the 55% rate, but fail to note that that rate is only applied on post deduction amounts in excess of 600 million yen.

Given that the average total estate value in Japan is roughly 25 million yen, the majority of people don't even need to consider inheritance tax.

I thought you have to pay nenkin tax for 25 years in Japan to get it well paid when you retire, unless you wouldn't be able to receive such pension. Is that an old practice??? Japanese people aren't counting on it, these days though. In short, you shouldn't count on it, unless you're long time residence + well comitted tax payer. I think it has nothing to do with local residence tax.It's just a different tax item.

I don’t go to hospital but I still pay health insurance.

You are a leaching scumbag. I hope you get what’s coming to you sooner rather than later.

You sound like a "tax collector" in the bible...;)

I thought you have to pay nenkin tax for 25 years in Japan to get it well paid when you retire, unless you wouldn't be able to receive such pension. Is that an old practice??? Japanese people aren't counting on it, these days though. In short, you shouldn't count on it, unless you're long time residence + well comitted tax payer. I think it has nothing to do with local residence tax.It's just a different tax item.

Yes, they changed it to 10 years. Of course to help people, not because now they can make more foreigners to pay for it, obviously. :D

As if you are old enough when you move in to the country that you can't fullfil the payment schedule they exclude you. So before if you moved in after turning 40 you didn't have to pay. Now it is only after 55.

Yes, they changed it to 10 years. Of course to help people, not because now they can make more foreigners to pay for it, obviously. :D

As if you are old enough when you move in to the country that you can't fullfil the payment schedule they exclude you. So before if you moved in after turning 40 you didn't have to pay. Now it is only after 55.

I see! That's so short, though...maybe they hiked up the rate to fill up the gap?? That's more realistic,.though!!! I'm not really following fully for the tax system up to date, either...you just get it deducted from my wage...
of course additional payment for metropolitan regidential tax, etc...

I see! That's so short, though...maybe they hiked up the rate to fill up the gap??

No, it's the same rate. So if you pay the 10 years and then start to receive pension you will get a whopping 195.035 yens per year. So you can get one Yuriko-san BJ and a couple of beers every two months. :D

If it’s the case that you’re 65+, or whatever the age it is you can legally receive pension, but have outstanding local taxes from some other ward, it’s typically been the case that coordination is rare. However, it’s also the case that more and more ward offices are getting aggressive on collecting on delinquent accounts. There’s a yahoo! Japan auction site dedicated to seized assets ... here:
https://koubai.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/

If it’s the case that you’re 65+, or whatever the age it is you can legally receive pension, but have outstanding local taxes from some other ward, it’s typically been the case that coordination is rare. However, it’s also the case that more and more ward offices are getting aggressive on collecting on delinquent accounts. There’s a yahoo! Japan auction site dedicated to seized assets ... here:
https://koubai.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/

Neat I'll have to look through that see if there's anything interesting there...

Because the amount of pension I qualify for isn't all that much so it's not worth paying the tax. Just wondering if I can get any of the pension at all. I'm not counting on it to live on. Though it would make a nice little icing on the cake.
So gather the info and do the math. If it’s not worth it to you to pay the tax owed ( and which you should have paid regardless) don’t pay it. But then you need to forfeit the pension. You were a dick once by not paying the tax. Don’t be a dick again by taking a pension you know you don’t deserve.

Despite the inefficiencies of local government and the fact the vast majority of people don’t get their monies worth from local government I don’t mind paying it.

City tax actually supports services for the old, diisabled and other disadvantaged groups. Also, they provide disaster relief - which I personally benefited from when I was caught up in a disaster area.

Hopefully, @Crabbies next thread will be him moaning about the local government raiding his bank account.

On local / municipal tax ... you actually have an option in your income tax filing to specify a city in Japan other than say, Minato Ward or Shibuya Ward. And, many people do so, not out of hometown pride or loyalty, but like those freebies you get as shareholders of Japanese stock, cool omiyage like wagyu or local produce. Look up “furusato Nozei” ... numerous cities and villages throughout Japan have set up informational homepages , even in English.

I hope you get what’s coming to you sooner rather than later.

You'll be happy to hear I got exactly what's coming to me. I was able to retire early and have left Japan with my hard earned money.
In 10 years, when I'm eligible, I'll let you know if I manage to get nenkin as well. Wish me luck pal.