Guest viewing is limited

Netflix: Tokyo Idols

ur19877

TAG Member
Reaction score
When I was at a bar in Shinjuku, the bartender joked that the guy next to me was a 'lolicon'. I had an idea of what he was talking about....and then I saw Tokyo Idols on Netflix, and got a much much better idea...

From Google, Tokyo Idols: "This documentary explores Japan's fascination with girl bands and their music, delving into the cultural obsession with young female sexuality and the growing disconnect between men and women in hyper modern societies."

While I am no longer shocked about much about Japanese culture (especially the P4P scene)... one scene did floor me..

The documentary does follow three idol groups of different ages...and one common scene was the fan meet and greet... this is where you can have a handshake with one girl and then move on the next girl and get a handshake... all the guys in each of the scenes were from their twenties to their fifties...

In the older group of girls (high teens), I was thinking, "oh. I wouldn't pay for that...but that's cool its an option". The next group was around 15 yr olds, and I thought, "oh that girl was cute, and if I was in HS, I would be in love"... then came the scene with 10 year olds and I was like, "alright, that's a bit extreme, actually, that's not right..." Because there had to be sexual attraction to the two older girl groups from these guys... thus leading to the third group... how could there not be sexual attraction??

anyways... if you r not in Japan and want to get an insight on idols/otaku, I would recommend..

Reactions: Rikako Katayama
It seems a bit more hidden now but many years ago if you walked into an Akihabara DVD store you'd likely have gone past the "junior idol" section. Basically, suggestive gravure movies where the girls are probably 12yo and much younger. It is a bit of a shock the first time you encounter it. Considering where these DVDs are sold the context in terms of how the buyers will use them is pretty obvious..

I don't really understand or perhaps want to know what drives a parent to sign their child up for something like that at a super young age.

It seems a bit more hidden now but many years ago if you walked into an Akihabara DVD store you'd likely have gone past the "junior idol" section. Basically, suggestive gravure movies where the girls are probably 12yo and much younger. It is a bit of a shock the first time you encounter it. Considering where these DVDs are sold the context in terms of how the buyers will use them is pretty obvious..

I don't really understand or perhaps want to know what drives a parent to sign their child up for something like that at a super young age.

Agreed. I can’t believe that it is naivety on the parents part.

scene with 10 year olds and I was like, "alright, that's a bit extreme, actually, that's not right..." Because there had to be sexual attraction to the two older girl groups from these guys... thus leading to the third group... how could there not be sexual attraction??

I watched today after you wrote about it today.
When there is the 10 years old girls group, there is a scene where a guy say : "Their selling point is that they are not fully developed. If they were older, they would not interested me"....
Creepy as fuck...

"Their selling point is that they are not fully developed. If they were older, they would not interested me"....

Yeah... some people just need to be removed from society.

I tried to not be ‘that American’ who imposes his judgment about other countries, but I was pretty floored when it came to the youngest group scenes...

Shit man you’ll be even more grossed out when you find out why any male ‘fans’ at these events have to show their hands to security upon entrance.

Spoiler: there was a spate of guys jacking off and cumming on their hands, holding it then shaking the girl’s hands so that they can say they have gotten their jizz onto their favourite idol

Shit man you’ll be even more grossed out when you find out why any male ‘fans’ at these events have to show their hands to security upon entrance.

Spoiler: there was a spate of guys jacking off and cumming on their hands, holding it then shaking the girl’s hands so that they can say they have gotten their jizz onto their favourite idol
I wouldn't be too concerned about that if i were an idol. More so about guys smuggling in a knife and stabbing their favorite idol.

Reactions: meiji
Stabbing!? :eek: Don't know why a guy would stab their favorite....maybe stabbing their favorite's rivals?

What a security theatre...can't guys just extract the raw material after checkpoint? :D
Public masturbation isn't too hard with baggy pants (no, I don't do it)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
There's an idol from one of the 48 groups, Kaori Matsumura. She's the first idol who publically said "Hey you know what, I no longer accept gifts from fans and my manager and agency will destroy everything unopened. I'm tired of stuffed animals covered in jizz stains." I like her, she's very outspoken over some taboo topics.

Reactions: impish
A lot of stalkers claim to be madly in love with their victims and want to "save them" by way of knife wounds. Often it just takes a message saying "you are no longer allowed at events because of your behaviour" or the like and suddenly she's "betrayed" them and she needs to be punished.

Jizz handshakes...
Jizzed presents..
Stabbings of passion...!? :eek:

Though I sometimes consider myself a weirdo, and maybe a little bit 'sick in the head', these creeps are on whole new level.

Jizz handshakes...
Jizzed presents..
Stabbings of passion...!? :eek:

Though I sometimes consider myself a weirdo, and maybe a little bit 'sick in the head', these creeps are on whole new level.

indeed they are

There's a reason no maid in any maid cafe in Akihabara works under her real name.

Reactions: BB0523
Err...I'm something of an idol otaku, although probably not quite what you might expect as I'm a rather sane one - just like a good many of us foreign idol fans.

Willing to answer questions if only to clear up misconceptions about us. What would you like to know?

Reactions: jhingy567
You can't really add much. The Japanese otaku scene has layers that run dark and deep. You're a fan, idols are fun. For them, idols are the only reason they live.

I'm not unaware of the scene, I practice listening to colloquial Japanese by watching AKBingo and the like.

Err...I'm something of an idol otaku, although probably not quite what you might expect as I'm a rather sane one - just like a good many of us foreign idol fans.

Willing to answer questions if only to clear up misconceptions about us. What would you like to know?
So who is your favorite?

I judge idol otaku craziness based on the amount of money spent for idol merchandises and services. How much money you spent yearly for your idol?

Err...I have mingled with some more hardcore fans than myself, but yeah you're right. The layers run deep and I didn't really even delve that far.

But I do think that the even the obsessive fan types are often judged unfairly. True, for such fans, their lives center around their favorite idol. So what about it? It really is no different from any other expensive hobby like Legos, for example. Yet the Lego Collector is often simply thought of as eccentric but the idol fan is thought of as a weird pervert who might be a pedophile, and that simply isn't true and quite an unfair perception.

Yes, their hobby revolves around worshiping a young teenage girl but believe me, its actually no different from worshiping Star Wars. Don't think too much into it, or blindly assume that they are lusting after the girls. I can safely say that alone in a 1-on-1 situation, these girls are likely safer with most of their fans than with any random male stranger. But yes, personal fan interaction is best kept to a minimum, but not quite for the reasons that you might think.

Like has been mentioned, the layers run deep, and believe me...the actual degenerates are an incredibly small subset of the hardcore fans. There is a huge amount of fuss about the incidents where the girls were stabbed, attacked, given semen handshakes, etc. but on a statistical standpoint from the sheer number of fan interactions that occur in Japan, its a mere blip. Almost like being struck by lightning. But yes, 1 incident is all it takes and now suddenly every fan is being viewed as a creepy weirdo.

Truth is, these hardcore fans types don't really defer that much from us casual fans. They are just willing to invest more of their time and resources into their hobby while I just dabble in it for fun. But our mentality and how we think about these girls aren't really that different, which is why I think I have a better understanding of them than most people.

I did actually happen to catch the Tokyo Idols documentary and it was even in a public viewing session. At the end of it, I got the distinct impression that the audience either pitied or are disgusted with these idol fans, and that sort of immediate judgement over something that they don't really even understand made me disgusted at them in return.

Take that fan of Rio in the documentary for example. Look, he's actually a fairly normal guy and the director even took pains to ensure he is portrayed as such. He's not even anti-social. You might note that he's actually very friendly and gets along fine with his fellow fans and even other folks provided they're not inclined to be prejudiced against him. Yes, he's a single middle-aged guy but there's no shortage of them for various other reasons (especially on this forum, don't deny it) so why must he be judged differently? I suppose if you want to think of him as a creepy loser in the sense that some other Star Wars super-fan who spent thousands on merchandise is also a creepy loser, than fair enough. But if its just because he has a hobby you don't understand...c'mon...

Reactions: ur19877