Guest viewing is limited

Netflix: Tokyo Idols

Well, your reply is pretty long so I would prefer not to quote it.

Chances are for a good number of the older fans, they just never really outgrew their earlier tastes. People often forget that AKB48 has been around for over a decade now, and there were other idol groups before even them. Many of the girls have cycled out but the fans remain.

Its kind of the same with me. I first took notice of Morning Musume back in college when I first started to be a weeb, and it hasn't stopped. I'm just not as enthusiastic about idols now as before but I still enjoy following the scene every now and than.

And the reason why they never 'outgrew' it is because it became their primary passion in life. Their hobby, so to speak.

Anyways, I'm just here to clear up the perception that idol fans are just doing it to creep on young girls. After all, as I also pointed out in another post, Japan does have other more direct avenues available if they really did want to do so. This is something that the Tokyo Idols documentary never really addressed, as though it were trying to ignore the elephant in the room. Instead, they focused on the handshake being 'sexual'. No, it isn't. Its a handshake. If they want sexual contact with young girls, there's always enjo kosei which involves more than just shaking hands.

But is it all perhaps a bit sad, weird, or unusual...well, I actually kinda have to agree...

Exile for example.

Taylor and Ariana both have huge teenage girl follower crowds in Japan. So do some K-pop girl bands who do those handshake events for example in Makuhari.

The participants in those events are 99 percent girls from 8 to 16 years old with their parent in tow for the younger ones.