Guest viewing is limited

New cheaper prepaid simcard (data only) available in Japan

Karbon

TAG Member
Reaction score
Since April 02 new prepaid simcards (iijmio) have appeared in major retailing shops, including Bic Camera Air inside Haneda Airport. You can now get 1.5 Gb or 3gb for 30 days at a cheaper price per gigabyte than before.
In addition you don't have anymore to choose the right format of the simcard as they are now 3 in 1 fitting all types of phones. Be careful though as the older prepaid simcards are still displayed and sold, So choose carefully.

Attachments

• new prepaid simcard japan.jpg
    new prepaid simcard japan.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 185
Since April 02 new prepaid simcards (iijmio) have appeared in major retailing shops, including Bic Camera Air inside Haneda Airport. You can now get 1.5 Gb or 3gb for 30 days at a cheaper price per gigabyte than before.
In addition you don't have anymore to choose the right format of the simcard as they are now 3 in 1 fitting all types of phones. Be careful though as the older prepaid simcards are still displayed and sold, So choose carefully.
I bought exactly this one last summer in bic camera and at that same price.

From my research it seems very difficult but not impossible. Looks like Softbank main shops may offer a phone we can buy even without having visa much less residence permit given.
Maybe some shop can sell some used prepaid phones?
It would be awesome if some shop can sell second hand phones if previous owner does through the hassle to activate a prepaid phone and then wants to sell it
Having a Japanese number seems to be super helpful for Delivery Health if you do not want to waste time calling once already inside of the love hotel

Reactions: ur19877
Thanks for the tip! Any chances to get a no-hassle prepaid sim card that also includes a phone number?

It's actually not legal to contract a cell system phone number to nonresidents.

You can use Skype or similar services to got a 050 VOIP number, though.

Reactions: meiji
I bought exactly this one last summer in bic camera and at that same price.

I really doubt it. It may appear the same but these new simcards were advertised to be on sale from April 02, 2018.
In addition I did buy simcards in automn 2017 and I never saw them ... especially with 3 in 1 card format.

For those looking for having the possibility to phone, several hotels in Tokyo (Cerulean, Keio Plaza, The Capitol Tokyu) now offer a free smartphone called "Handy" (if I remember well) in the room that allows free phonecalls and internet and a few apps including goole maps. But when it 's free you are the product ...

I really doubt it. It may appear the same but these new simcards were advertised to be on sale from April 02, 2018.
In addition I did buy simcards in automn 2017 and I never saw them ... especially with 3 in 1 card format.
20180417_193511.jpg
20180417_193534.jpg

Reactions: Karbon
So you see you had 2 gb for 3000 yen and had to choose the simcard format. Now you get 3gb for that price, a 3 in 1 simcard but it only last 30 days (compared to 3 months on your picture)
yeah I chose that one for the long period, there were other options.

It's actually not legal to contract a cell system phone number to nonresidents.

You can use Skype or similar services to got a 050 VOIP number, though.
Really? If I have a 3-year (foreign) spouse visa so I assume I'm still non-resident yet I got a cell phone number solely in my name for the past 3 years billing to my American credit card each month. I also got a Japanese credit card - not a debit card (although, I'm really knowledgeable on credit history related things back home, the credit system here even perplexes me as the bank rep's explanation of their reporting/verification system made no sense)

If I have a 3-year (foreign) spouse visa so I assume I'm still non-resident

You have a valid status of residence.... you have a residence card.....

Don't lose focus.

This thread is about dealing with the hassle of getting a phone sim card in Japan.

And I can confirm you can easily go now to BIC Camera shops and get sim cards without hassle at Narita airport or dealing with complicated online shopping.

In fact, in BIC camera is even better because they dont ask for your passport and there is no limitation. You can buy as many cards as you want and if they expire or get empty you can either recharge or buy a new card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karbon
Really? If I have a 3-year (foreign) spouse visa so I assume I'm still non-resident yet I got a cell phone number solely in my name for the past 3 years billing to my American credit card each month. I also got a Japanese credit card - not a debit card (although, I'm really knowledgeable on credit history related things back home, the credit system here even perplexes me as the bank rep's explanation of their reporting/verification system made no sense)
you're a resident even with a one year spouse visa.

Reactions: split