New next door neighbor and it isn't Mr. Rogers...

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is technically my roommate's next door neighbor, but anyway. So he just moved in about 3 days ago and just this morning my roommate and I noticed that he hung this strange note (more of a warning sign) on his front door. It is in Japanese but translates to English something like: If you are not 不動産 or 郵便局 and you ring the doorbell or knock I will kill you! Seriously...who the fuck is this cunt? lol

I plan to take a photo of his "warning sign" tomorrow before I go to work. I already know what he looks like. He is this short guy with a shaved head. He looks like a delinquent, but he hasn't seen me yet. I'm sure I'm going to have to cross paths with him once in a while when leaving, returning from work, dinner, etc. I wonder how that is going to go.

We don't plan to report on the sign so soon because he will know we were the ones to report it and we want to avoid any potential drama. We plan to say nothing and see how long he plans to keep the sign up (probably always going to be hanging there lol). I am pretty sure that when the summer clothes I plan to order soon are delivered, the guy delivering them is going to see this sign and be like wtf?

When delivery guys notice strange, threatening signs like this, do they report them or just ignore them? Has anyone even heard of this before? My Japanese roommate told me she has never seen a sign this crazy in her whole life here in Japan lol.

Same landlord as you? If so, find a way to let the landlord discover it.
If not, leave it a couple of weeks and then take a photo to the local Koban to ask for their "advice". They'd probably welcome a chance to have a word with the guy and they'd surely understand that you don't want to be identified as the person that reported it.

Yes it is the same landlord. Since he just put the sign up 2 nights ago, we plan to hold off for a few weeks. If he doesn't take the sign down by then, my roommate is going to call the landlord. We are trying to avoid drama because I'm technically supposed to be living with my wife not this roommate. The only reason I am not living with my wife now is because her mom is crazy, doesn't like me and kicked me out. Drama with this idiot might end up shedding light on my situation, which makes things even more annoying.

Let's just say this idiot and his sign are motivation for me to find and rent out my own apartment. I was going to hold off until early next year but I think I want to get the hell out of here a lot earlier now.

The fucking annoying thing is that my roommate's apartment is the only one right next door to him. There is a hallway that separates the other rooms on the other side of the building, so the other people living on the other side would never notice the sign. They would have no reason to walk to this side because their apartments on on the other side of the hallway.

If the sign is any sign of his intellect (pun intended), then I can already predict him accusing us of reporting him due to us being the only ones next door.

He can go fuck himself though because we are giving him a few weeks grace period before we report him.

Last edited:
If you are not 不動産 or 郵便局 and you ring the doorbell or knock I will kill you
I always find it a little bit weird when people do this, like translate 90% of what he wrote into English, but then leave some Kanji in there.

I'm not sure why you are letting it get to you, sure it makes him look like a dick, but life's full of people who are dicks. It's not like he's done anything to you physically, or threatened you etc.

I'm not sure what you are expecting the police to do either, tell him to take down an offensive piece of paper? We had our neighbor literally try to break into our apartment when drunk, police spoke to him, landlord did fuck all because "he works for a good company". All that will happen is that your landlord will pay more attention to your circumstances, and that sounds like the last thing you need.

Reactions: Guuu and MikeH
I always find it a little bit weird when people do this, like translate 90% of what he wrote into English, but then leave some Kanji in there.

In general I agree and find it baffling when people stick kanji, not even romaji, in the middle of English text, but in this case, I suspect that the kanji are people's names...the only two people who are welcome to knock on that particular door. But that is a guess.

-Ww

In general I agree and find it baffling when people stick kanji, not even romaji, in the middle of English text, but in this case, I suspect that the kanji are people's names...the only two people who are welcome to knock on that particular door. But that is a guess.

-Ww

不動産 - realtor/estate agent
郵便局 - post office

The question is more why TJB left those two words only in Japanese (if I understand well the original post , the full message is in Japanese, meaning that it is not intended to gaijins specifically... which doesn't make it more acceptable of course)

Reactions: MikeH
IMG_20170601_112724.jpg

I'm not sure why you are letting it get to you, sure it makes him look like a dick, but life's full of people who are dicks. It's not like he's done anything to you physically, or threatened you etc.

I'm not sure what you are expecting the police to do either, tell him to take down an offensive piece of paper? We had our neighbor literally try to break into our apartment when drunk, police spoke to him, landlord did fuck all because "he works for a good company". All that will happen is that your landlord will pay more attention to your circumstances, and that sounds like the last thing you need.

Here is the sign. A Japanese friend of mine said this is rare behavior and that he doesn't literally mean kill, but the nuance is more of a strong "fuck you".

Also, I didn't want to call the police. That is what my roommate wanted to do. I don't want any drama. He might just want to be left alone, but the stupid sign is unnecessary. People stupid enough to leave crazy signs on their door are likely to do other crazy things like breaking into apartments lol. The longer I live next to him, the more I will learn about him I guess.

do you plan on ringing or knocking on his door?

When I first noticed the sign and read it I was pissed. I was tempted to not only call his bluff by knocking on his door, but I thought about ripping the sign off his door and wiping my ass with it. I would leave the shit-stained paper on the ground at his doorstep. I won't do anything like this unless I see him one day and say hello and he is an asshole to me for no reason. Then it is officially game on lol.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The question is more why TJB left those two words only in Japanese (if I understand well the original post , the full message is in Japanese, meaning that it is not intended to gaijins specifically... which doesn't make it more acceptable of course)

I apologize, it is a habit of mine. He only wants the real estate agency or post office to be allowed to bother him lol.

He is lucky I also stay up late, so I don't mind hearing him talk with his friend late at night. It is still annoying that he has the nerve to put that note about not bothering him, when I'm sure he will keep my roommate and others up at night do to the noise...hypocrite.

Well maybe he doesn't want to be bothered by the NHK fees collectors :)

Yes, my roommate mentioned that being a possibility. I noticed his car is parked outside and has been all day. I think it is because he works graveyard shift and doesn't want to be woken up during the daytime when he is sleeping.

So if he is a dick to me later I can blast some Soundgarden in a Chris Cornell tribute for him lol.

Yes, my roommate mentioned that being a possibility. I noticed his car is parked outside and has been all day. I think it is because he works graveyard shift and doesn't want to be woken up during the daytime when he is sleeping.

So if he is a dick to me later I can blast some Soundgarden in a Chris Cornell tribute for him lol.

Hmmmm... I would avoid that. Just let him sleep...

Just leave it alone. Chances are the guy works nights and is tired of salespeople or the NHK guy waking him up.

I used to work nights. People ringing my doorbell and waking me up was the bane of my existence... and being a rental I couldn't disconnect the stupid thing.

Reactions: patty diaz
Just leave it alone. Chances are the guy works nights and is tired of salespeople or the NHK guy waking him up.

I used to work nights. People ringing my doorbell and waking me up was the bane of my existence... and being a rental I couldn't disconnect the stupid thing.

I plan to leave it alone and just try to be friendly with him. I haven't met him yet, so I still have no idea what he is really like.

I can always knock on his door and introduce myself. Joking of course lol.

If he is loud at night like you said, I would definitely complain... but that's just me and I'm really picky about noise from neighbors. Not sure if I would ring on his door tho... maybe either leaving a message in his mailbox or contacting the landlord.

If he is loud at night like you said, I would definitely complain... but that's just me and I'm really picky about noise from neighbors. Not sure if I would ring on his door tho... maybe either leaving a message in his mailbox or contacting the landlord.

My roommate needs to sleep earlier than me due to going to work early in the morning, so there will be a complaint if he continues to be noisy every night. He should be thankful if we don't complain about his sign as well lol.

Reactions: Anna Summer
I actually find it really baffling why you are so irritated about this. Did you think there are no obnoxious people in Japan or what is your problem with this particular dickhead?

The guy obviously just wants to be left alone and doing just that doesn't cost you anything nor should it make life intolerable for you. Or did you just wanted so bad to ring his doorbell and make a new friend and he killed your dream?

I would just continue living my life as before and only take further action if he kills so many people their corpses block the corridor.

Yea, those bastards... I'm still paying for that shit after moving.
The way they got into my house was so fucking sneaky as well
Sending hot ladies pretending to need English lessons? :D

Reactions: MikeH