New next door neighbor and it isn't Mr. Rogers...

In general I agree and find it baffling when people stick kanji, not even romaji, in the middle of English text, but in this case, I suspect that the kanji are people's names...the only two people who are welcome to knock on that particular door. But that is a guess.

-Ww
:ROFLMAO: You're so cute!

I actually find it really baffling why you are so irritated about this. Did you think there are no obnoxious people in Japan or what is your problem with this particular dickhead?

The guy obviously just wants to be left alone and doing just that doesn't cost you anything nor should it make life intolerable for you. Or did you just wanted so bad to ring his doorbell and make a new friend and he killed your dream?

I would just continue living my life as before and only take further action if he kills so many people their corpses block the corridor.

I have cooled my head a lot since this morning. I realize that obnoxious morons are all over the world, but this was just my first time noticing it right in my face. I guess because it was so sudden. I mean the dude was moving in his shit just a few days ago and we have no idea who he is, so the first impression with his dumbass sign wasn't a good one lol.

The reason why it is annoying is because although his target audience are people from the NHK, Mormons, salespeople...when he made the sign and decided to put it up, he knew we would notice it and that it would come off as strange and unfriendly to his new neighbors...but he did it anyway.

Couldn't he have thought about our feelings as well? What a selfish bastard lol.

Can someone give me the 5 min run down on what the NHk fees are? Don't know a goof google starting point.

In Japan, it’s mandatory to pay for a TV license if you own a television set or device that can receive a broadcast signal. So a phone might be enough and no, it doesn't matter if you watch the telly or NHK programs in particular or not.

The money goes to NHK, Japan’s national broadcasting service. But the Broadcast Law lists no punitive actions for non-payment. In other words, if you don’t want to pay, they can’t make you.

They collect the fee by knocking on your door. If you don't pay up they come again, and again... They come to your dreams and all your parallel words. Read Murakami's 1Q84 for more details.

http://pid.nhk.or.jp/jushinryo/multilingual/english/index.html

In Japan, it’s mandatory to pay for a TV license if you own a television set or device that can receive a broadcast signal. So a phone might be enough and no, it doesn't matter if you watch the telly or NHK programs in particular or not.

The money goes to NHK, Japan’s national broadcasting service. But the Broadcast Law lists no punitive actions for non-payment. In other words, if you don’t want to pay, they can’t make you.

They collect the fee by knocking on your door. If you don't pay up they come again, and again... They come to your dreams and all your parallel words. Read Murakami's 1Q84 for more details.

Thanks! I assume they rely on well behaved Japanese people to follow the honesty system and pay, and but collective the fees door to door puzzles me. That would be quote bothersome.

I have read about this a couple times before...how fucking annoying. So even if you choose not to buy a TV, the NHK will come knocking if there is a device that can receive a broadcast signal?

Well, is there a way to talk with real estate companies about this when looking for a new place? Like hey guys, I'm looking for a place that doesn't have a TV or a broadcast signal. I'm looking for a place where the NHK won't come knocking. It this possible?

I have been staying with my current roommate for about 8 months now and I have never noticed NHK people...so places like this must exist right? lol

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I have read about this a couple times before...how fucking annoying. So even if you choose not to buy a TV, the NHK will come knocking if there is a device that can receive a broadcast signal?

Well, is there a way to talk with real estate companies about this when looking for a new place? Like hey guys, I'm looking for a place that doesn't have a TV or a broadcast signal. I'm looking for a place where the NHK won't come knocking. It this possible?

I have been staying with my current roommate for about 8 months now and I have never noticed NHK people...so places like this must exist right? lol

Japan is not the only country in the world like this...

Reactions: MikeH
Japan is not the only country in the world like this...

I didn't make that claim lol. I'm just asking if there are apartments I can rent out where NHK won't bother me? Do they literally force everyone in Japan to pay?

Reactions: MikeH
If I worked the night shift and had people knocking on my door during the day I'd be pretty pissed too to be honest. Maybe the brashness of it was to make sure people REALLY don't knock/ring his door. Either way, he could have introduced himself or something and mentioned the reasoning behind the sign.

Like hey guys, I'm looking for a place that doesn't have a TV or a broadcast signal. I'm looking for a place where the NHK won't come knocking.

So you would need to find a place that cannot receive even satellite signals. A cave maybe? But of course you could have a TV capable cell phone so they could come to check that anyway :p

Moving to somewhere very distant would probably work. Or buying big plot of land and building a Trump-wall around it. Or never being at home at daytime.

But if they have never bothered you this far I wouldn't probably worry too much about it.

the first impression with his dumbass sign wasn't a good one.
Indeed. This is a symptom of the erosion of traditional Japanese manners.
The first place I lived in japan was rural. All my neighbors came to see me and shared food from their vegetable plots with me. They taught me that it's a traditional courtesy to say hello to your new neighbors.
Later, when I moved to an apartment in a provincial city, I followed this tradition by taking senbei to the apartments in the same block. The first two neighbors looked at me suspiciously through the gap In the doorway, with the door on the chain and received my gift with a bemused or churlish attitude. The third neighbor smiled and said "Oh. Nobody does this anymore." The fourth neighbour shouted at me from behind her closed door. And then I gave up.
I guess you could shame your new neighbor by hanging a bag of sweets on his door with a "welcome neighbor" message.

What also helps is having a monitor in the room. I've had the NHK guy coming a couple of times but I never opened because I can see who is ringing downstairs. Not very nice I know but I don't own a TV anyways.

An intercom monitor is essential in JPN. It is amazing how many "visitors" visit my house everyday selling anything from tomatoes thru religion thru securities. I think I need more monitors so I don't have to rush around the house to get to the monitor to see if it is the postman/courier guys or someone I don't want to see. Work at home days are very unproductive.

I have had two NHK visits. They are tricky devils. Ignore is the best option. If you accidentally engage them, you need to get creative quickly. One excuse I have up my sleeve for their next visit is Air BnB.....Ja, Bjorn from Sweden.

Ok, so this is technically my roommate's next door neighbor, but anyway. So he just moved in about 3 days ago and just this morning my roommate and I noticed that he hung this strange note (more of a warning sign) on his front door. It is in Japanese but translates to English something like: If you are not 不動産 or 郵便局 and you ring the doorbell or knock I will kill you! Seriously...who the fuck is this cunt? lol

I plan to take a photo of his "warning sign" tomorrow before I go to work. I already know what he looks like. He is this short guy with a shaved head. He looks like a delinquent, but he hasn't seen me yet. I'm sure I'm going to have to cross paths with him once in a while when leaving, returning from work, dinner, etc. I wonder how that is going to go.

We don't plan to report on the sign so soon because he will know we were the ones to report it and we want to avoid any potential drama. We plan to say nothing and see how long he plans to keep the sign up (probably always going to be hanging there lol). I am pretty sure that when the summer clothes I plan to order soon are delivered, the guy delivering them is going to see this sign and be like wtf?

When delivery guys notice strange, threatening signs like this, do they report them or just ignore them? Has anyone even heard of this before? My Japanese roommate told me she has never seen a sign this crazy in her whole life here in Japan lol.

Short, shaved head, delinquent.....sounds like the fascist that failed me on my JPN driver's license test. I wouldn't assume this guy is working nights at the Nissin Cup Noodle factory. He may have friends in low places. Does he drive? Black van? Black Mercedes?

An intercom monitor is essential in JPN. It is amazing how many "visitors" visit my house everyday selling anything from tomatoes thru religion thru securities. I think I need more monitors so I don't have to rush around the house to get to the monitor to see if it is the postman/courier guys or someone I don't want to see. Work at home days are very unproductive.

I have had two NHK visits. They are tricky devils. Ignore is the best option. If you accidentally engage them, you need to get creative quickly. One excuse I have up my sleeve for their next visit is Air BnB.....Ja, Bjorn from Sweden.

In my previous apartment I haven't had an intercom monitor and once the NHK guy showed up, blabbing something in weird Japanese holding a pamphlet. I pulled the 'I don't understand japanese' stupid gaijin and he quickly apologized and was never seen again :ROFLMAO: not sure if that works with all of them.

In my previous apartment I haven't had an intercom monitor and once the NHK guy showed up, blabbing something in weird Japanese holding a pamphlet. I pulled the 'I don't understand japanese' stupid gaijin and he quickly apologized and was never seen again :ROFLMAO: not sure if that works with all of them.

I hear that it does.

Reactions: Anna Summer
Indeed. This is a symptom of the erosion of traditional Japanese manners.
The first place I lived in japan was rural. All my neighbors came to see me and shared food from their vegetable plots with me. They taught me that it's a traditional courtesy to say hello to your new neighbors.
Later, when I moved to an apartment in a provincial city, I followed this tradition by taking senbei to the apartments in the same block. The first two neighbors looked at me suspiciously through the gap In the doorway, with the door on the chain and received my gift with a bemused or churlish attitude. The third neighbor smiled and said "Oh. Nobody does this anymore." The fourth neighbour shouted at me from behind her closed door. And then I gave up.
I guess you could shame your new neighbor by hanging a bag of sweets on his door with a "welcome neighbor" message.

Jesus Christ...what a bunch of cunts lol. I have experienced friendly, traditional neighbors in Japan when I was at my wife's mother's place.

What sucks is that I live in a somewhat rural area. I'm not too far from Shizuoka station but it is about a 30 minute bicycle ride.

Short, shaved head, delinquent.....sounds like the fascist that failed me on my JPN driver's license test. I wouldn't assume this guy is working nights at the Nissin Cup Noodle factory. He may have friends in low places. Does he drive? Black van? Black Mercedes?

haha no black van or Mercedes. He has a small black and orange bicycle. There is a compact size, light blue Japanese car that either belongs to him or his gf/wife/friend/whoever she is.

It would suck if they somehow knew you could speak Japanese and they were like "My coworker said you know Japanese...don't bullshit me ma'am!" :eek: lol

Reactions: Anna Summer