Guest viewing is limited

New Pocket WiFi - Suggestion?

I guess it is like that with any agreement but then it's probably by luck and the position of the stars how strict they are with that.

I know guys who have gone like twice over their limits with no problems but then you can never count on that. If they decide to throttle the speed you can still probably do anything but streaming with no problems.

It's not really a mystery. ;) I try to keep things ambiguous because of a few reasons.

I was tossed into this industry (P2P) because of a girl I dated a long time ago whom I learned was DH provider by accident (she didn't tell me, but admitted it after I figured it out). Ever since that first contact, I've been linked up with working girls (through the same girl) and agencies through various means over the past 10 or so years. Once TAG was running, I came into contact with many visiting and resident providers. I choose not to partake in the P2P scene because I think while operating TAG, it's vital to be seen as independent. (No offense girls, I think most of you are pretty awesome in your own way.) -- I've always been working in some online site/business as a side job or hobby, just because I enjoy doing it. TAG is nearly a full-time job given the amount of effort required to keep things in check.

The most common question I get all the time, why not have my own agency/service!? -- To be frank... it's just not worth the trouble. TAG is enough... haha.

The whole reason I'm in Japan is because of my primary job, which is a 正社員 (permanent employee) position at a large Japanese firm. However, I function independently of the company with my own projects and own budget. I only maintain this job because of the benefits and keeping the 正社員 status in case I decide to transition to another higher paying job in another company. Beyond my regular job, I operate two other businesses. One of which, is a parent to TAG from a business point of view.

At the end of all this, I'm self-made. I enjoy working, since everything that I have to do, I usually like doing. There are times (like right now) that I get irritated with work in general, but that's just part of life. As soon as I finish all my tax forms for this year, I'll be much happier.

Sooooo the issue in question -- I need a better, reasonable Pocket WiFi plan to allow me to keep my mobile office working. :) I keep a rental office in Kabukicho, but I don't keep internet service there since I'm constantly moving. I will be looking for a regular office later this year... as long as things are fine financially.

I am in awe(y)

Two years ago I went over some soft limit (installed new phone and used 3GB in 2 days out of 8). I got throttled the remainder of the month and could do nothing but text messages. I think I had umobile or something like that. I spent hours on the phone as well as in shops to get that fixed. In the end I just gave up as month end was approaching anyways.

I just signed up for a new pocket Wi-Fi service a few weeks ago since I'm a freelancer and I got tired of unreliable cafe Wi-Fi. I use WiMAX 2+ through the provider "GMO Tokutoku BB." I chose this one because it's reasonably priced, has no monthly limits on data, and, while it DOES have a 7 GB three-day limit, the throttled speed is 1MB/sec, which is still fast enough to watch a YouTube video at normal resolution. So for all intents and purposes, it offers you unlimited data.

Reactions: Garcian and MikeH
I just signed up for a new pocket Wi-Fi service a few weeks ago since I'm a freelancer and I got tired of unreliable cafe Wi-Fi. I use WiMAX 2+ through the provider "GMO Tokutoku BB." I chose this one because it's reasonably priced, has no monthly limits on data, and, while it DOES have a 7 GB three-day limit, the throttled speed is 1MB/sec, which is still fast enough to watch a YouTube video at normal resolution. So for all intents and purposes, it offers you unlimited data.

+1 on WIMAX2+, definitely the best out there.

What's the signal coverage like?
Like underground, enclosed areas?
How much?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
What's the signal coverage like?
Like underground, enclosed areas?
How much?

So far I've only used it in the Tokyo area, so the signal has been strong and consistent, but they actually have a coverage map on the website and it looks pretty comprehensive, so unless you're deep in the countryside somewhere, you should be fine. It costs less than 3,000 yen a month, with the first couple of months costing only about 2,700 yen (be sure to disable the optional Wi-Fi service package that comes bundled with the router, since that costs an extra 300 yen or so a month).

I should also mention that the coverage and signal strength varies by model. I'm using the second-newest model by NEC, which has been giving me good results so far. Most sites will push the newest model hard, and on paper it seems to be the superior option, since it comes with technology that lets you use the LTE network whenever you're out of range of the WiMAX 2+ network. This means you should be able to get excellent coverage all over the country, including the countryside. I personally opted to avoid this router, however, because it's manufactured by Hwawei, a company which has been accused of installing backdoors in its products in the past. Heck, for all I know NEC could be doing the same thing for the Japanese government, but they've already had access to my data from my ISP for years (in theory), so there's no point in me trying to hide now :(

I haven't tested it underground yet, but I'll let you know what the connection's like once I do.

Reactions: TAG Manager
From my experience using Telecom Square Poquet Wifi, I can highly recommended.

There are several packages, with wifi, wifi +calls, and unlimited wifi that is the one I choose due the wifi in my hotel seems to be slowly and I'm 24/7 connected by Spotify, Netflix, whatssap, Line, Gmail etc..

It works with this plan around Tokyo and Kyoto for same rates.
You can choose depending on how many days, from 15-19 days, from 20-30 days (my package, I'm paying almost 13k after taxes,but it worth every penny.

You can pick up in several places, I choose picked up in Haneda airport and I will return it in Narita airport (there are hundred options depending on your location)

Good luck with your research

Finally got around to testing it underground, and I am happy to report it works like a charm.
Excellent work. Thanks for coming back to tell us about it. This may be the final winner.

The god damned iOS 10.x is blocking older VPN protocols and I cannot connect to certain systems that are not up to date on the latest protocols. (Not under my control...)
I'll have to get the WiFi device to ensure I can connect to what I want, when I want.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland