Guest viewing is limited

Newbie, seeking advice...

Domino

TAG Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot of the threads on here, so this might be a little redundant, but wondering if there are specific advice/tips/warnings that could help a first time HB goer.

I'm a single female, mid 20s, looking at possibly going to 9259 this weekend. From the sounds of what I've read, it tends to have a younger crowd (?) and a safer atmosphere for single women.

Japanese isn't a problem for the most part, so I was thinking of trying 9259 before Bliss Out, but for a first time HB experience, do you think that's a safe bet?

Also I've read quite a few write ups about what to expect at Bliss Out, but if anyone can share their (detailed) experience at 9259, that would be great.

Not really looking for someone to go with, might seem weird but I feel more comfortable going alone, but I still like to know what to expect.

Hi, 9259 is a good call for your first time. The staff there are very interactive, good at encouraging a fun atmosphere, and definitely do a good job taking care of newbies & single women.

Reactions: Domino
Thanks, that's reassuring.
I'm both really nervous, but also super excited, this is my first time exploring this side of myself, but it's something I've known I've been interested in for a while. Just recently found out that happening bars were even a thing.

That said, I'm still pretty shy/introverted. Do you think guys will approach me, or do you think they'll be more hesitant because I'm a foreigner?

I want to visit this weekend too,going there on Saturday will be my fourth time
Don’t you mind me joining you so that it will be cheaper for me lol
I know you said you are not looking for anyone to go with

Yeah pretty sure guys will approach you! Especially if they fancy themselves as good English-speakers. In any case the staff are good at getting people mingling and making introductions.

Might help to not go too early, when there’s a more low-key atmosphere, ppl sitting around drinking & chatting. Definitely tests your Japanese, I struggle sometimes. Gets livelier later, which is easier if you’re shy or if your Japanese isn’t quite fluent.

Japanese isn't a problem for the most part, so I was thinking of trying 9259 before Bliss Out, but for a first time HB experience, do you think that's a safe bet?
Should be ok as long as you have a Japanese health insurance card. Also bring your ID card.

9259 has a safer atmosphere than bliss because the play rooms are on the same floor and the staff is more on top of everything.
As for a safe bet as in many people, it looks usually busier at 9259, but it could also be because of the smaller space. I like the place since its cozy and friendly.

Do they take copies of our residence card and insurance card ?
For that matter, how is it at all these HBs ?

Do they take copies of our residence card and insurance card ?
For that matter, how is it at all these HBs ?
Most places do copy them for safety purposes, yes.
Bliss Out is pretty loose on it. Sometimes they don’t ask for ID. Sometimes they do (so bring one) but not for health insurance and i think they usually don’t copy the ID.

Reactions: Yeehawjapan
Most places do copy them for safety purposes, yes.
Bliss Out is pretty loose on it. Sometimes they don’t ask for ID. Sometimes they do (so bring one) but not for health insurance and i think they usually don’t copy the ID.
What is this health insurance card about? Is not enough with alien card and/or Japanese driving license? If you are on a private insurance system you don’t have that card. I have been to Bliss several years ago. As I remember it, alien card was okey.

It started last year after 9259 got raided by the police. They were closed for a few weeks, when they re-opened this new rule was in place and was also introduced at most other HBs at the time. Bliss & Retreat don’t do it though, I’ve been told it’s to do with whether on not the play rooms are a physically separate space from the bar area i.e. if not they have the insurance rule. Not sure exactly what the logic is though

Reactions: Lars Lust
If you are on a private insurance system you don’t have that card.

Going off topic but that is not correct. Because by law you are still required to enter one of the public insurances which then give you the card too.

Going off topic but that is not correct. Because by law you are still required to enter one of the public insurances which then give you the card too.
That is correct. But have you ever seen that enforced when it comes to non-Japanese?

If you are on a private insurance system you don’t have that card.

You're legally required to be enrolled in either kokumin hoken or one of the shakai hoken schemes if you are resident in Japan.

Fair warning - if your city office cottons to you not being enrolled, they can and do forcibly enrol people and collect up to two years of back premiums, which can be a rather bitter pill to swallow.

That is correct. But have you ever seen that enforced when it comes to non-Japanese?

Yes, quite a few times, actually. And there's legislation being debated now that would tie your pension and health contribution records to visa renewals and applications.

Reactions: MikeH
I’m sitting up taking notice. Thank you.
And with Mynumber it will be increasingly difficult to fall between various administrative chairs, I guess.

I’m sitting up taking notice. Thank you.
And with Mynumber it will be increasingly difficult to fall between various administrative chairs, I guess.

Exactly. Which is why they brought it in.

Reactions: MikeH and Lars Lust
I want to visit this weekend too,going there on Saturday will be my fourth time
Don’t you mind me joining you so that it will be cheaper for me lol
I know you said you are not looking for anyone to go with

I'll probably be going on Sunday, and I prefer going alone. But I hope you can find someone else to go along with.

Might help to not go too early, when there’s a more low-key atmosphere,

How early would too early be? Is around 9 considered early? My last train will be around midnight, so going to try not to miss that.

Should be ok as long as you have a Japanese health insurance card. Also bring your ID card.

9259 has a safer atmosphere than bliss because the play rooms are on the same floor and the staff is more on top of everything.
As for a safe bet as in many people, it looks usually busier at 9259, but it could also be because of the smaller space. I like the place since its cozy and friendly.

Thanks. I've got both insurance and ID, so I'll be sure to bring them.

I was also worried about them copying ids, but I'd assume that they're pretty good about privacy. Though id prefer if they don't copy the insurance card, since that has my workplace on it.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Re: ID. They just want to have some kind of ID. An insurance card is all many Japanese have, so they take that. You can also show them a drivers' license, a gaijin card, or a passport.

How early would too early be? Is around 9 considered early? My last train will be around midnight, so going to try not to miss that.

Well, I’d normally say to arrive maybe 10ish as the best of the action is usually after midnight, but if you’ll be leaving for last train then maybe go at 8 or 9. Just realise it’ll probably be quiet when you arrive. In any case, it’s your first time, but it doesn’t need to be perfect; just go, check it out, get comfortable with it, see what happens. You can go back any time, and getting your money’s worth isn’t an issue as a single woman!

Re: ID. They just want to have some kind of ID. An insurance card is all many Japanese have, so they take that. You can also show them a drivers' license, a gaijin card, or a passport.

Sorry but this isn’t accurate anymore. Some HBs these days (9259 and Sleeping Beauty) specifically require a Japanese insurance card and will not let you in without one, regardless what other ID you have. They now require photo ID plus insurance card.

Update: Went to 9259 last night and had a pretty good time. Tried a tiny bit of shibari which was fun. The staff were really good about encouraging us to relax and have fun. Only sort of bad part was one of the guys being really persistent, trying to open the curtains while I was showering/getting dressed, and pushing for me to explain why I didn't choose to play with him/what was so good about the guy I was with. That kinda soured the mood a bit for the rest of the time I was there, but didn't ruin it.

Thinking about going back tonight, but not sure. Looks like they're only open until 2 am tonight, and I was planning on doing the countdown in Shibuya.

Also they didn't make copies of any of my ids, I just had to write down the full information and they double checked it.

Glad it went well. Shame about the pushy guy, but unfortunately it happens sometimes. Just be firm, and if they don’t back off right away inform the staff.

btw did they ask you for J health insurance?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
There is always that ONE asshole.

I miss my old bar from university. One of the bouncers was very large, very scary, and (legitimately) very very very gay.

When a frat boy who wouldn't take no for an answer was on the scene, he would just start mercilessly hitting on him.

I like to think that more than a few of them learned something from the experience.

And that a few of them learned that what they really wanted was a solid dicking from a scary bouncer.

Well, I’d normally say to arrive maybe 10ish as the best of the action is usually after midnight, but if you’ll be leaving for last train then maybe go at 8 or 9. Just realise it’ll probably be quiet when you arrive. In any case, it’s your first time, but it doesn’t need to be perfect; just go, check it out, get comfortable with it, see what happens. You can go back any time, and getting your money’s worth isn’t an issue as a single woman!

Sorry but this isn’t accurate anymore. Some HBs these days (9259 and Sleeping Beauty) specifically require a Japanese insurance card and will not let you in without one, regardless what other ID you have. They now require photo ID plus insurance card.

Can confirm, last night at Sleeping Beauty they took my gaijin card and japanese health insurance card.