Nice to meet you everyone

Julienc

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am Julien, I arrived in Japan not so long ago, in the beautiful city of Nagoya.
I just joined this site, it is nice to have a place to share our experiences and recommandation.
I am not really familiar with Nagoya yet so do not hesitate if you know a good adress or have recommandation.

Nice to meet you all :)

Hello everyone!
I am Julien, I arrived in Japan not so long ago, in the beautiful city of Nagoya.
I just joined this site, it is nice to have a place to share our experiences and recommandation.
I am not really familiar with Nagoya yet so do not hesitate if you know a good adress or have recommandation.

Nice to meet you all :)

Hello,

welcome to Japan!

I have lived close to Nagoya a couple of years, many many years ago.
(It was before my starting with p4p so I cannot give infos and even so they might be outdated)

Compared to Tokyo and other cities, Nagoya is a bit subdued and people do not open up immediately. Even between Japanese there's the opinion that people from Nagoya are very difficult to get close with.
Anyway, being a foreigner it might ease up the first difficulties.

Before anything, you might want to visit the Nagoya International Center.
https://www.nic-nagoya.or.jp/en/
If the situation has not changed, there used to be a message board where you could post ads to meet friends and so on.
https://www.nic-nagoya.or.jp/en/

To go out and drink you can go to Sakae, Nishiki. Just going there and walking around might give you a good idea.
https://travel.gaijinpot.com/japan-...-foreigner-friendly-bars-and-clubs-in-nagoya/

Some very funny fertility festival (you have to change train a couple of times )
https://www.japan-experience.com/city-nagoya/honen-matsuri
https://www.japan.travel/en/spot/2348/

Once you get the hang and the feeling of the place, you can easily spot the sign that lead to fun places, that is the not allowed for minors (a guy with both hands open and an 18 written in between)
This mark is used outside the shops and the information booths
There might be guys with black suits who might invite you inside and after asking what you want, they will introduce some spots. (do not ask for straight sex, as it is illegal. You can try to negotiate with the lady once you are alone).
Or might flat out wave you away.

Maybe for the first time it might be easier to use a shop that caters to foreigners. Once you get the hang of it you can try adventuring.
https://nagoyaeroticguide.net/

and if your Japanese is enough, the local version
https://www.cityheaven.net/aichi/

There is book by a guy who has lived there for many years wrote. Half of it deals with him crying on himself, the rest has some hints, recollections, info on the Nagoya scene. And the guy bragging about how good he was... YMMV

Cheers

Thanks a lot for your answer Maikeru-san, I was not expecting such a detailed answer, this is really great thank you.

Next time you stop by Nagoya give me a sign, I'll treat you for a beer to thank you

I've spent a fair bit of time in downtown Nagoya as I'm always obligated to visit, but I've never ventured into the P4P scene and, to be honest, don't think there's much in the way for foreigners. If there is action to be had, it'll probably be in the Sakae area.

What I have done a lot of in Nagoya is what I do in every other prefecture, which is get shitfaced. And of all the bars I've tried in Nagoya, Y Market Brewing is by far the best for craft beers. It's near Kokusai Center Station, but you can easily walk there from the main Nagoya Station. That's the nice part about Nagoya--kind of like Sapporo--is that the "downtown" is so small you can just walk or cab it everywhere. Y Market isn't cheap, but if you like craft beers then it's as good as you'll get outside of Tokyo. There's also Keg Nagoya, but their shit was bland and overpriced.

Other than that, I would say that if you have an entire day to waste, you might consider taking the express down to Matsusaka and spend the afternoon stuffing your face with some fantastic wagyu. Going to the source it's about half of what you'd pay in a big city, and hitting places like Isshobin is something you should do at least once while in Japan.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy the leisurely pace and flow of things now because a year from now, once the civilized world is mostly vaccinated and almost back to normal, those lively Nagoya sidewalks are going to be overrun again by hordes of screaming, shoving Chinese tourists. Everything worth visiting will be packed, everything worth buying will be sold out and a walk downtown will no doubt ruin your day. I was in Japan last March, when China had banned its citizens from visiting other countries, and it was paradise on Earth. Unfortunately, nothing good lasts forever.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited:
Nagoya sidewalks are going to be overrun again by hordes of screaming, shoving Chinese tourists.
I dunno about that one - I think a lot of countries will be leery of allowing such unrestricted travel from China for a few years....

Reactions: just4fun
I dunno about that one - I think a lot of countries will be leery of allowing such unrestricted travel from China for a few years....

I'm already so emotionally-invested in the October vaccine arrival. Don't give me any more unrealistic hope.

Reactions: Sudsy
I'm already so emotionally-invested in the October vaccine arrival. Don't give me any more unrealistic hope.

Well, the vaccine will be there in October. Because the president needs to be re-elected and that will do the trick.

Another question is how effective the vaccine will be. That might be a moot point anyway as now when the virus has pretty much killed all the oldest and weakest it seems for the younger folks it's actually less dangerous than our seasonal influenzas so all we need to get the economy started is to people to believe it is effective.

Reactions: Sudsy and Keihan
Well, the vaccine will be there in October. Because the president needs to be re-elected and that will do the trick.

Another question is how effective the vaccine will be. That might be a moot point anyway as now when the virus has pretty much killed all the oldest and weakest it seems for the younger folks it's actually less dangerous than our seasonal influenzas so all we need to get the economy started is to people to believe it is effective.

Dr. Fauci and the FDA are saying that best-case scenario is a vaccine that's 70-80% effective, and if the vaccines being tested now are even 50% effective they're going to rush approval, so you're basically right. It's the psychological effect of having a vaccine that'll be all the excuse the world needs to get started again. And get me back to Tokyo.

The interesting part is how the seasonal influenza is going to play out this year, with everyone staying home, masking up, obsessively distancing, drenched in hand sanitizer and refusing to touch doorknobs. We may see the lowest numbers of flu deaths in recent history.

But OP...ENJOY THIS WONDERFUL TIME WHILE YOU CAN. I remember last March, after three hours of fine craft beers in Kanda, walking into the Akihabara Ippudo around 9pm and finding no line, sitting at an empty row of tables and getting to enjoy an Akamaru Ramen, gyoza and a couple of ticket beers in wonderful peace and quiet--minus the usual deafening cacophony of a five dozen Chinese tourists and a half dozen different Chinese dialects, screaming and howling over each other and banging their utensils around before rushing the cashier to bitch and argue in broken English to try haggling over the bill to get an extra 25 yen discount and then blocking the exit while twenty or thirty of them stand in the doorway tapping on their smart phones for directions to the Don Quijote so they can buy five year's worth of tampons and cosmetics.

It was a wonderful time. I just hope I can get one more trip to Japan before the restrictions are lifted and the Middle Kingdom happily re-deploys two million of its minions to Narita Airport so they can ruin the vacations of the rest of the world and probably spread the next plague that's waiting in a wet market or government lab as we speak. Hope springs eternal.