Olympics Lottery Registration

Most of the opening ceremony tickets have been allocated to sponsors and ‘VIP’
Heh, reminds me of the current state of getting tickets for a Toronto Maple Leafs game. :rolleyes:

It’s amazing how many bozos there are on social media who expected to be given Opening Ceremony tickets after applying for the cheapest categories. Lol
Funny cause I was thinking the same thing. I'm fairly certain that a big part of the "lack of tickets" issue is that a vast majority applied for the cheapest categories. At any rate, I'm actually open to the idea of paying a little bit more for that very reason. And even if I can't get tickets for the opening ceremonies, I'm pretty much open to attend any event to just experience an Olympics in person. Even an equestrian event if it comes to that....maybe.

Reactions: DireWolf98
Instead I would like to see what happens in the living quarters. The amount of condoms consumed is amazing and all those girls in top condition would be fun to follow
I've said this before but just imaging 2 (or more!) people at their physical peak just going at it, the imagination runs wild...

Funny cause I was thinking the same thing. I'm fairly certain that a big part of the "lack of tickets" issue is that a vast majority applied for the cheapest categories. At any rate, I'm actually open to the idea of paying a little bit more for that very reason. And even if I can't get tickets for the opening ceremonies,

It’s a numbers thing. 7 million people registered for tickets in Japan. More than 30 percent of tickets will go to sponsors and foreign countries Olympic associations.

There are about 8 million tickets available.

It’s brown trouser time for those wanting to go and are still without tickets....

Reactions: faboo2001
It’s a numbers thing. 7 million people registered for tickets in Japan. More than 30 percent of tickets will go to sponsors and foreign countries Olympic associations.

There are about 8 million tickets available.

It’s brown trouser time for those wanting to go and are still without tickets....
Unfortunately I couldn't get Opening Ceremonies tickets, but that's mostly because the site was extremely unstable due to the amount of traffic it was getting. I did however still manage to snag a couple of tickets for other events, so it looks I'm visiting Japan in 2020!! Very likely I'll be travelling solo as well, so there's a good chance I'll have plenty of opportunities to play around while I'm there!! Hopefully providers won't jack up their prices...

Reactions: AnotherTag
I did however still manage to snag a couple of tickets for other events, so it looks I'm visiting Japan in 2020!! Very likely I'll be travelling solo as well, so there's a good chance I'll have plenty of opportunities to play around while I'm there!! Hopefully providers won't jack up their prices...

Now you have to think about accommodation and flights. In the case of the London Olympics, some hotels jacked up the prices of rooms x 3. Other hotels were taken over with block bookings. Although, a few weeks prior to the games rooms came down in price, when the hotels realized regular tourists were avoiding London during the Olympic period.

The airlines will also be jacking up prices of direct flights to Japan from major airports in western countries. The thrifty will be booking Air Canada flights to Narita with a stopover in Lagos.....

The biggest issue for most TAG readers will be the availability of rooms at love hotels during the Olympics. I’ve got a feeling that Hillary Clinton lookalikes will be taking over love hotels with their henpecked husbands as they try to save a few dollars on their Olympics trip.

For anyone interested in stats. 0.13 percent of US applicants for the London Opening Ceremony actually got tickets.

I don’t think they will release the figure for Japanese applicants for the 2020 Opening Ceremony. Nor will we know how many tickets were given to VIPs or sponsors for the popular events.

Information below provided by Cosports - the official and only provider of Olympic tickets in the US.

Ticket Request Phase Results

During our ticket request phase, there was a great deal of demand for tickets to the London 2012 Olympic Games, resulting in many oversubscribed sessions. Below is some detailed information about the Ticket Request Phase.

· Number of Tickets requested – 199,516 tickets
· Ballot inventory available – 57,907 tickets

Based on the results above, the percentage of tickets confirmed will be low. However, we want to emphasize that we have allocated 100% of the tickets available that matched any of the requests. Also please realize that the London Organizing Committee is the entity that decides the allocation of tickets amongst the various country, and we simply act as an agent to sell what is allocated.

Top 5 Sports Requested and Expected Results from Ballot Process

1. Swimming – We expect to confirm 4.65% of the tickets requested

2. Athletics – We expect to confirm 20.05% of the tickets requested

3. Gymnastics Artistic – We expect to confirm 5.62% of the tickets requested

4. Football – We expect to confirm 26.69% of the tickets requested

5. Tennis – We expect to confirm 14.08% of the tickets requested

Top 5 Sessions/Categories Oversubscribed and Expected Results from Ballot Process

July 27, 2012 – ZO001 – Opening Ceremony - (CAT C) – We expect to confirm 0.13% of the tickets requested

July 31, 2012 – GA008 – Gymnastics Artistic - (CAT E)- We expect to confirm 0.69% of the tickets requested

August 2, 2012 – GA010 – Gymnastics Artistic - (CAT E) – We expect to confirm 0.72% of the tickets requested

August 5, 2012 – AT005 – Athletics - (CAT D) – We expect to confirm 1.12% of the tickets requested
K
July 29, 2012 – SW004 – Swimming - (CAT D) – We expect to confirm 4.80 % of the tickets requested

Now you have to think about accommodation and flights. In the case of the London Olympics, some hotels jacked up the prices of rooms x 3. Other hotels were taken over with block bookings. Although, a few weeks prior to the games rooms came down in price, when the hotels realized regular tourists were avoiding London during the Olympic period.

The airlines will also be jacking up prices of direct flights to Japan from major airports in western countries. The thrifty will be booking Air Canada flights to Narita with a stopover in Lagos.....

The biggest issue for most TAG readers will be the availability of rooms at love hotels during the Olympics. I’ve got a feeling that Hillary Clinton lookalikes will be taking over love hotels with their henpecked husbands as they try to save a few dollars on their Olympics trip.
Shockingly I've already managed to book a place when I'm in Tokyo. 7,000 yen a night too, so I REALLY lucked out. There is a big block of time in the middle of the Olympics where I've decided to head out of Tokyo for a bit to get away from the crowds, but I have yet to decide where to go.

Flights is what I'm really worried about. You can only book flights so far in advance and for whatever reason booking one way flights is far more expensive than a round trip, so I essentially have to wait until I'm able to book my return flight before I can lock that in.

Reactions: MossBoss
I did however still manage to snag a couple of tickets for other events, so it looks I'm visiting Japan in 2020!!

You must have decent tickets if you are coming to Japan.

Anyway, only half the tickets are available to Japan residents to purchase. After the sponsors and foreign visitors get their mits on the other half. The Japanese officials should have safeguarded more tickets for the tax-payers.

I’m sorted for the main tickets I wanted. But I have feelers out for more. Let’s hope Johnny Foreigner doesn’t plunder all the remaining tickets.

Reactions: faboo2001 and MikeH
The Japanese officials should have safeguarded more tickets for the tax-payers.

Yeah, strange that they didn't seeing how the tax-payers interest is normally the top priority with the Japanese government.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: faboo2001
Yeah, strange that they didn't seeing how the tax-payers interest is normally the top priority with the Japanese government.

Sounds about right for every other governments in the world. Special interests over common interests. Besides, what will the tax payers in Japan do? Vote for the other party? Not a chance since the last time they did that the other party screwed up pretty badly LOL.

Reactions: MikeH
Besides, what will the tax payers in Japan do? Vote for the other party?

On top of that it's Ishihara's Olympics anyway, not for anyone else. Guess how much he cares who they vote after he is gone?

Well, if they sell more to foreigners, they get more income from outside the country via flights, hotels, food, etc. People within country would just take a train, pack their lunches, and sleep at home.

You must have decent tickets if you are coming to Japan.

Anyway, only half the tickets are available to Japan residents to purchase. After the sponsors and foreign visitors get their mits on the other half. The Japanese officials should have safeguarded more tickets for the tax-payers.

I’m sorted for the main tickets I wanted. But I have feelers out for more. Let’s hope Johnny Foreigner doesn’t plunder all the remaining tickets.
Eh, kinda? I actually got REALLY good seats for some track and field events, but 2 other ones I got were kinda out of desperation and not wanting to settle for an equestrian event. But to be honest even if my tickets were crappy, I'd still want to come just to experience the atmosphere and actually be in an Olympic stadium for an event.

Any idea what the norm is for the percentage of tickets allocated to the home country? Or perhaps it depends on the country hosting?? As oLUXo stated, there may be financial reasons why so many of the tickets were allocated to foreigners.

Any idea what the norm is for the percentage of tickets allocated to the home country?

Always more or less. 50 percent available for sale to people in the home nation. 25 percent to foreign nations. 25 percent to sponsors, VIPs etc...

The officials will say more than 70 percent of tickets went to the Japanese. But it’s spin because only 50 percent were available to actually purchase.

I looked up the dates for the 2020 Summer Olympics. The games are scheduled for July 24, 2020 - August 9, 2020.

That period doesn't make much sense to me. Not only will it be mostly hot and humid, there is a chance of a typhoon hitting Tokyo then.

Although the 1964 Summer Olympic Games were a bit before my time, I read online that they were held from October 10, 1964 to October 24, 1964. From what I know of Tokyo's climate, October seems like a more reasonable period for an olympiad in Japan.

Last edited:
The temperature will be a concern. Although most outside events will avoid the hottest parts of the day. The organizers have also announced ways of mitigating the threat of heat already.

Being in the Olympic Stadium at 7:00 PM should be fine for most people.

The temperature will be a concern. Although most outside events will avoid the hottest parts of the day. The organizers have also announced ways of mitigating the threat of heat already.

Being in the Olympic Stadium at 7:00 PM should be fine for most people.

It would be fun to see the Olympians braving the heat to the finish line like true champs and see the beer-bellied, drunk, sweaty fans fall like flies after a good anti-bugs spray....

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Have the Olympics been undersold most of the time? I remember reading about events being barely attended and a lot of empty seats...

Rio was heavily under attended from what I recall. I think a lot of that was due to the fact that a lot of people were scared of going to Brazil. I want to say London packed them in pretty well. I imagine Tokyo will pack them in. Combine the facts that Japan is already being a bucket list destination for so many foreigners, has a reputation for being one of the safest cities in the world, and that it's so easy to get to the venues in Tokyo thanks to the top notch transport. That gives it more appeal to locals and foreigners alike than Rio where just getting to the city if you don't live there can be a hazardous journey and then the crime rates deter foreign visitors.

Reactions: AnotherTag
Rio was under attended due to the fact that widespread poverty still exists there. How many people in the shanty towns can justify spending $100 on a table tennis ticket?

After Tokyo, the Olympics will be held in Paris, LA and then most likely in Australia. All these Olympics will be massively oversubscribed.

I guess this will be the pattern from now on. Olympic Games held in places with decent economies and infrastructure. My guess is that Tokyo will hold another Olympics before Africa is given a chance.

It was ridiculous that in Rio they were spending billions on stadiums when the most basic of infrastructure doesn’t exist in many parts of the city.

It was ridiculous that in Rio they were spending billions on stadiums when the most basic of infrastructure doesn’t exist in many parts of the city.

Agreed. Most cities/countries lose millions if not billions on hosting the games. They build huge state of the art stadiums and facilities and sell them to the public by saying they will be used by local teams or people after the games but often they just end up abandoned. Lots of better things that money could go to. I think the IOC is finally realizing that they won't get hosts anymore with that model and are picking cities that already have most of the infrastructure in place for the games rather than having to build all new facilities. That will also help with attendance of course since these will be affluent cities to begin with.