Guest viewing is limited

Onsen - help with the right one please

Mwktm

TAG Member
Reaction score
Guys, sorry I know this topic has been beaten to a horrific death multiple times but I have some exacting standards. So please bear with me and help me out.

I am arranging a family visit with kids etc for a family of vegetarians. I know @roots reggae is the absolute boss in these matters so was hoping for his and others help with this one:

I am looking for a reasonably scenic place (I know most are but good views good be appreciated) near Tokyo or at a stretch Niseko/Sapporo. Key ask is a private onsen/bath in the room. Public baths won't cut mustard, the family is a bit shy which has been holding them back so far.

One without food being included would be good because I think it would extremely rude to refuse as the guests can't speak any Japanese. Vegetarian food be great although I am probably out of my mind...

Very many thanks to the kind souls who reply to the post!! Look forward to it...

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I am arranging a family visit with kids etc for a family of vegetarians. I know @roots reggae is the absolute boss in these matters so was hoping for his and others help with this one:

If you want to speak to him, you may want to send him a private message by clicking here -- he stopped visiting us regularly back in October. I'm sure he would pick-up and reply if he could offer some good info.

As suggested, Hakone may be your best and easiest option for what you require. I'm not personally familiar with places in Sapporo -- but Hakone is very family oriented and is probably the most flexible. Everything else I've seen and know well features public baths and lots of meat/fish. :whistle:

The option of an overnight stay without meals is called "sudomari" (or 素泊まり) and this option is available in many, but not all, onsen ryokans/hotels.

It would be really nice if the room has a private open-air bath though some of them are so tiny. Some onsen ryokans rent out mid-sized baths for private use (you may need to book your slot).

It would be difficult to find an accommodation which provides vegetarian/vegan meals. There are some temple-affiliated accommodations which serve traditional Japanese vegetarian meals (sho-jin ryori) but they usually in Kyoto area and don't come with onsens.

Hakone would be nice. Atami (by the sea near Hakone) and Echigo-Yuzawa (north-west of Tokyo: a skiing resort, too) are also easily accessible by train from Tokyo.

As suggested, Hakone may be your best and easiest option for what you require. I'm not personally familiar with places in Sapporo -- but Hakone is very family oriented and is probably the most flexible. Everything else I've seen and know well features public baths and lots of meat/fish. :whistle:

@Mwktn - I have been to Hakone before and stayed at quite a high end ryokan with decent sized private onsens but no massive "family" rental one where you schedule time. I do recall them asking me at check in about dietary restrictions and the kaiseki courses featured a lot of vegetable dishes. It is arm & a leg expensive though and I don't know what their budget is..

PS: I just looked the place up on TripAdvisor and a couple went and the lady found out she was pregnant and they prepared a completely different menu for her needs.

Breaking my lurker status to try to help out with this. I had veggie friends over a few years ago and feel your pain.

I stayed in a place in Hida Takayama which was willing to accommodate (although they still used Katsuo dashi, which my friends were willing to pretend they didn't know...) called Hidatei Hanaogi. It's a lovely ryokan, but it may be a bit far off.

TripAdvisor turned up this place in Nikko, which is obviously closer to Tokyo, and, although the review is old, their website does show a bunch of Yuba-centered food, so it seems like it would be worth a shot. Good luck!

https://www.tripadvisor.jp/ShowUser...l_Seikoen-Nikko_Tochigi_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Breaking my lurker status to try to help out with this. I had veggie friends over a few years ago and feel your pain.

I stayed in a place in Hida Takayama which was willing to accommodate (although they still used Katsuo dashi, which my friends were willing to pretend they didn't know...) called Hidatei Hanaogi. It's a lovely ryokan, but it may be a bit far off.

TripAdvisor turned up this place in Nikko, which is obviously closer to Tokyo, and, although the review is old, their website does show a bunch of Yuba-centered food, so it seems like it would be worth a shot. Good luck!

https://www.tripadvisor.jp/ShowUser...l_Seikoen-Nikko_Tochigi_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Welcome in from the darkness friend.. We don't bite .. Much! :eek::vamp:

Thanks!

Of course, I forgot to check about the bath situation...

Seikouen doesn't appear to have a private bath...

BUT this place is apparent vegan friendly and does appear to:
http://www.hachidory.com/hotel/00/id=501

The site in that link is, btw, a (Japanese language only) compilation of hotels offering vegan and vegetarian friendly meal options...

@Mwktn - I have been to Hakone before and stayed at quite a high end ryokan with decent sized private onsens but no massive "family" rental one where you schedule time. I do recall them asking me at check in about dietary restrictions and the kaiseki courses featured a lot of vegetable dishes. It is arm & a leg expensive though and I don't know what their budget is..

PS: I just looked the place up on TripAdvisor and a couple went and the lady found out she was pregnant and they prepared a completely different menu for her needs.
I have similar experiences. I went to both Atami and Hakone with Japanese daddies and the restaurants there have fixed me traditional Japanese meal in a vegetarian style, but the meals cost a lot. Both onsen had private baths, one really nice outside bath and the other had a regular looking bathtub inside but it filled with actual onsen water.

Reactions: Mwktm
We recently did a day trip to Tenseien in Hakone. They do have reservable baths in addition to the public baths (though we only used the public baths).Very nice place (lot of geinojin have gone there) and we're definitely staying over next trip to Japan. Don't remember if they had a vegetarian option foodwise, but you might want to check them out. http://www.japanican.com/en/hotel/detail/4306031/?ar=1406

Don't ask, don't tell philosophy when it comes to broths and seasonings will be very helpful.

Keep in mind that many onsen towns are small. Visitors stay at meal-inclusive inns, so there are not a lot of other restaurants.

Imo Kyoto is the best town for vegetarians.

Ryokans serve lots of vegetable dishes and based on my experience all you have to do is explain in the comments or special requests section or when they ask you about food allergies, and then they will just not serve you meat, fish, and seafood with your meals.

I've been to Yoshiike ryokan and Laforet club in Hakone and both of them had private baths. I went there with a vegan but I don't think they offered any vegan/vegetarian food on the menu. But on both occasions we asked the kitchen to make special dishes for my partner and so they did. If I remember correctly both places were quite expensive.

Guys, sorry I know this topic has been beaten to a horrific death multiple times but I have some exacting standards. So please bear with me and help me out.

I am looking for a reasonably scenic place (I know most are but good views good be appreciated) near Tokyo or at a stretch Niseko/Sapporo. Key ask is a private onsen/bath in the room. Public baths won't cut mustard, the family is a bit shy which has been holding them back so far.

One without food being included would be good because I think it would extremely rude to refuse as the guests can't speak any Japanese. Vegetarian food be great although I am probably out of my mind...

Very many thanks to the kind souls who reply to the post!! Look forward to it...

Mwktm,

Let me give this a little thought while I clear away the cobwebs. My wife and I have trekked onsens around Japan since 2002, from the hidden hot springs to more popular ones.

One that comes to mind, from 2003, is Hotel Sun Valley Izu-nagaoka Waraku, on the Izu Peninsula. They have five private hot springs that you reserve. Not in the room, but still nice. Not sure if a no meal plans are available. Waraku is an annex to the main Hotel. I remember it being reasonable in price. The main hotel is a ten minute walk or they provide a shuttle upon request. The main onsens are there for use, as well. Food is in the form of a nice buffet, mixed western and Japanese, at least back then. I believe there are many dishes your friends might be able to eat. You can check with the hotel.

Here are links, one to the hotel, one in English with a map, and a TripAdviser review:

http://www.izu3800.jp/hotel/waraku.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...raku-Izunokuni_Shizuoka_Prefecture_Chubu.html

https://onsen.nifty.com/la-en/izunagaoka-onsen/onsen002874/

Mwktm,

Let me give this a little thought while I clear away the cobwebs. My wife and I have trekked onsens around Japan since 2002, from the hidden hot springs to more popular ones.

One that comes to mind, from 2003, is Hotel Sun Valley Izu-nagaoka Waraku, on the Izu Peninsula. They have five private hot springs that you reserve. Not in the room, but still nice. Not sure if a no meal plans are available. Waraku is an annex to the main Hotel. I remember it being reasonable in price. The main hotel is a ten minute walk or they provide a shuttle upon request. The main onsens are there for use, as well. Food is in the form of a nice buffet, mixed western and Japanese, at least back then. I believe there are many dishes your friends might be able to eat. You can check with the hotel.

Here are links, one to the hotel, one in English with a map, and a TripAdviser review:

http://www.izu3800.jp/hotel/waraku.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...raku-Izunokuni_Shizuoka_Prefecture_Chubu.html

https://onsen.nifty.com/la-en/izunagaoka-onsen/onsen002874/

OMG. Risen from the dead.... Good to see you and thanks for your post! :)

Reactions: MikeH
OMG. Risen from the dead.... Good to see you and thanks for your post! :)

The Rasta Zombie Apocalypse has begun. The only sanctuary is a room with a private onsen near Tokyo.

I really recommend one I've written about before, Amagisou. They do have rooms with private baths, but they are more expensive. The family can always go the swimsuit route for the impressive waterfall rotenburos. The hotel rents suits if guests need. The onsens are not hot enough for me, but still very much worth it for the view. They do offer a no meal option. There are places to eat nearby, but still require a car to access.

It's a 2 hour 35 minute train ride from Tokyo. Click on their access link for directions. The site is in English:

http://www.amagisou.jp/hotel-eng/room/

This is from my earlier post:
https://tokyoadultguide.com/threads/onsen-adventures.10692/page-2#post-65241

Here's a site that covers Japan. I've narrowed down the search to onsens near Tokyo with a private bath:

http://selected-ryokan.com/?ryokan-cat=private-use-hot-spring-baths&location=tokyo-suburbs

Last edited:
Don't ask, don't tell philosophy when it comes to broths and seasonings will be very helpful.

Keep in mind that many onsen towns are small. Visitors stay at meal-inclusive inns, so there are not a lot of other restaurants.

Imo Kyoto is the best town for vegetarians.

I can completely second that. One of my most terrible vacations was with a vegetarian girlfriend in Japan.
Almost all places will go out of there way to create special vegetarian meals for you, the only problem is that their definition of vegetarian doesn't match yours.
The easy part back then was to convince them that fish is also a no go. Still today many japanese friends don't consider fish a problem when they want to go eat vegetarian. Of course they are no vegetarians and just think it's trendy / healthy / fashionable.
The real problem us that many basics of Japanese kitchen are off the table, if you are a strict vegetarian. Dashi, miso etc. are all not completely "clean". People who are not specifically schooled in this weird dietary disorder :p will use those with no bad will.

The best is to not dig too much into broth or seasonings, otherwise be really well prepared to what is and isn't ok for you.

Unless you are allergic which is normally not the case, you will normally not notice that the food isn't 100% clean. So best advice is to not Google yourself to death. My ex was happily eating udon and soba until she had to find out what exactly dashi is made off :D

Soybean + salt only as far as I know and wife is very intuitive to this. Miso origin make a difference according to which Japanese person you speak to. IMO it's all salty unless you are taking white vs dark.
Ha ha
What is inside of miso? I know miso soup has fish dashi but does pure miso also have something in it?

What is inside of miso? I know miso soup has fish dashi but does pure miso also have something in it?

Tbh, I never double checked this fact. I learned early enough that it's a waste of time to discuss about such things with her;)
you might be right, as she has been mainly eating soup before putting miso on the ban list:p. I mainly eat misokatsu or miso ramen, so both is off anyways.