Pandemic reaches Kabukicho

It was a matter of time. Hope that my favorite bar owners in Golden Gai who are older are safe and healthy :(

Reactions: JohnnyWalker
> male street touts were prominent among those infected.

Does it make me a bad person to wish that all the touts have it?

> male street touts were prominent among those infected.

Does it make me a bad person to wish that all the touts have it?

yes because they can transmit it to innocent non-Touts

yes because they can transmit it to innocent non-Touts
How about if I wish them to have a rapid onset version that renders them harmless in less than an hour?

Reactions: Pk24 and bergmann
No shutdowns, the Japanese Way will be to reassign large numbers of sprightly ojisans from the Bicycle Parking Enforcement Teams and the Please Do Not Smoke on the Street Teams and the Municipal Illuminated Baton Waving and Whistle Blowing Reservist Pool to flood the area (between 10am and 6pm) handing out leaflets and urging the cooperation of minna-sama in enacting jishuku with through repetitive megaphone announcements. They may be backed up by a couple of policemen cycling around menacingly on their bicycles.

No shutdowns, the Japanese Way will be to reassign large numbers of sprightly ojisans from the Bicycle Parking Enforcement Teams and the Please Do Not Smoke on the Street Teams and the Municipal Illuminated Baton Waving and Whistle Blowing Reservist Pool to flood the area (between 10am and 6pm) handing out leaflets and urging the cooperation of minna-sama in enacting jishuku with through repetitive megaphone announcements. They may be backed up by a couple of policemen cycling around menacingly on their bicycles.
You really nailed it there. Only thing I'd add is a cute girl in a short skirt handing out tissues. (And if it were Shinagawa, then a Jehovah Witness, and an animal shelter)

Reactions: bergmann
Wouldn't be surprised to see a member here catch it from going there in the past few weeks

Wouldn't be surprised to see a member here catch it from going there in the past few weeks

Yeah, there is always a chance..let's hope not. i am still not sure if P4P is the most dangerous bit about daily life. Public transortation, going to a cafe/fast food place with cramped seats seems like much more likely places to catch it. If you meet with a girl, that's one potential source of transmission, if you sit in a Matsuya with 20 people in your vicinity that seems more dangerous. Would really help to have an expert opinion about that.

Would really help to have an expert opinion about that.

Would probably not help as a decent expert would say "we really don't know for sure". But I think at one point around one third of the newly found cases in Tokyo were traced back to hostess clubs...

It might be that in order to get infected you need to spend longer time in a closed space with the spreader. So like sitting next to a hostess talking to her and not like standing in a train where the doors open fully every few minutes.

Would probably not help as a decent expert would say "we really don't know for sure". But I think at one point around one third of the newly found cases in Tokyo were traced back to hostess clubs...

It might be that in order to get infected you need to spend longer time in a closed space with the spreader. So like sitting next to a hostess talking to her and not like standing in a train where the doors open fully every few minutes.

You are right....transmission of germs is probably also possible if you just stand next to an infected guy on the bus, but probability is quite low. If you sit next to a hostess talking, it's not only aerosols in the air but also the usual spit droplets while speaking. Probability goes up...if you kiss goes up again.

You are right....transmission of germs is probably also possible if you just stand next to an infected guy on the bus, but probability is quite low. If you sit next to a hostess talking, it's not only aerosols in the air but also the usual spit droplets while speaking. Probability goes up...if you kiss goes up again.

It has been relatively often repeated over all formats that crowded places with little ventilation are the prime hotspots identified so far. Now Hostess clubs are not exactly crowded normally, but one of the sales points is being close together. Ventilation on the other hand is not such a strong point here.

On the contrary public transportation is usually crowded, though not so much this week, but there is a constant air flow from the top, which is said to significantly reduce the risk in airplanes for example. Not to forget that people here wear masks (wherever they get them), unlike in the hostess clubs.

If the subways were a major way of transmission, we would very likely already see a much higher number of infections in Tokyo. There have been as early as in January been cases if infected people commuting daily from the farthest corners of Chiba or Saitama, yet that apparently didn't lead to many cases. We will probably only know in a year or two for sure.

A couple days ago, Dr. Fauci was explaining his opinions on vicinity infections and it was his opinion that you would have to be in an enclosed space and in very close contact with an infected individual for 15-30 minutes in order to be likely infected. Take that for what you will. I'm also assuming that situation also assumes the infected individual doesn't just fucking cough or sneeze on you directly and seal the deal.

It does seem like public transportation can be a major breeding ground, particularly in cities where the vast majority of residents commute by train or subway...which would explain why NYC is on fucking fire right now and Chicago and D.C. are following suit. I suppose the fact that Tokyo isn't following the disastrous track is probably a testament to Japanese just being more hygienic and obedient about safety measures than your average filthy American urban dwellers.

A prominent doctor gave an interview yesterday begging Trump to enact an immediate and total federal shutdown (basically martial law) of the entire country for 14 days, promising that if we were willing to deal with that drastic measure we would see an absolute drop-off of the new cases and get this under control. At this point, I wouldn't have a problem with that. They just gotta give me a few days notice so I can stockpile more vodka, soda water, tv dinners and hand lotion.

Reactions: Frenchy
It does seem like public transportation can be a major breeding ground, particularly in cities where the vast majority of residents commute by train or subway...which would explain why NYC is on fucking fire right now and Chicago and D.C. are following suit. I suppose the fact that Tokyo isn't following the disastrous track is probably a testament to Japanese just being more hygienic and obedient about safety measures than your average filthy American urban dwellers.

Westbound Chuo Line at Kanda just before 6pm Thursday evening: had seats available. Stayed remarkably uncrowded to Kichijoji, where I got off. Estimated 97% of passengers wearing masks. Windows open. Unless you're going round licking the grab straps, need to be damned unlucky to pick up a spray of virus. YMMV.

Unless you're going round licking the grab straps, need to be damned unlucky to pick up a spray of virus. YMMV.

Don't even mention grab straps. Shit gives me panic attacks. I refused to touch those things even before this pandemic. I used to drunkenly swing from those fucking things in my 20s, but somewhere around 30 I developed severe germophobia. I'm becoming very, very neurotic in my old age.

And yet, I still pay perfect strangers to wash me with their nude bodies, stick fingers up my ass and make me blow my load all over myself.

Westbound Chuo Line at Kanda just before 6pm Thursday evening: had seats available. Stayed remarkably uncrowded to Kichijoji, where I got off. Estimated 97% of passengers wearing masks. Windows open. Unless you're going round licking the grab straps, need to be damned unlucky to pick up a spray of virus. YMMV.

This week trains have become remarkably less crowded. Kind off clicks together with numbers in Tokyo raising and Koike San shutting down the weekend.

I walked past ueno park this week and everything is sealed off now. Wasn't the case last week.

Well I TOFTT and cut through Kabukicho on the way back because YOLO and all that and fuck me it was dead, reminded me of the week after 3/11 but with more lights and less background radiation.

Asian Feeling/Relax have shut down from the 3rd to the 13th. Expect plenty of other Kabukicho venues to follow suit.

Not quite Kabukicho but the square next to Takadanobaba station where students tend to congregate in large numbers, particularly at this time of the year (and which has been shown on TV as an example of how the youth of today are Not Getting The Message) was being patrolled by a couple of rentacop keibiin , presumably with the intent of obtaining the cooperation of said young persons in refraining from congregating in a non-social distanced manner.

Asian Feeling/Relax have shut down from the 3rd to the 13th. Expect plenty of other Kabukicho venues to follow suit.
I think it's not only kabukicho. I have been distracted, but I think I saw news on the TV that a lot of bigger chains shut down for that period, like Jonathan's. Don't remember the others, but I lived very close to a Jonathan's before. Was kinda the fallback where I never even went once ;)