Passport Delima.

just4fun

Skeptical? Who me?
Reaction score
I have a friend living in Japan from Canada and he has a "Half" 23 year old son who's thinking of going to Canada for 6 months for....I don't know......let's say a change of scenery. His Japanese passport has expired but his Canadian is still good. He kept his Japanese citizenship but wants to stay longer in Canada longer than the minimum 90 days. I think he's concerned as to what name can he put on his new passport as he wants to keep both in case options open for him there. Understand what I'm saying here?

As long as he has a valid Canadian passport, why can't he stay in Canada as long as he wants? (Assuming he enters on Canadian passport)
When he wants to renew his Japanese passport, I think he can renew it however he'd like since he's already had one.

My recommendation is to renew the Japanese passport, exit Japan on Japanese passport and enter Canada with his Canadian passport.
I don't know the exact rule on dual-citizens with Canada...

Reactions: DireWolf98
My recommendation is to renew the Japanese passport, exit Japan on Japanese passport and enter Canada with his Canadian passport.
I don't know the exact rule on dual-citizens with Canada...
It'll be 2 different names...........

It'll be 2 different names...........
I don't think it matters? So long as the paperwork is in order, he should be fine.
I do know that with the Japanese passport - you cannot change your name info unless by marriage or divorce (female) or court order. (For males, it's possible if they are adopted by the wife's family upon marriage to carry their family name)

Reactions: just4fun
I have a friend living in Japan from Canada and he has a "Half" 23 year old son who's thinking of going to Canada for 6 months for....I don't know......let's say a change of scenery. His Japanese passport has expired but his Canadian is still good. He kept his Japanese citizenship but wants to stay longer in Canada longer than the minimum 90 days. I think he's concerned as to what name can he put on his new passport as he wants to keep both in case options open for him there. Understand what I'm saying here?

He should renew his Japanese passport before he goes, but otherwise, he'll enter Canada on the Canadian one, the Japanese one doesn't matter at all. He'll need the Japanese passport to re-enter Japan.

He'll need the Japanese passport to re-enter Japan.

Being a Japanese citizen he can enter with an expired passport or even without one; though that adds extra unnecessary hassle to the process. So just renew the Japanese passport as always before leaving the country.

I know several people who have two passports with completely different names (both first and last) and that is not a problem at all. It is totally legal to be Yamada Taro in Japanese passport and John Smith in the US one.

Being a Japanese citizen he can enter with an expired passport or even without one; though that adds extra unnecessary hassle to the process. So just renew the Japanese passport as always before leaving the country.

I know several people who have two passports with completely different names (both first and last) and that is not a problem at all. It is totally legal to be Yamada Taro in Japanese passport and John Smith in the US one.
Over the age of 20?

Over the age of 20?

The age when you have to decide which nationality keep is actually 22 as they give you two years to think about it after becoming an adult. Still even after that the different names are not the problem; having two nationalities could be.

Except in real life it isn't, unless you are a world class athlete or a politician. For other people no Japanese government agency cares; they know there are hundreds of thousands of people with dual nationality and they do their best not to know it officially.

Even if the guy comes back from Canada and hands the Canadian passport to the immigration officer in Narita the only comment they will have is "no, the other passport please".

When he is renewing his Japanese passport they even have a square to fill there if you have other passports. Just mark it for "yes" because lying in official papers is not a good idea. Even in the renewing process nobody cares about that "yes".

In theory, they could revoke his Japanese citizenship.

But it's purely a theory, because they have never revoked the citizenship of a blood-born Japanese national.

They have only, since the change of law in the 80s, revoked the citizenship of naturalised citizens who declined to renounce their other citizenship(s).

And its, dilemma , in proper english , thanks!
(Ah ah... thats for scolding me because once I used « concert » instead of « show » ;))

(Ah ah... thats for scolding me because once I used « concert » instead of « show » ;))
You were the best help in this....thanks a lot!!! :p:p:p

Reactions: Frenchy
I wasn’t going to point it out... but the first time I read it I was wondering if this person was Peruvian as well... Passport de Lima.

I wasn’t going to point it out... but the first time I read it I was wondering if this person was Peruvian as well... Passport de Lima.

Reactions: Sudsy