Guest viewing is limited

People Dropping Stuff

majimekun

TAG Member
Reaction score
I don't know why but the Japanese people seem to keep dropping stuffs like money, umbrellas and phones.
There is no one single day when I don't witness a drop.
Have the Japanese slippery hands or what?
Or am I just paranoid?

People here drop things easily because it usually comes back to you easily? Or people are too spoiled, think their belongings are easy enough to replace it?

That reminds me, I have "lost" a piece of my lingerie at hotel.
I was surely wearing it when I came to the hotel but couldn't find it when I left. Asked to the client of course.
But he kept saying "that's strange..." without even looking at my face. I don't think I had slippery hands there.

My friend has lost her phone at least 4 times on a air plain.
She is American. How about that?

Agree, perhaps this is why I saw many were holding a cracked screen iPhone :p
Those crackers need to get new phones. How can they even use those pieces of junk?
Good phone cases are the key. The ones which you can close that cover the whole phone, not just the covers on the back. I have never gotten a crack in my phone despite dropping it a few times but i have cracked my friend's phone once by giving them a back slap while they had their phone loosely in their hand and it fell... You can get the screen on your phone fixed, its pricey but still cheaper than a new phone.

Reactions: Wwanderer
I left my phone on a city bus. Went crazy trying to find it for 2 days before finally having some Local friends help. Called Taxi companies and what not nothing, before finally my friend asked why don't we try the bus company. Not only did they have it, but apparently it went all the down to another city and back and found it way to the lost and found, still in pristine condition. Try that in the states and you are buying a new phone.

I was lucky enough that when I lost my phone in a mall, it was in Japan, where I had it returned to me by some off-duty cops.

Guys, the topic isn't about forgetting your stuff somewhere, it's about people who accidentally let their stuff crash on the floor.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
One of the reasons I love living here. People return things. There was a news piece a year or so ago that said in Tokyo/Kanto alone, people returned 28$ million in cash and property. Small items I leave on a post or something. Valuables I try to find a policeman or authority figure. I never, ever walk away with something. Being gaijin I would probably be blamed for theft.
I don't see too many people just dropping things unless they are drunk or mother's with 2-3 young kids hanging all over them. lol. I avoid the drunks and help the mothers. It is kawaii.

While it's true that you're more likely to have your lost belongings returned to you here than in many other countries, it certainly isn't guaranteed. I learned this the hard way. I once left my DS along with about ten games on the bullet train once (about 50,000 yen worth of merchandise). Despite hours of searching and calling, I never got it back. I'm sure I made some otaku very happy that day...

As for people dropping things, think twice before you pick the article up and return it to the owner, especially if it's a wallet. Some people deliberately drop wallets in an effort to ensnare foreign Good Samaritans. While I don't think this scam is widespread, I directly witnessed it happen to my friend a few years ago. What happens is they drop the wallet in front of you, and when you predictably pick it up to return it to them, they claim that money is missing from it and that you must've stolen it. If you don't pay them, they go up to the nearest police box and get them involved--and we all know how that ends, especially if the foreigner speaks minimal Japanese. Luckily, in my friend's case, he ended up trying to hand it off to the wrong person and unintentionally made things awkward by getting random bystanders involved, so the girl who "dropped" the wallet abandoned the attempt and probably went off to look for another mark.

Again, most likely a rare occurrence, but just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Definitely a Chinese scam. If it ever happens to me I'll throw the wallet onto the tracks and begin recording. For some reason based on the goodwill experiences I've received and given, I doubt I'll ever get the chance.

Last edited:
I dropped my phone once and couple of times where I juggled it while I was there for 2 weeks. Must be something in the air!....or me being sleep deprived.

And when they drop stuff it has to be so loud that it wakes you from your nap or startles you into an almost heart attack or in general creates a stir!