People staying home due to severe hayfever?

Wtf. Dude, in the context of allergies, the generic term “steroid” refers to corticosteroids, not the anabolic androgenic type of steroids which is where you’re likey getting the immunostimulatory info from. Bad hay fever, basically an overly active immune system response to allergens in the air, can be treated with the use of corticosteroids to suppress the immune system. And different from the allergy shots that try to get you desensitized to the specific allergens, corticosteroids just go and blunt your immune system response. Suppressed immune system = less reaction to the allergens = more comfortable during allergy season. But that immune system suppression that’s giving you the relief, and the fact that you’re using exogenous hormones to get it, is where all the side effects come into play.

Not claiming that anything you are saying is wrong, but I went to my allergist today to get refills on my medicine. I was talking to him about possibly receiving a steroid injection, but he didn't recommend it as the side effects for some people can be severe and long-lasting. He even recommended the sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) option instead, which requires taking the medicine everyday for 2 to 3 years straight.

Since sublingual immunotherapy is a pain in the ass, I just told him that a refill on my allergy medicine is all I will be needing this year lol.

Reactions: NorthTriangle
By the way, if you think this isn't a good idea and most Japanese people are unwilling to cut down trees...what ideas do you have to fix the problem?

There is no market for the wood as cheap imports have taken it all. Subsidy the Japanese trees and they will be cut.

Also researchers have already produced a genetic variation of sugi that does not produce pollen. Let them start planting then now and in just short 20 years or so you'll be symptom-free!

Reactions: Ken1988 and Sudsy
Wtf. Dude, in the context of allergies, the generic term “steroid” refers to corticosteroids, not the anabolic androgenic type of steroids which is where you’re likey getting the immunostimulatory info from. Bad hay fever, basically an overly active immune system response to allergens in the air, can be treated with the use of corticosteroids to suppress the immune system. And different from the allergy shots that try to get you desensitized to the specific allergens, corticosteroids just go and blunt your immune system response. Suppressed immune system = less reaction to the allergens = more comfortable during allergy season. But that immune system suppression that’s giving you the relief, and the fact that you’re using exogenous hormones to get it, is where all the side effects come into play.
This is in alignment with everything I have read. Corticosteroids have been around for a long time. The upsides and downsides, risks and benifits, are understood pretty thoroughly at this point. My understanding is that the risks of occasional usage in small doses outweigh the risks. At least for me they do. But there is always going to be some Weisenheimer who thinks he knows better. Anabolic steriods got a bad rap because of abuse by body builders and sex changers. Corticosteriods are abused by professional atheletes to reduce inflamation. But there is a huge area of legitimate and safe use.

Reactions: Acid Burn
Not claiming that anything you are saying is wrong, but I went to my allergist today to get refills on my medicine. I was talking to him about possibly receiving a steroid injection, but he didn't recommend it as the side effects for some people can be severe and long-lasting. He even recommended the sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) option instead, which requires taking the medicine everyday for 2 to 3 years straight.

Since sublingual immunotherapy is a pain in the ass, I just told him that a refill on my allergy medicine is all I will be needing this year lol.
I think you should try the immunotherapy enema.

Well, that would definitely save more money for Japan.

Sounds a bit harsh though lol.

By the way, if you think this isn't a good idea and most Japanese people are unwilling to cut down trees...what ideas do you have to fix the problem?
It is not a problem any more than about a million other nuisances in this country that nobody seems interested in fixing. And big pharma, the doctors and NHI love it.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
And big pharma, the doctors and NHI love it.

Two out of three... NHI doesn't like spending on anything they don't have to.

I just don't understand the Japanese government' s priorities.

I know they need to pay a lot to the US for military defense, but they keep focusing what seems like most of their attention on arbitrary things like removing Buddhist manji symbols from public maps so that retards don't mistake them for Nazi symbols, clearing adult mags from combini, etc.

The reason I think it is strange is because I thought the Japanese government cared at least a little about their people (pride of the Japanese) which is a good thing...but maybe they have adopted the don't give a shit, let our own people die mindset the US government has had for a very long time.

Reactions: NorthTriangle
He even recommended the sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) option instead, which requires taking the medicine everyday for 2 to 3 years straight.

Do you take a daily multivitamin? Just do it at the same time to lessen the inconvenience? Idk though, daily meds are a pain for me too but I get more irritated having to constantly go to the pharmacy to refill the meds. But for allergies, I’m still lucky I only need OTC stuff as needed this time of year where I’m at.

I know they need to pay a lot to the US for military defense, but they keep focusing what seems like most of their attention on arbitrary things like removing Buddhist manji symbols from public maps so that retards don't mistake them for Nazi symbols, clearing adult mags from combini, etc.
Clearing out adult mags from conbini’s saddens me. Conbini’s in Japan are where I bought my first adult magazines. Haha.

Do you take a daily multivitamin? Just do it at the same time to lessen the inconvenience? Idk though, daily meds are a pain for me too but I get more irritated having to constantly go to the pharmacy to refill the meds. But for allergies, I’m still lucky I only need OTC stuff as needed this time of year where I’m at.

Clearing out adult mags from conbini’s saddens me. Conbini’s in Japan are where I bought my first adult magazines. Haha.

I don't take any multivitamins, but I sometimes take vitamin C when I'm just feeling bad in general.

I actually never really look at the adult magazines as in open them up, but I enjoy just the moment I walk by and glance at them when I go to the combini to buy a drink, snack, use the ATM, take a piss, etc.

The idea of looking over and not seeing them, does sadden me too...especially since they are getting rid of them to appease foreign visitors who will bitch and complain when they see them....instead of you know...be open to a different culture.

I'm curious if anyone on here is allergic to both Sugi and Hinoki?

And if you are allergic to both, how would you compare the symptoms from each?

Does anyone get itchy eyes from Sugi and Hinoki?

The symptoms are almost the same for me, but the main difference seems that Sugi makes my eyes more itchy while Hinoki seems to cause more asthma (which I haven't suffered from this year so far)....probably due to the Hinoki pollen being smaller than Sugi pollen. Hinoki pollen most likely is able to go through the surgical masks I wear, so I started wearing 2 masks of different types to filter it out better. Seems to be working well so far.

I'm curious if anyone on here is allergic to both Sugi and Hinoki?

And if you are allergic to both, how would you compare the symptoms from each?

Does anyone get itchy eyes from Sugi and Hinoki?

The symptoms are almost the same for me, but the main difference seems that Sugi makes my eyes more itchy while Hinoki seems to cause more asthma (which I haven't suffered from this year so far)....probably due to the Hinoki pollen being smaller than Sugi pollen. Hinoki pollen most likely is able to go through the surgical masks I wear, so I started wearing 2 masks of different types to filter it out better. Seems to be working well so far.
Stop asking perverts for advice on allergies! Stop wearing two fucking masks! Go to allergists until you find one who gives you treatment that works! Enough already!

Stop asking perverts for advice on allergies! Stop wearing two fucking masks! Go to allergists until you find one who gives you treatment that works! Enough already!
images.jpeg

Ok, ok...I will stop.

Washable masks, lot of people from my company are using and telling wonderful things about them. Check them out, seriously, apparently they are sold everywhere, including convenience stores.

Would it be possible to have hay fever for only 1 year? Last year I had it for the first time ever and it was terrible. This year I have absolutely no symptoms.

Would it be possible to have hay fever for only 1 year? Last year I had it for the first time ever and it was terrible. This year I have absolutely no symptoms.

That is weird as hell, but I believe it is possible. You aren't wearing masks or clothes to protect you from pollen when you go outside?

Maybe there is something you are doing differently this year that you weren't last year?

Exercising more, better sleep schedule, eating healthier, etc?

Yes. I had been living in Tokyo already for more than a decade when I got it really bad one year. The doc was more puzzled than me, he took the test and then didn't believe the result because "gaijins don't get kafunsho".

But he got me on some medication and it went away in a few weeks. It has been over a decade now and after that never had it. Knock on wood!

Reactions: cabbie
That is weird as hell, but I believe it is possible. You aren't wearing masks or clothes to protect you from pollen when you go outside?

Maybe there is something you are doing differently this year that you weren't last year?

Exercising more, better sleep schedule, eating healthier, etc?

Nothing of that sort. However, this year I was out of the country at the beginning of HF season and returned in the middle of it. I was dreading it when I came back. No symptoms since I returned about 10 days ago.

Yes. I had been living in Tokyo already for more than a decade when I got it really bad one year. The doc was more puzzled than me, he took the test and then didn't believe the result because "gaijins don't get kafunsho".

But he got me on some medication and it went away in a few weeks. It has been over a decade now and after that never had it. Knock on wood!
Very interesting. I got meds last year. HF didn't go away but the symptoms abated a bit. This year nothing. Knock on wood.