Guest viewing is limited

Please respond if you got your PR while unmarried

Once you have a PR that's it. You have it. Having a PR makes that non-issue from a visa standpoint. I think the only way you can lose your PR is if you commit some sort of crime or leave Japan for an extended period without a re-entry permit.

Once you have PR married, bad marriage whatever doesn’t matter. People get PR so they don’t have to depend on visa from work, or being married. Your relationship has no status on your PR or being in Japan now.

PR means you don’t have to stay married and don’t depend on her for a visa.

tenor.gif

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
They are indeed financially responsible to get your ass back on a plane off this island when you fuck up and lose your PR, etc.

Well if my current guarantor is my wife and she hates me...is there a way for me to change my guarantor to someone who doesn't hate me (like a trustworthy Japanese friend)?

Even though I'm married, this should be possible with PR or can you not change your guarantor?

Well if my current guarantor is my wife and she hates me...is there a way for me to change my guarantor to someone who doesn't hate me (like a trustworthy Japanese friend)?

Even though I'm married, this should be possible with PR or can you not change your guarantor?
I do not know; never has come up before. (Changing the person, I mean... at least to anyone around me.)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I do not know; never has come up before. (Changing the person, I mean... at least to anyone around me.)

Have I stumped TAG?

I do realize that I ask some strange/difficult questions at times. Hopefully someone can answer this...who knows it might be me who figures it out and shares it on here someday lol.

Have I stumped TAG?

I do realize that I ask some strange/difficult questions at times. Hopefully someone can answer this...who knows it might be me who figures it out and shares it on here someday lol.
Sorry, I've never heard of a PR holder changing it... there has never been a reason to that I'm aware of. I honestly don't think it's possible, actually.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

Highly doubt that is possible. If anything that would just raise red flags (sham marriage) so it doesn't make any sense if they allowed that. If your marriage is bad and you don't have kids you should just divorce. It doesn't affect your PR so you don't have to be worried.

They are indeed financially responsible to get your ass back on a plane off this island when you fuck up and lose your PR, etc.

Sorry, Chris, but this is actually incorrect.

A PR holder's guarantor is not financially liable in any way - if a PR holder is deported, they and they alone are financially responsible.

If they are unable to pay for the air fare, they will be held in immigration detention until they can make arrangements to pay. This will either be through family/friends, or in some cases, via a repatriation loan from the embassy. Recipients of a repatriation loan surrender their passport and are unable to receive a new passport to travel outside their home country until the loan is repaid.

What DOES happen to the guarantor if the guaranteed person fucks up is that the guarantor will be unable to act as a guarantor for future applicants.

You cannot, and it would not be necessary to do so in any event. Your guarantor has no actual duties or responsibilities once the application process is done.

My question is now that I have PR, I know that it is possible to live separately from my wife, but here is my new question...would it be alright to almost never visit her here in Shizuoka (where my registered address is) and just make direct deposits into her bank account (which she is OK with)?

Our marriage is bad, but we both are not ready for a divorce just yet (there are some factors I would rather not get into). Would immigration be suspicious or make a big deal out of me literally never visiting my wife?

You legitimately have PR. You were married when you applied, they granted it. You can get divorced, live separately, live together, or shack up with another couple in a permanent foursome for all they care.

If someone fraudulently obtained PR, then they are at risk of the fraud being exposed and reported to immigration, but your application (from the details you gave us) was just a little dodgy, not actually fraudulent.