Guest viewing is limited

Premium Friday

iamyuu

TAG Member
Reaction score
Sigh, my company is not one of those adopting the Premium Friday initiative (urging its employees to leave work early on the last Friday of each month, with the hope that they will spend more money).
Anyone here lucky enough to get to leave early today at 15:00?

Nope! Most of us are working until 19:30 because we have massive projects to complete before 3/31 and the timelines are already skewed ... Means more hours per day to catch up in order to avoid missing the deadline and taking a penalty on our fees.

I bet the governers don't know the reality of a "real" working life here in Japan. I thought PM. Abe should have a chance to experience work for a week at a major company, for ex. Rakuten or Dentsu, to see the reality of working life in Japan.

I think go home by 17:00 campeign would be more appropriate, and a good state. 15:00??? lol.

In addition, I left my work at 18:00, 30 mins over time, then went to meet a client from 19:45-21:45.
(*´꒳`*)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
In addition, I left my work at 18:00, 30 mins over time, then went to meet a client from 19:45-21:45.
(*´꒳`*)
Do you get paid for that 30 minute? or, do they just stiff you with a flat salary and no overtime?

Do you get paid for that 30 minute? or, do they just stiff you with a flat salary and no overtime?

I get hourly paid, so the answer is, yes, I get paid for that half an hour extra work!! And my hour rate raises more if it goes more than 8 hours a day.

I used to work at a small company, where you don't get paid over time at all, even it mentioned in the contract, that we should be paid for more than certain hours over time, but that never happened to anybody in that company, even someone worked 50 hours more than her contract fixed time, never got that paid. So, maybe that's more of the reality.

I get hourly paid, so the answer is, yes, I get paid for that half an hour extra work!! And my hour rate raises more if it goes more than 8 hours a day.

I used to work at a small company, where you don't get paid over time at all, even it mentioned in the contract, that we should be paid for more than certain hours over time, but that never happened to anybody in that company, even someone worked 50 hours more than her contract fixed time, never got that paid. So, maybe that's more of the reality.

I guess, in general small companies they don't want emps to work over time, pay for that extra money to dig out from their annual account budget. But I still hear some traditional minded OL work over time, to get paid a lil more to cover her high mentenance, livining cost. When that idea come accross, I think noone would want to hire someone like that these days, but at the same time, she makes less than myself, even dedicated for scores...

So, I bet noone really be happy going home early by PF campeign, I'm certainly not. Thus, the idea wouldn't last very long, I think...

I guess, in general small companies they don't want emps to work over time, pay for that extra money to dig out from their annual account budget. But I still hear some traditional minded OL work over time, to get paid a lil more to cover her high mentenance, livining cost. When that idea come accross, I think noone would want to hire someone like that these days, but at the same time, she makes less than myself, even dedicated for scores...

So, I bet noone really be happy going home early by PF campeign, I'm certainly not. Thus, the idea wouldn't last very long, I think...

Annual heads account

I don't work for a company right now but the former company I was working at is one of these 東京都中央卸売市場 Metropolitan central wholesale market, in other term, Tsukiji fish market:) Encourage the employees to finish by 3:00pm?
Well, they always finish by noon except the end of year.

Last edited:
I don't work for a company right now but the former company I was working at is one of these 東京都中央卸売市場 Metropolitan central wholesale market, in other term, Tsukiji fish market:) Encourage the employees to finish by 3:00pm?
Well, they always finish by noon except the end of year.

That sounds like a really tough, traditional world! Guys dominate over ladies, you got to work hard for every single min, like? But,.good life experience? (^_^*)

Reactions: Manami TMK
Our company adopted it, but very half assed. No meetings could be booked after 3, and they "encouraged" people to go home at 3.

Saw only 1 person take advantage of the offer, who left around 4pm. I would definitely have left at 3, but had to wait for other people to finish so we could go drinking.

Whilst companies in Japan are dreadful for working hours, the employees need to take a lot of the blame. Even when encouraging them to take holidays, work less overtime their refusal to take advantage (and just stare zombie like at their PC) of this needs to be addressed if things are going to change.

The number of Japanese workers in our office who never use any annual leave is truly absurd.

The number of Japanese workers in our office who never use any annual leave is truly absurd.
Absolutely... I can't believe how many of my coworkers are dumping vacation hours each year because they barely touch it. We're a large company and vacation is generous, especially if you've got at least 5+ years in. At max, I think you can bank 9 weeks of vacation time... after that, it's just truncated each year.

I think the problem is that even if the company "encourages" them to take vacation or leave early, they don't want to be the first to jump up and walk out the door because it looks like they are least committed to their job.

I have friends who work at Rakuten, the software engineering department is good. You can fuck off whenever you like as long as your work is on schedule.

The marketing department is apparently a hell hole though.

I work from home and Friday is when it starts getting busy in my job.
Non stop stressing work from 12:00 to 22:00 Worst day in the week.

My company did premium Friday but you need to use your vacation to take advantage of it. Also not having it on the last Friday of the month might be a good idea, as that's when people tend to be the most busy

My company where I work now, is on a trial based but have "Premium Friday" on a different week by the Government stated.

It's actually nice to leave office at 15:00!!! How refreshing! And the weather is great today. Trains are not much crowded at this time. Can't believe I'm in Sales dept. but can go with this. It's amazing! ٩( ᐛ )و Happy Friday, everyone!