Guest viewing is limited

Proof of Marriage for Japanese

you can get PR without being married or have japanese relative

the gov't just makes someone (another PR holder or a J cohort/your wife/etc) to make sure you behave and ship your ass back to your country if you die here

the gov't just makes someone (another PR holder or a J cohort/your wife/etc) to make sure you behave and ship your ass back to your country if you die here

That's a misconception. The "guarantor" of a PR applicant has no legal obligations, they're just going on record as saying they think the person is moral and worth keeping in Japan.

The only thing that happens if they're wrong is that they can't be guarantor for another applicant.

That's a misconception. The "guarantor" of a PR applicant has no legal obligations, they're just going on record as saying they think the person is moral and worth keeping in Japan.

The only thing that happens if they're wrong is that they can't be guarantor for another applicant.

yep i know .. but it *really* scares friends you talk to when you want help (i.e. them to sign the form)

Reactions: Sudsy
yep i know .. but it *really* scares friends you talk to when you want help (i.e. them to sign the form)

Well, guaranteeing the moral conduct of one of us reprobates.... I can see why. :D

Christ, just tell them that you haven't had sex with your spouse since you signed at City Hall. They'll believe you!

I always thought if you had PR then it meant you were either a spouse or child of a Japanese national, and if you're a middle-aged white guy then shouldn't it be obvious?
I have PR & I don’t fit into that stereotype at all. That’s also why I’m asking.
I don't either and obtained PR as well, within less than 10 years in fact... yet again, not in the typical experience column.

I tried posting this morning but it didn’t go through.
To keep things very vague I was trying to duplicate a business model that was thought to help someone out in the future to maintain their visa.
The more I looked into the model that supposedly worked the more I realized the people were just married & their business model would not work to support a visa.
This question came up because I realized that no one else realized this.

I know lots of people who have permanent residency without fitting any of those stereotypes, single black women, divorced Latino men, even a couple of transsexuals. The only requirement if you’re not married is that you have 10 years in the country, and if you’re a highly skilled professional, that can be as low as one

This would only be for people that are not married that are applying for PR status for the first time yes?

I obtained PR status while still being married, but if I turn in my papers this week (everything is finally in order after a phone call to City Hall to ask) and divorce, I know it will not effect my PR, but I have no requirement to live in Japan 10 years since I was married before yes?

I'm only going on living in Japan 5 years, so after divorce if I'm required to have been living here 10 years, then I failed that big time haha. I don't think I'm required the 10 years because I got married correct?

I'm also hoping being a "highly skilled professional" isn't a future requirement for me after I get divorced. Then again, I don't think I'm required this either because I was married.

This would only be for people that are not married that are applying for PR status for the first time yes?

I obtained PR status while still being married, but if I turn in my papers this week (everything is finally in order after a phone call to City Hall to ask) and divorce, I know it will not effect my PR, but I have no requirement to live in Japan 10 years since I was married before yes?

I'm only going on living in Japan 5 years, so after divorce if I'm required to have been living here 10 years, then I failed that big time haha. I don't think I'm required the 10 years because I got married correct?

I'm also hoping being a "highly skilled professional" isn't a future requirement for me after I get divorced. Then again, I don't think I'm required this either because I was married.

If you have PR now, it’s done and not going to change unless you leave Japan and don’t return.

It’s a shame because people are gaming the PR system by being married for 1-3 years, getting PR and then divorcing the person they used to get the PR.

If you have PR now, it’s done and not going to change unless you leave Japan and don’t return.

It’s a shame because people are gaming the PR system by being married for 1-3 years, getting PR and then divorcing the person they used to get the PR.
... that’s smart

Well, in my case I'm not using my wife for PR. I actually wanted to stay married to her and make things work. She is always nagging at me for every little thing and doesn't even try to improve our relationship, her mother hates me. It is just endless and I have no choice but to divorce or end up another marriage zombie that is just hoping for a car or train to hit me.

Show me a guy whose mother-in-law doesn't hate him and I show you a guy who has never been married.
My mother in law loves me.

Mostly because she’s tiny and I go over to do all the household chores that require being taller than 150cm once a month, and then take her for a grocery run to Costco.

Bribery will get you places.

How many times do we have to tell you that you already have PR, they won’t take it away unless you fall into one of the categories that get you dropkicked out of the country regardless of visa status.

Reactions: MikeH
My mother in law loves me.

Mostly because she’s tiny and I go over to do all the household chores that require being taller than 150cm once a month, and then take her for a grocery run to Costco.

Bribery will get you places.

I used to do many chores for my mother in law, but she never appreciated it one bit...in fact she would go a step further and say, hey it is commonsense that you help out!

I used to do many chores for my mother in law, but she never appreciated it one bit...in fact she would go a step further and say, hey it is commonsense that you help out!
You were living under her roof at the time, and nearby afterwards. Of course that’s common sense...

You were living under her roof at the time, and nearby afterwards. Of course that’s common sense...

I mean that I kept helping her out with chores after I started living far away from her.

I mean that I kept helping her out with chores after I started living far away from her.
You were still in the same municipality. That’s not far. I have to drive through Saitama to get to my MIL.
And seriously... it’s not the distance so much as the part of it being through Saitama....

You were still in the same municipality. That’s not far. I have to drive through Saitama to get to my MIL.
And seriously... it’s not the distance so much as the part of it being through Saitama....

Yes, I agree that Saitama sucks. Even Shizuoka is better than Saitama haha. Well, in my opinion at least.

Yes, I agree that Saitama sucks. Even Shizuoka is better than Saitama haha. Well, in my opinion at least.

Well, with that one you are not alone. Everyone in Tokyo and most of the people in Saitama agree with you.

I used to have a girl who lived in the bowels of Saitama so we sometimes met half way; which of course was still in Saitama. But the hotels there were so cheap and she so good at sucking that I almost started to like the place. :confused::D

Reactions: just4fun and Sudsy
Sucks so hard that Tokyo has a prevailing south wind....

Shizuoka sucks as far as the job market for English schools, but I must say the weather is some of the best in all of Japan. It is like the southern California of Japan. Yes, Saitama is super humid along with Gunma, Tochigi, etc.

If you can’t figure out how to get your Japanese mother in law to like you, then you are almost certainly an idiot and a loser and you deserve to be disliked. Maybe some mothers in law are unreasonable bitches, but most of them are decent, middle-class people who just want their daughters to be taken care of, and of course, they want grand children. So 1) make money and cover the financial bases 2) don’t be a dick 3) make some babies, or at least one anyway 4) learn to speak Japanese. If you do these minimal things then you will get along fine. If you don’t then you will not be appreciated and, yes, you are a loser and an idiot. Have a nice day.