Proper introduction.

Thrthrthr

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Been around a week or so but thought I'd officially say hi and introduce myself.

Believe it or not I stumbled upon TAG purely by accident while translating the "options" from a site a friend had sent me. Google Translate wasn't helping and I'm his resident weeaboo.

After a bit of browsing I learned a lot about the "night life". I've been dry since high school so I took a dip. With all the help TAG had given me - I felt it was only right if I gave back.

Don't want to provide too much info about myself, but I'm a young 20s something American who's a little overweight from working a desk job since I was 18. Hopefully the improved diet and the constant walking/biking will help put me be back at a healthier weight.

I returned to Japan because I wanted to improve my Japanese. I visited once a few years back for tourism and saw everything I wanted to see.

I have a dream to live here, but the more I look into it the more it's seeming like a pipe. My only "realistic" option seems to be marriage. Any, and I mean any, advice on this front is fully appreciated.

よろしくお願いします!

Nice to meet you, at least in the virtual sense.

I know some people (Americans mostly) who have made the move and are now living in Japan, some for as many as 10+ years. Actually, there's a lot of TAG members that live in Japan so you could probably get some good advice here. I don't reside in Japan but my wife does and there was a lot of research and preparation that went into getting her set up over there. But it can be done if you really want to.

Most English speaking foreigners make their way into Japan (at least initially) as English teachers at conversational English schools called "eikaiwa". There are hundreds if not thousands of these all over Japan. I could go on for pages about that but I won't. I'll wait for questions if you have any. This would be the most likely route of entry for a young man like you. It gets you a work visa and a one year contract (at most places), which is a foot in the door that you can exploit later.

As far as marriage goes, you could find a nice girl over there, get married, have kids and stay forever. But in your early 20s, I don't think you'd want that, especially since you don't have an established career.

I'll do the rude American thing and ask if you have a college degree and if so, what subject is your major. Japanese people consider those important and it can kind of determine your future options.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
No college as I went straight from high school to a stable career in web development. Even finding work in the same field doesn't matter if I have 8 years of experience - no degree, no door. Doesn't stop me from looking and sending out my resume though I'm not expecting to hear back from any of the companies, maybe I'll get lucky...

I'm aware it's a much bigger deal in Japan.

Thanks for the reply!

So as you have returned - what visa are you on? I'm not trying to pry - just get some information to help if I can. I know that Japan will allow you to be sponsored for a work visa if you have either a) a degree or b) 7 years of relevant experience for the job you will do here. I guess the main problem would be finding a sponsor - which you probably know more about for your field than I could help you with.

I would advise you to not marry just for the visa. Don't even marry if the visa is any part of the list of reasons to marry. In fact, I would advise you to do as the Irish and not marry until you are at least 35 years old. Really, you will thank me if you follow this advice.

Reactions: Mischa Maxwell
Hi, would studying for a degree not be your option? There are some undergraduate courses where English is the language of instruction, sort of, and where they are desperate in recruiting international students, offering scholarships. With student visa, you can work up to 28 hours per week. I guess you've researched these things already, but just in case.

Welcome!!!

And wow... how refreshing to read an introduction on this thread from someone giving a proper introduction, rather than a pathetic plea on how to get lucky, cheaply and easily, in Japan.

We look forward to hearing of your experiences, both good and not so good-throw in the in-betweens, as well, please.

No college as I went straight from high school to a stable career in web development. Even finding work in the same field doesn't matter if I have 8 years of experience - no degree, no door. Doesn't stop me from looking and sending out my resume though I'm not expecting to hear back from any of the companies, maybe I'll get lucky...

I'm aware it's a much bigger deal in Japan.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for your response. Hope I didn't put you on the spot. Just trying to understand your situation.

Do you have an idea of what you want to do in Japan? There aren't many choices for foreigners at first but there are ways to move towards what you want later. Putting in the time is a big factor.

So as you have returned - what visa are you on? I'm not trying to pry - just get some information to help if I can. I know that Japan will allow you to be sponsored for a work visa if you have either a) a degree or b) 7 years of relevant experience for the job you will do here. I guess the main problem would be finding a sponsor - which you probably know more about for your field than I could help you with.

I would advise you to not marry just for the visa. Don't even marry if the visa is any part of the list of reasons to marry. In fact, I would advise you to do as the Irish and not marry until you are at least 35 years old. Really, you will thank me if you follow this advice.
No visa, 90 days stay. Same as my last visit. I'm looking into visa options but most were off the table with a full-time job. I was supporting myself and 2 others, so quitting my job for school was never an option.

Also there was a reason I scare quoted marriage. I would never marry just for a visa - and I'm highly doubtful I'll find the love of my life searching 3 months at a time on occasion.

Hi, would studying for a degree not be your option? There are some undergraduate courses where English is the language of instruction, sort of, and where they are desperate in recruiting international students, offering scholarships. With student visa, you can work up to 28 hours per week. I guess you've researched these things already, but just in case.
The issue with a degree is my job. Unless I got a full scholarship it's unlikely I could quit my job and afford both school and general living.

Thanks for your response. Hope I didn't put you on the spot. Just trying to understand your situation.

Do you have an idea of what you want to do in Japan? There aren't many choices for foreigners at first but there are ways to move towards what you want later. Putting in the time is a big factor.
Not at all! Don't worry about it.

Ideally I'd find a job in web development, even if it's for a start up company. I have 8 years of experience in my field - thought 10 was the requirement but another poster is saying 7. So far no luck with the resumes I've sent.

If a company puts in the requirements that you must be a resident or have a working visa already - should I bother applying hoping they'd sponsor me? I imagine it's a "straight to the trash" scenario.

In America a lot of requirements will be overlooked or aren't actually requirements. I'm not sure if that's the same in Japan.

thought 10 was the requirement but another poster is saying 7.

Please look into this before you take my word for it. I know it used to be 7 years but I've been a permanent resident so long that none of that concerns me anymore.

Good to hear you seem to have your head on straight about getting married. I've known guys who felt trapped in disastrous marriages partly because their only possibility for a visa was via their spouse so divorce meant leaving their career in Japan and going home jobless.

If a company puts in the requirements that you must be a resident or have a working visa already - should I bother applying hoping they'd sponsor me?

I would say this is one of the requirements that they would stick to. Sponsoring a visa requires quite a lot of effort and paper work from the company and if they specify you need to have a visa already in the job description it is most likely they have decided it's too much hassle.

If you have something that they cannot find in Japan then of course everyone would be willing to at least think about sponsoring. Try some specific knowledge about 5G or IoT and you might have a chance.