NorthTriangle

TAG Member
Reaction score
I’ve fucked up my neck from ignoring a whole set of red flags:

Neglected regular exercise
Didn’t go to the usual physio
Worked all night a few times and didn’t bother to try recovering
Bad bad posture
Ignored constant chronic pain from shoulder along both sides of neck , peaking at base of skull; it’s the kind of chronic pain that idiots like me put up with until a spark of intelligence makes you realize how bad it is.

Will probably make a run to the physio if they can fit me in. However it’s Friday and realizing if I miss that window, the weekend will be pretty much shit.

Thinking of Ai in Shimbashi as my backup plan ....

I went to Ai in Shimbashi once. Oops. Twice. Neither were long sessions with a HE - just serious one hours only. The neck can be tricky though - can any regulars chime in?

Last edited:
Reactions: Simonka
With neck pain I concur - nothing to mess around with.

Agreed, neck is tricky. I have chronic shoulder pain which creeps up to my neck and then up to my head and eyes if I ignore it too long. After a doc told me massages don't fix it I found Ai-chan and she fixed it. So I became a believer.

Though here 1) I knew it was from the shoulder, and 2) I did get it checked by a doc before and he agreed massage don't make it worse either.

I’m not sure if that’s helpful but maybe give acupuncture a try?
My acupuncturist is currently treating an injury but also focuses on my neck at the same time. I definitely feel less pain there.

Bad bad posture
Ignored constant chronic pain from shoulder along both sides of neck , peaking at base of skull; it’s the kind of chronic pain that idiots like me put up with until a spark of intelligence makes you realize how bad it is.

Will probably make a run to the physio if they can fit me in. However it’s Friday and realizing if I miss that window, the weekend will be pretty much shit.

I went to Ai in Shimbashi once. Oops. Twice. Neither were long sessions with a HE - just serious one hours only. The neck can be tricky though - can any regulars chime in?

I haven’t been to Ai’s place but I frequently visit my chiropractor and massage therapist to treat old injuries and prevent new ones.

Necks are trickier than shoulders. I’d suggest:

- Visit an orthopedist first. Make sure it’s not a bulging disc or inflammation. It’s probably not a disc related issue but you should see a medical professional first before finding holistic remedy. In my experience sometimes anti inflammatory meds, painkillers and muscle relaxants prescribed by a doctor help a lot.
- If it’s confirmed it’s a posture related issue then I’d recommend a mix of chiropractor and massage therapy. Massage therapy relaxes your muscles but chiro fixes the core of the issue. Chiro can help with misalignments and bad posture, so that your poor muscles don’t have to compensate anymore.

Definitely see a professional first & take care

I would see a doctor, like most others have said you don't want to mess around with your neck. I'm not here to argue about alternative medical providers but acupuncture has already been debunked. Chiropractic can help with short term back pain but cervical manipulation has serious risks and was found to be no better than placebo.
Get a doctor to do an x-ray at least so you can rule out any serious problems. I hope it's just muscle pain and I wish you the best.

I would see a doctor, like most others have said you don't want to mess around with your neck. I'm not here to argue about alternative medical providers but acupuncture has already been debunked. Chiropractic can help with short term back pain but cervical manipulation has serious risks and was found to be no better than placebo.
Get a doctor to do an x-ray at least so you can rule out any serious problems. I hope it's just muscle pain and I wish you the best.
Yea that cracking shit that chiropractors do has been proven over and over to have zero therapeutic value, yet people still do it. Acupuncture too has been shown over and over again to have no measurable benefit.

Bad bad posture

Please go to a real doctor. Like one you need to use your health insurance for. Dont fuck about with your neck / head.

that cracking shit that chiropractors do has been proven over and over to have zero therapeutic value

It has been shown to have slight therapeutic value for certain types of lower back pain, and carries with it a large amount of risk of exacerbation of damage. In a handful of countries it's actually illegal, and in many nations it's strictly regulated to limit them to work on a limited range of muscular/skeletal conditions only. If you're in Japan, better to go to a seikotsuin, who will do a better job and will refer you to an actual doctor when necessary.

Acupuncture too has been shown over and over again to have no measurable benefit.

The Mayo clinic hasn't quite ruled it out, but they note that simulated acupuncture (poking but not actually penetrating) appears to work just as well as the real thing, and that acupuncture appears to work better in people who expect it to work, suggesting that the effect is largely placebo. They do note that acupuncture won't make a problem worse, so it's physically harmless to try it.

It has been shown to have slight therapeutic value for certain types of lower back pain, and carries with it a large amount of risk of exacerbation of damage. In a handful of countries it's actually illegal, and in many nations it's strictly regulated to limit them to work on a limited range of muscular/skeletal conditions only. If you're in Japan, better to go to a seikotsuin, who will do a better job and will refer you to an actual doctor when necessary.

The Mayo clinic hasn't quite ruled it out, but they note that simulated acupuncture (poking but not actually penetrating) appears to work just as well as the real thing, and that acupuncture appears to work better in people who expect it to work, suggesting that the effect is largely placebo. They do note that acupuncture won't make a problem worse, so it's physically harmless to try it.
In summary: Both are Bullshit.

Reactions: Negi77
In summary: Both are Bullshit.

Oh yeah, no doubt. Maybe my language was a little too flowery.

Scientifically reviewed, fully assessed, certified, particularly odoriferous bullshit.

Reactions: Negi77
Thanks for all the advice.

I ended up getting tied up all day Friday until late, and sleeping in & vegging out yesterday seemed to help.

Saw this old re-run of Fresh Prince which kinda reminded me of my own situation...( although I look nothing like Uncle Phil & don’t have a sore back ):

I know a conventional X-ray at the ortho is likely to reveal little ( although it’s been a while since I had it done ). This ortho hospital clinic in Meijiro http://www.mejiro-seikei.com/checkup.html has an MRI though - and I might even be able to get it included in my annual physical.