Guest viewing is limited

Question regarding T Point and Ponta card

ShibaKen

TAG Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if a local address(and maybe some form of identification) is required to get these 2 cards. I'm interested in getting them, but do not reside in Japan. Just thought it would be convenient to have like a Suica, since I buy a lot from Family Mart and Lawson whenever I'm in Japan.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
The first time I got a T Point card, they just handed it to me when I asked. After that, I just registered my email online but it wasn't required to use.

Now, I have a combined charge card with T Point function, that's more involved obviously.

T / D / R Points are only good if you want to earn 1 Yen for 100,000 YEN in purchases. You earn jack shit from them; like most of Japan loyalty card programs.

The best points to earn is credit card bonuses (US credit cards). 100,000 Ultimate Rewards points for Chase Reserve. You can fly from Tokyo to most part of Japan on JAL 11 times (11 round trips) just from the one credit card bonus offer.

T / D / R Points are only good if you want to earn 1 Yen for 100,000 YEN in purchases. You earn jack shit from them; like most of Japan loyalty card programs.

The best points to earn is credit card bonuses (US credit cards). 100,000 Ultimate Rewards points for Chase Reserve. You can fly from Tokyo to most part of Japan on JAL 11 times (11 round trips) just from the one credit card bonus offer.
I thought with the T-point card you get 1 yen for every 100 yen you spend?
It ends up for me in a free dvd from tsutaya sometimes, its not bad.

yeah.. something like that... I was exaggerating a bit. I think it is 1 YEN for 200 YEN in purchases and occasionally 1 YEN for every 100 YEN. It's pretty much useless, especially when you're comparing with US credit card cash back with loyalty points.

Coupons in Japan are like 10 YEN or 20 YEN savings, whereas in the US there are shopping hacking or coupon stacking where you can get 30%-50% off retail.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
yeah.. something like that... I was exaggerating a bit. I think it is 1 YEN for 200 YEN in purchases and occasionally 1 YEN for every 100 YEN. It's pretty much useless, especially when you're comparing with US credit card cash back with loyalty points.

Coupons in Japan are like 10 YEN or 20 YEN savings, whereas in the US there are shopping hacking or coupon stacking where you can get 30%-50% off retail.
Thats true, discounts here are silly.

Reactions: Yuriko
Keep using when you buy something, so that it just piles up. I find it's annoying, when the cassier says "do you have a TPC"?. Customers should be used to TPC by now, and I myself, I have 2 cards, and one of them I'm getting near 1,800 points, but recently I sometimes use it when I buy stuffs, so it's less than a thousand points now, but I get points by daily shopping at FM as well as paying my expensive softbank phone bill.

The most pain is that, you got to register Yahoo website, and I forgot which yahoo email I am registered to TPC, that I have 2 cards now, but can't conbine into one!!! The registered one's magnet is becoming unstable, so that I can't use it to pay with for sometimes...

What can I do...( ̄∇ ̄)

Anyone use love hotel point cards? Certain people on TAG could rack up some serious points....

Reactions: ShibaKen and MikeH
Ugh... Of course you need to compare value on what you are planning on doing with the points or rewards you get from each various program.

I'm an avid user of T Points since I use Yahoo! shopping to buy import or bulk stuff you can't get in a store, I get a lot of extra bonus points. I use the bonus points to buy more items from the Yahoo! store just on points alone. (Usually, somewhere from 3-7,000 yen worth)

The points you get in a coffee shop are on a different system but it nets me a free coffee after a while. (The shopping points aren't the same as the cafe points)

As for credit cards, my SMBC/ANA card nets me airline miles as well as about 20,000 yen in visa prepaid cards every couple of months.

recently paid 2500 yen for a Pasha room using points ...

and the Happy Hotel app has a point system.
Yes, JHT has an amazing cash back systhem once in a while.
I'm always tempted to make hotel membership cards but i think it may look "bad" to use them somehow? Especially since i'm not the one who pays for the room.

Yes, JHT has an amazing cash back systhem once in a while.
I'm always tempted to make hotel membership cards but i think it may look "bad" to use them somehow? Especially since i'm not the one who pays for the room.

get the point card ... use it when you meet a traveling client (one off meetings) that does not care about the points :) some local guys might not bother with the card too ... e.g. one less thing to hide from GF, wife

Ugh... Of course you need to compare value on what you are planning on doing with the points or rewards you get from each various program.

I'm an avid user of T Points since I use Yahoo! shopping to buy import or bulk stuff you can't get in a store, I get a lot of extra bonus points. I use the bonus points to buy more items from the Yahoo! store just on points alone. (Usually, somewhere from 3-7,000 yen worth).

Yes, this for sure. Also look into services like Rakuten where using the group's services gets you points you can then cash in elsewhere in the group.

I use the Rakuten marketplace a shitload, usually with my Rakuten card, and the hefty point bonuses you can accumulate during offer season have absolutely helped get me enough points for significant discounts on hotel stays booked through Rakuten Travel.