Ratio / Percentage of Girls rejecting foreigners at shops

okayspot

TAG Member
Reaction score
So after being rejected by a art-school student girl, that based on her store blog has the exact same hobbies/interests/fashion style as me.
I've noticed the ratio of girls that reject foreigners in shops that allow foreigners is all over the map: just from my experience (I have Fluent, JLPT 1, by my accent incredibly obviously non-native level of Japanese) Young not-bad looking Caucasian

1. Delivery girl place with utterly adorable lolita concept young girls 18-22 near where I live also incredibly highly-priced 36,000 yen for 120 minutes with coupon;
Only 1 girl out of more than 40 girls (7-8 working a day) will allow foreigners: 5%

2. JK Style - Depending on the day seems to be 1/3(33%) - 50%

3. Non Delivery health place in Ikebukuro individually owned... Owner is very friendly. Cheapest option here. Close to 80%

4. Delivery girl place near my house that is 手こき But much more options exist, have gotten FS from girls here without additional fee, Individually owned, The owner is super friendly from Osaka, have met him many times and talked to him, he always greets me, in a way that would scare me if he wasn't so friendly,.... Girls tell me the owner says that I"m super 元気 and friendly

100% of the girls here are OK.

There are obviously different styles of pitching to the girls based on Mangement.
I'm assuming for option no.1 some random low-level staffer is just asking the girl if she will go see foreigners without any details, They think "Oh, I don't speak English scary". Whereas JK style seems to at least have a Speaks Japanese / Doesn"t speak Japanese separation to try and make the girls more comfortable in accepting foreigners.

Options 3-4 are individually owned and I think the Owner is vouching for me/ encouraging the girls that it is no problem.

Would like to hear your experiences? Have any of you ever moved up in shops that only one girl would accept you to be in the graces of management and have them let you see a bunch of other girls that would normally reject you?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that its much more management's decision than the girls' in a lot of cases. There have been reports here from japanese-passing asian/half foreigners that had the ostensibly foreigner-ng girl tell them they had no idea that was the case.

Personally, I've been 3/3 (including an ex-AV girl) and 1/2 from two different chain delivery shop. Most of the other delis I've used have had foreigner-ok explicitly on the profiles or been non-japanese shops in the first place (kdh and thai).

When I was traveling in Osaka, I stumbled upon a herusu shop. I was trying to find another herusu shop but went into the wrong building. So it's a totally random shop. When the staff found out I'm not Japanese, he hesitated for a while and then picked a card from a dozen in his hand. I asked him if I could choose other girls but he rejected.

A few days later, I went to the biggest herusu chain (or so they claimed) in Osaka. I was passionately welcomed by shop staff, and I asked them if I could pick any one of the girls and they confirmed.

Also, I've encountered more than once that a shop staff called the girl I just picked and asked her if she's ok with a foreigner. So my guess is it's both come from the shop policy and the girls' willingness.

I think it also depends on the area, I guess places with more foreigners like shibuya/shinjuku are more open than shitamachi places where mentalities can stay very japanese...
To the OP, would love to know about your N3 place as now I often am around ikebukuro and would love to know about a welcoming place outside the traditionnal chinese rub and tug places...thanks!

A few days later, I went to the biggest herusu chain (or so they claimed) in Osaka. I was passionately welcomed by shop staff, and I asked them if I could pick any one of the girls and they confirmed.

Just curious, was that the "Profile" chain by any chance? If so, I can confirm they're very foreigner friendly.

Yeah it’s defintely both the shop and the girls preference, especially when it comes down to being with a foreigner who speaks decent Japanese. The X factor in “shop preference” is how busy they are. If it’s a popular shop or the economy is good they are going to have less reason to open their doors to foreigners.

My Japanese is BARELY good enough to book delivery health over the phone so usually it’s a tencho that doesn’t want to deal with my crappy Japanese. Nevertheless I still didn’t have many problems getting a number of appointments booked on my recent Japan trip, with the exception of trying my hand at booking appointments in some smaller cities. Even the most friendly tencho on a place that was listed as “foreigner friendly” in the directory I was using (I think “Pure Lovers”) said that they didn’t have any girls available for foreigners the night I called.

Also keep in mind that it used to be much MUCH worse for foreigners to get an appointment in Japan. People were locked out of all but a few soaplands and you’d be lucky to get a few calls at Osaka Tobita. I went to Tobita, not being god’s gift to women and wearing jeans and a polo, and got 80%+ call rate, and ended up with a super-genki 23 year old cutie.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland