Guest viewing is limited

RC model aircraft

psd

TAG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the laws on radio controlled model aircraft?
Small pre-built electric powered RC planes are really cheap, I was thinking of buying one and building some. But it seems that RC planes are considered the same as drones and basically banned anywhere in Kanto. And as far as I can tell there is no distinction between powered and non powered, RC gliders are covered by the drone laws.

I'm not really interested in catching a train for 2 hours to fly a plane for 10 minutes.

Small pre-built electric powered RC planes are really cheap, I was thinking of buying one and building some. But it seems that RC planes are considered the same as drones and basically banned anywhere in Kanto. And as far as I can tell there is no distinction between powered and non powered, RC gliders are covered by the drone laws.

I'm not really interested in catching a train for 2 hours to fly a plane for 10 minutes.
Here you go: https://www.mlit.go.jp/en/koku/uas.html

The short answer is that Drones & RC Hobby Vehicles are treated the same.

(Edit: I have experience flying drones for aerial photography - so pretty well versed on flying UAV's in Japan. You can request and be granted special permission to fly in restricted areas.)

It may also be worth looking into if there are any RC plane clubs around. I don't fly myself, but a friend of mine is President of a local club, and I've gone with him to watch a few times. My understanding on the Canadian rules is when they were tightened a few years ago, clubs who had an established field in otherwise controlled airspace were allowed to stay.

Reactions: TAG Manager
Good comments.
The problem with RC planes is that you have to learn to fly them, drones are much easier. I'm sure clubs are welcoming. I'll check but I doubt there are any close to my place, RC planes were always internal combustion motors and they're really noisy. Electric ones are really quiet.

Reactions: TAG Manager

Ive seen some when cycling up the edogawa, probably about 35km inland. Dunno how to get there not on bike but i doubt its more than an hour from central tokyo.